FTF prize etiquette

beauxeault

Yesterday I got my first two FTFs. The cache listings didn't mention specific FTF prizes, and the swag I found there was not particularly unique, so I assumed it was just "seed" swag. I didn't take the swag from the first one (and in fact added to it), and traded even or better for the swag in the second one since I thought my kids would enjoy the glow sticks I found there.

But I've wondered about new caches that mention a FTF "prize" or "gift," etc. Is it considered poor etiquette not to trade even or better for a FTF prize? I believe in improving the quality of swag in caches I find, so I'd want to make sure that for any FTF I have, the cache at least has some decent swag for future finders, but in the case of some prizes, like an unactivated geocoin, for instance, I'm not sure I'd be in a good position to trade even with the value of something like that.

I think the best thing you can do is always think about the person who comes after you. Are they going to enjoy finding the cache the way you left it? Most people know what shape they'd like to find a cache in. I'll spruce up a cache if it needs it- wipe out the dirt, remove any ruined swag or garbage, replace any lost necessities (log book, pencil, plastic bag, etc.), usually leave some kind of swag- a nice toy or other enjoyable item and then rehide the cache so it hopefully is the way the cache owner intended and fun to find. If everyone did this the quality of caches would probably improve.

As a cache placer as well as a cache finder I don't like to see really nice items in the cache too long. The swag gets wet from people opening and closing the cache in the rain or snow and often dirty or broken too. I'd rather someone take the item than leave it to rot/rust in the cache. I've seen an awful lot of nice things ruined because people didn't think they could trade even for it. Just leave something nice and maybe later surprise someone with a really nice item of your own in another cache.

That's the way I do it.

You don't have to trade for it if it is a prize. I have found some FTF and left the FTF prize for the next to find. Not sure if that is rude or not but If I don't have a need for it I will just say in my log I left the prize for the STF so come and get it.

I rarely leave FTF prizes, but when I do they are usually very nice. Still, on a number of occasions the FTF prize was still there for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th to find. Sometimes the nicer the prize, the longer it sits because it seems people feel guilty taking it. A brand new Geocaching.com hat (tags still on) once lasted until the 4th finder and a new hydration pack wasn't picked up until the third to find.

I generally don't care for the concept however. I don't like what the FTF side game does to geocaching and I'm hesitant to encourage it.

However if I receive a geocaching related gift that is of no use to me (e.g. I may already have plenty of the item, or I don't collect geocoins) sticking it in a cache for the whatever number to find is a good way to get rid of it.

As a cache placer as well as a cache finder I don't like to see really nice items in the cache too long.

Indeed and that's why I do not put swag any longer in my caches. As a cache finder I have never something to trade with me and I'm not interested into taking something out of the cache.

If there is a FTF prize in a cache and I happen to be the first finder, I leave the prize in the cache. That's however a personal decision and not an etiquette based one.

I am relatively new to caching and within the first month, I had placed a TB out in the world. It was quickly scooped up by someone, also pretty new to caching, who said she would move it on. She ended up holding onto this for a couple of months. I was pretty upset when I saw that she placed her own cache and used my TB as the reward for the FTF. Fortunately, the person with the FTF was a VERY experienced cacher with not only 4500 finds, but also owns 150 caches, who moved the TB along rather keeping it as a prize. It just upset me that this person would use MY TB as a reward for FTF on her cache.

I am relatively new to caching and within the first month, I had placed a TB out in the world. It was quickly scooped up by someone, also pretty new to caching, who said she would move it on. She ended up holding onto this for a couple of months. I was pretty upset when I saw that she placed her own cache and used my TB as the reward for the FTF. Fortunately, the person with the FTF was a VERY experienced cacher with not only 4500 finds, but also owns 150 caches, who moved the TB along rather keeping it as a prize. It just upset me that this person would use MY TB as a reward for FTF on her cache.

No need to be upset. You already know why...see bold. We traded some nice swag for a 10yr Blue Switch Geocoin when we first started. About a month later we finally realized what it was and moved it along. It's part of learning.

I agree. No trade is requested for the prize.

Over the years, I have collected several FTF prizes: small gift certificates, unactivated geocoins, odd toys, tickets to the area's Highland Games, a radio, a pair of walkie-talkies, etc. In a few of my caches, I left coins, a Yellow Jeep TB, and money. In a 43 mile hiking multi I placed, the FTF prize was $10 and there's a completion prize of $40 for the first three groups of finders (or an individual if s/he completed it alone).

Not many caches these days offer FTF prizes. In my area, perhaps one in four or five hundred might have an FTF prize. But I've been out of touch lately in the FTF game. Other people should have fun, too.

I also agree with everything said here, as a finder and hider, the FTF prize is just that, a prize and not subject to the trade rule. The caches I hide, do offer a FTF prize, but I do not put that on the cache page, it is just there marked as such. I do not want that to be the driving force for people to find my caches. I want it be for the experiance, fun, etc. I also am trying to influance my area by making unique caches that stand apart from the usual run of film pots and magnetic micros and nanos.

On the few caches I have been lucky enough to be FTF, there has been no prize, but then that's not why I go out looking.

But back to topic again, FTF prize, it is offered to you to take without trading for. If you want it, take it, if not leave it for the next, and make a note of it in your log so someone else can grab it if they want. I would also add that if the log book allows you to, note it there as well since not everyone reads the logs or may have gone looking same time you where there and got there after you left.

I'd grab them all if I felt like it. They're all in the same park, so why not grab all of them. If you want to give others the chance to claim FTF, you could always sign the back of the logbook. The next really wouldn't be FTF, but if they think so, and are happy about it, why not? It's not like there's 100 caches you get FTF on. We have 500 caches from 5 powertrails. Not one person has claimed FTF for a full power trail. So like I said, you can be nice and not claim them all, but I really wouldn't worry about it for 4 caches in the same park.

No need to be upset. You already know why...see bold. We traded some nice swag for a 10yr Blue Switch Geocoin when we first started. About a month later we finally realized what it was and moved it along. It's part of learning.

I haven't done it for a while, but in the past I have put one or two trackables in a cache I've hidden and state on the cache page that they are there for the FTF, but I never once considered that could be misconstrued and anyone think I was actually giving someone else's property to the FTFer, and I hope no trackable owner ever thought that! I always assumed that the intent was clear that they were there for the FTFer to move on or discover (if they wish)... If I ever do that again, I will definitely make sure the language is clearer, or just not refer to the trackable(s) at all in the cache description!

Edited by funkymunkyzone

I got an add on question....

I was in a local park were 4 caches got published on the same day, I did FTF for two could have done all four but decided not to greedy.... What do you all do in cases like this rack up the FTF or share them?

I did the same thing a few years ago. There was a local event where a bunch of caches were placed in the area based on the theme of the event. I took the day of and was FTF on the first three caches I found in the morning. I took an early lunch for a couple of hours and went out afterwords to find more of the newly hidden caches. Several different finders were FTF on the rest of the caches publshed that day. I'd rather share the joy than be greedy and try to get FTF on all of them.

I haven't done it for a while, but in the past I have put one or two trackables in a cache I've hidden and state on the cache page that they are there for the FTF, but I never once considered that could be misconstrued and anyone think I was actually giving someone else's property to the FTFer, and I hope no trackable owner ever thought that! I always assumed that the intent was clear that they were there for the FTFer to move on or discover (if they wish)... If I ever do that again, I will definitely make sure the language is clearer, or just not refer to the trackable(s) at all in the cache description!

I'd opt for not referring to the trackable at all. If there's a trackable in the cache, then the FTF can grab (or discover) it, if they so desire. If they don't grab the trackable, then the next person to find the cache has the option of grabbing (or discovering) it. And so on. And so on. There's really no need to explain any of that in the cache description; it's just the way trackables work.

I'd opt for not referring to the trackable at all. If there's a trackable in the cache, then the FTF can grab (or discover) it, if they so desire. If they don't grab the trackable, then the next person to find the cache has the option of grabbing (or discovering) it. And so on. And so on. There's really no need to explain any of that in the cache description; it's just the way trackables work.

Yeah that's what I have been doing now for a while. I think I used to mention them because others did, but since stopped because, well, it's just, as you say, how trackables work.