Utility caches

4thnoel

Just got done telling my muggle hubby about a cool cache that I found on a Utility box by the street and he thought that was just stupid to do that. He thought we are causing trouble with the Utility companies. I would like to know if you put one on something like that what response did you get from the utility companies. :blink:

I think every single utility cache I have ever found, whether on or right next to a power box,I have disliked. I feel uncomfortable looking for one and being by one of these things. Worst than power boxes are the electrical maze of wires and gadgets behind some businesses and many caches have been in/on/by/under those things.

I just skip them now for the most part.

First one is "WOW!! What a great idea." The next couple times are "Oh. Maybe I'll check the LPC/Utility Box/telephone pole." Then its "Oh. It's probably a LPC/Utility Box/telephone pole. These are all the same." Then after a while you can almost guess where it is before you get out of your car.

Most of them won't have permission. Some might. Either way most are the same, but occasionally you'll get one that's different enough to make you think, and maybe even not find it.

I wanted to post the picture for you but cant do it yet. One was very neat. It was a light switch box painted to look like part of the big box and it had a magnet in it. Was so cool but admit I was a little nervous about grabbing a light switch.

Yup. I've seen many like that. And every time I don't like it. I think putting caches on or even near utility boxes, poles, etc. is a bad idea. There is one here that was put out right next to other boxes. It is also a box. The cache page even says you have to use a tool to open it and there are SEVERAL boxes there that would fit that description. I got a shock looking in the wrong one for it. Funny thing? It was put out with the cooperation of the city!

First one is "WOW!! What a great idea." The next couple times are "Oh. Maybe I'll check the LPC/Utility Box/telephone pole." Then its "Oh. It's probably a LPC/Utility Box/telephone pole. These are all the same." Then after a while you can almost guess where it is before you get out of your car.

...and that is about the time you arrive at a SHOCKING revelation!

T.D.M. 22, I just read the story and went from thinking this was not a big deal to holy crap I want near it. I now fully understand the danger and will never touch another one again. Thank you for sharing that story. :o

Yes, that blog has been around for quite some time, and has made it's way very high in a Google search of "Geocaching Blogs". I happen to agree with your husband and everything posted here so far. But keep in mind there are "staunch defenders" of utility box hides, that would think anyone who posted here is over reacting, and the hides are no big deal. Even when confronted with the fact that no utility company in North America would EVER give permission.

But hey, someone placed those two caches in your area, right? Lots of people gleefully find them, with no negative feedback, right? Online Geocaching retailers sell the magnetic fake switchplates, right? :lol:

In this recent thread, it was reported that the reviewers will not knowingly publish such caches, even though there are thousands in existence.
Sure, but that's based on concerns about adequate permission. It isn't based on a perceived epidemic of geocachers (or anyone else) being electrocuted by damaged/vandalized utility hardware, or on other supposed safety concerns.

The more that get placed increase the chances that there will be at least one accident. In that case the utility company may get sued, and in return the company may sue Groundspeak. The TOU may protect Groundspeak from its users, but things change with a third party involvement.

The more that get placed increase the chances that there will be at least one accident.
Well, if that's the standard, then Groundspeak should stop listing T5 caches, or caches that require driving. Because accidents involving boating, rock climbing, diving, tree climbing, swimming, driving, etc., are far more common than accidents involving utility boxes that were designed to be installed in public places, exposed to the elements, exposed to casual contact by the public, and exposed to vandals.

I reread the cited thread. Groundspeak's concern about geocaches on utility boxes is based on the requirement for adequate permission.

The more that get placed increase the chances that there will be at least one accident.
Well, if that's the standard, then Groundspeak should stop listing T5 caches, or caches that require driving. Because accidents involving boating, rock climbing, diving, tree climbing, swimming, driving, etc., are far more common than accidents involving utility boxes that were designed to be installed in public places, exposed to the elements, exposed to casual contact by the public, and exposed to vandals.

I reread the cited thread. Groundspeak's concern about geocaches on utility boxes is based on the requirement for adequate permission.

And adequate permission would be almost certainly denied by the utility company due to potential liabilities involving accidents. The reason why I linked to that thread was in the event the OP was interested in reading more about the subject.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

In general I agree that utility box caches are a bad idea. But it also appears that people are lumping telephone poles into the above discussion. Have you ever seen a telephone pole in an urban area, covered in "lost kitten" notices? They become defacto message boards for the community, and I find it unlikely that these users are requesting permission to staple their flyers to the poles either. I'm no legal expert, but making a stance that all flyers/staples/nails need to be removed because they lack permission seems pretty absurd.

In general I agree that utility box caches are a bad idea. But it also appears that people are lumping telephone poles into the above discussion. Have you ever seen a telephone pole in an urban area, covered in "lost kitten" notices? They become defacto message boards for the community, and I find it unlikely that these users are requesting permission to staple their flyers to the poles either. I'm no legal expert, but making a stance that all flyers/staples/nails need to be removed because they lack permission seems pretty absurd.

What you say is true... but the point is -- geocaching is not looking for the family kitty nor is it hosting a garage/yard sale. It is an organized recreation that has guidelines and boundaries to follow. Soccer mom and Little League dad do not have the same constraints and needless to say, their children have even less constraints.

It's pretty simple really... if it ain't your property, permission is necessary as far as placing caches is concerned. Lose sight of that and this recreation activity eventually goes the way of T-Rex.

I avoid them sometimes. I found a standard lightpole in a parking lot a while back, and you needed a screwdriver to get to it. You had to unscrew the bolt holding a cover om, and the cache was inside. I was nervous the whole time I was at GZ. I just knew a cop was somewhere waiting to bust me for something I wasn't trying to do. I won't place any on meter boxes, inside light pole covers, or the like. You can't stop it from happening, but like I said. I don't like them.