Geocachers are better than other people...

...at least when it comes to being on time. :)

I have gone out walking/hiking/geocaching with a wide variety of people, some through meetup groups I've led, some through personal contacts. I've pretty much come to expect that people *will* be late and/or will get lost on the way or they won't show up at all. 10 minutes late is pretty standard. I've waited for people up to 1/2 hour. I've received many frantic phone calls/texts saying they'll be late or they're lost or their car broke down. I've received the 'car broke down' excuse so many times quite frankly I suspect it's code for 'we decided to stay home and watch a movie instead'.

Something I've noticed is that geocachers are very punctual and reliable people. At least the people in my area. It doesn't matter whom I invite out, if we plan to meet at 11am, not only will they be at the designated spot at 11am, but they will often be early. It is pretty common for geocachers here to arrive 1/2 hour early to events. I remember showing up 10 minutes after an event started and there were some people who had not only ordered their food already, but they were almost done eating. :blink:

From my limited experience, it seems to me that geocachers are more punctual and reliable than non-geocachers. I'm wondering if maybe geocaching attracts a certain personality type?

Interesting observation, and I tend to agree. I even made mention of it in my last event log ! http://coord.info/GLA3W9Y7

Like you, I've been to many events where the bulk of attendees were absolutely punctual. Obviously, there are a few who show up late (caching along a route in coming...;-) - but the majority of attendees really are on time or early.

Perhaps it is something in the personality - chasing those coords to a precise location analogous to chasing that clock to the minute.

And like you, in other activities I've done, many think of the meet-up time as a suggestion, ie, sometime after that, 30 mins to an hour - or more!

One trail riding group (horse), after many times of waiting an hour or more for the bulk of attendees to arrive and actually be mounted, I announced that I would be on time, and tacked, mounted and leaving no more than 15 minutes after. Whether anyone showed up, whatever their state of readiness or unreadiness, I'd leave. And then I did it. Me and one other rider left on time ;-)

There's a reason I refer to her as my late wife. She's never on time for anything and there is no changing her. However, we did just return from a 7 day cruise and she was pretty prompt. That ship will leave without you if you are late returning. Only once during the whole week was she late and that was for a meal.

So if we ever reply that we will be attending your event, expect to meet my late wife. Assuming we get there before you get tired of waiting of course.

Something I've noticed is that geocachers are very punctual and reliable people. At least the people in my area. It doesn't matter whom I invite out, if we plan to meet at 11am, not only will they be at the designated spot at 11am, but they will often be early. It is pretty common for geocachers here to arrive 1/2 hour early to events. I remember showing up 10 minutes after an event started and there were some people who had not only ordered their food already, but they were almost done eating.

They do that here too, but I think it's because everyone knows geocachers don't wait. If we say meet at 11, it means we hit the trail at 11. If you're there at 11:05 you'll find an empty parking lot. Well at least a lot full of empty cars.

Edited by briansnat

I have also been sunprised by both the punctuality of most (but not all) geocachers.

Geocachers are also the only community I know that usually shows up with more people than RSVP'd rather than less. All my life if 10 people say they will be somewhere 5 show up; with geocachers 10 say they'll be there and in the end its 15-20.

There's a reason I refer to her as my late wife. She's never on time for anything and there is no changing her. However, we did just return from a 7 day cruise and she was pretty prompt. That ship will leave without you if you are late returning. Only once during the whole week was she late and that was for a meal.

So if we ever reply that we will be attending your event, expect to meet my late wife. Assuming we get there before you get tired of waiting of course.

I have a late husband :D lf I am late for an event, it's his fault. However, I've learned to adjust the schedule by a half an hour (he thinks it's 15 minutes so it averages out!)

Cachers are probably prompt because nobody wants to be hanging out in the parking lot when there are caches to be found!

Interesting observations! If the geocaching trips you speak of usually involve much of a walk, then you're talking about a certain subgroup of geocachers (some cachers hike/walk, some don't). In my experience hikers seem to have a lot in common, whether they geocache or not. But you're saying that the non-geocaching hikers of your acquaintance are more apt to be late than the geocachers.

I've never hiked with a non-geocaching group, so I can't compare. The geocachers I've hiked with were punctual, and although I'm frequently late to things I don't particularly want to go to, I won't be late for something I love, like hiking.

Maybe that's it. Maybe the geocachers are doing something they want to do, rather than something they feel obliged to do. But I'd expect the non-geocaching hikers to feel the same way. Odd.

Interesting observations! If the geocaching trips you speak of usually involve much of a walk, then you're talking about a certain subgroup of geocachers (some cachers hike/walk, some don't). In my experience hikers seem to have a lot in common, whether they geocache or not. But you're saying that the non-geocaching hikers of your acquaintance are more apt to be late than the geocachers.

I've never hiked with a non-geocaching group, so I can't compare. The geocachers I've hiked with were punctual, and although I'm frequently late to things I don't particularly want to go to, I won't be late for something I love, like hiking.

Maybe that's it. Maybe the geocachers are doing something they want to do, rather than something they feel obliged to do. But I'd expect the non-geocaching hikers to feel the same way. Odd.

I think you might have nailed it. I've never thought of it like that before, but it makes sense. That would explain not only the lates, but the no-shows. I've gone out with many different families, some geocachers, some not. The parents that are not that interested in the outdoors, but are doing it for their kids sake are most likely to be late or not show up. If I get together with a geocaching family, they will be on time, likely because the parents are really excited about the outing.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

That's because with all the GPSr's we have no reason to be lost...

Lost no, late to an event because we stopped for just one more cache on the way there...:rolleyes:

This. Although, the rest of the group would probably forgive if that's the reason :P

Or it just doesn't want to be found ...

"Come on you silly bush, where's your cache?!? I should be able to see it! It's probably a rassa-frassin blinky on a wire or something. Curses! Don't these blankitty-blank dog owners know about cleaning up after their dog. Arrgh! Nobody could find this by accident and remove, could they? When was the last time this bush was pruned? Nope, was found recently so that doesn't explain it. Darn you cache, where are you? No, that's a piece of litter. Can't be muggled, can it? Why not take the dingitty trash that's stashed in here with it then. Oh man, I've been looking for 10 minutes, now I'm going to be late! Ah, there it is, now where's by darn fool pen? Did I leave it in the car? ..."

Can't speak from experience on the OP conclusion but as one who placed 75 caches and strived to keep them well maintained (ie. well stocked and properly hidden), I can say that Geocachers are highly likely to plunder caches and be careless in placing them back in their appropriate spot. I think a prefer a cacher who may be late to the party but considerate about the cache.

I actually had a cache once that was placed in a very specific and creative spot, then went missing. I placed a new cache in the original unique spot. About a year or two later I noticed that many who posted finds online had not actually signed the cache log. Turns out the original container was still on the scene but in a very different more traditional spot and most cachers were finding the old container in the wrong spot while the creative hide went unnoticed. That's just one example. I have several others. As for cache plundering, that is guaranteed within a month or so after cache placement.

...at least when it comes to being on time. :)

I have gone out walking/hiking/geocaching with a wide variety of people, some through meetup groups I've led, some through personal contacts. I've pretty much come to expect that people *will* be late and/or will get lost on the way or they won't show up at all. 10 minutes late is pretty standard. I've waited for people up to 1/2 hour. I've received many frantic phone calls/texts saying they'll be late or they're lost or their car broke down. I've received the 'car broke down' excuse so many times quite frankly I suspect it's code for 'we decided to stay home and watch a movie instead'.

Something I've noticed is that geocachers are very punctual and reliable people. At least the people in my area. It doesn't matter whom I invite out, if we plan to meet at 11am, not only will they be at the designated spot at 11am, but they will often be early. It is pretty common for geocachers here to arrive 1/2 hour early to events. I remember showing up 10 minutes after an event started and there were some people who had not only ordered their food already, but they were almost done eating. :blink:

From my limited experience, it seems to me that geocachers are more punctual and reliable than non-geocachers. I'm wondering if maybe geocaching attracts a certain personality type?

This is not at all my experience.

In all the events I've been to, I am usually one of the first to arrive...and I've been late to all of 'em!

Geocaching often makes me late to work and late getting home. If anything, it's made my condition of chronic tardiness worse!

Maybe it's just metro Atlanta traffic.

Edited by J Grouchy

I think you might have nailed it. I've never thought of it like that before, but it makes sense. That would explain not only the lates, but the no-shows. I've gone out with many different families, some geocachers, some not. The parents that are not that interested in the outdoors, but are doing it for their kids sake are most likely to be late or not show up. If I get together with a geocaching family, they will be on time, likely because the parents are really excited about the outing.

A few observations... one as TDM 22 said, most of us have GPS or smart phones both which not only give no reason to be lost, but the also have clocks that reflect th world time standard, via the GPS timing setup... ultra precise. NO EXCUSE to NOT know the right time..

Another thing to consider is that because of that, the people coming probably expect things to be on time.

The organizer in many things is the one who allows late starts (enables it by waiting). IF you get the reputation of waiting around for stragglers then others will start assuming you will do that and feel no reason to be ontime, since they know you will wait (within a time limit) so why be on time?

Have you ever thought that about other events... Joe always starts late so... I can grab a TH DD on the way maybe a cache too!

Doug 7rxc

Have you ever thought that about other events... Joe always starts late so... I can grab a TH DD on the way maybe a cache too!

Doug 7rxc

I might be one of the few who know what this means, Doug ;)

Good point, I tend to focus on WHO I'm responding to... in this case on VI... oops there I go again Vancouver Island...

For the rest of the world... Tim Horton's Double Double (double cream, double sugar, usually LARGE, to go, donuts optional) Coffee.

Doug 7rxc

I see it both ways.

Also seen where those that are so big on punctuality are the most uptight butt clinchers and aren't fun to be around. So sure...being on time is good, but not at the expense of enjoying something, and caching isn't exactly a life priority. In fact, I have to say that sailing enthusiasts are some of the friendliest people I've ever met as a group, and punctuality is not a characteristic well known to them.

Unfortunately anecdotal evidence doesn't make a dataset

One of the reasons I try to always post a meeting time and a later departure time...

People who aim for the first usually make it for the second IF they are coming at all.

The later you are, the more you need to consider making sure one DD is for me! :omnomnom:

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc