14 Geocaching New Year’s Resolutions Revealed for 2014

jackmp54

Theses are some of the 14 "Resolutions" suggested, just wondering how the last one fits in with the others?

• Find a minimum of 365 geocaches

• Have one day where you find 24 geocaches in 24 hours

• Add 5 more countries to the list of places where you’ve found geocaches

• Reach a milestone that ends in three zeroes (like 2,000)

And while doing all the above....

• Forget about the numbers, just have fun geocaching

Just a thought! :unsure:

There was also:

• Host or attend a geocaching event

• Create a creative geocache that will earn (many) Favorite Points

• Solve the Puzzle Caches that stumped you in 2013

• Log DNF's (Did Not Find)

• Spend more time geocaching with family

• Be the First to Find at least once

• Find a Terrain 5

• Discover a geocaching location that makes you say “wow” once a month

Theses are some of the 14 "Resolutions" suggested, just wondering how the last one fits in with the others?

• Add 5 more countries to the list of places where you’ve found geocaches

Resolution #15, in order to follow the other 14: "Quit job."

:unsure:

Afterward, live under bridge, after placing cache with a hint that says, "Trolls live there."

:laughing:

I like the 5 countries one- someone at HQ has stumbled across the "collecting countries" thread! ;)

I guess the equivalent would be 5 states in the US.

Even for a a country collector five countries is a bit of a challenge. I also like "Find a cache make you go WOW at least once a month". My addition would be:

Find caches that are memorable. At the end of the year I'd like to go back and look at my list of logs and remember something about every one of them.

I like the 5 countries one- someone at HQ has stumbled across the "collecting countries" thread! ;)

Easy enough, I suppose, if one lives in Europe. Not so easy (i.e., expensive) if collecting a new country involves transoceanic flight!

Easy enough, I suppose, if one lives in Europe. Not so easy (i.e., expensive) if collecting a new country involves transoceanic flight!

Over in another forum I read there was a discussion about traveling and someone mentioned a guy from the UK that visited 201 countries without ever getting on an airplane and did it for about $100 a day. The most countries I've managed to visit during a single trip is 3 (thought I've done it 4 times). I could have done 4 countries on my last trip but I decided I"d rather spend a few hours in Copenhagen than take a train over to Malmo, Sweden from the CPH airport.

On the project-gc page you can look up the number of different of countries by cachers from a specific country. I checked several countries and from what I can tell the highest number of countries is 90 by a geocacher in Germany.

I think a more realistic goal would be to find at least five caches more than 250 miles from home. That's well outside most cachers local caching scene (and would mean finding caches by non-local hiders) but is still doable as a day trip.

I should be grabbing three new countries this summer, with a possible 4th!

Tomorrow morning I will at least have collected caches in country number 2 this year. Unfortunately I've cached here before (Qatar). But anyway.. it's always nice to see something else. Some new countries should certainly be possible this year, but I doubt it will be 5. Finding memorable caches sounds great! When a friend asks me about a specific cache in our area I often don't remember it anymore :yikes:

Over in another forum I read there was a discussion about traveling and someone mentioned a guy from the UK that visited 201 countries without ever getting on an airplane and did it for about $100 a day. The most countries I've managed to visit during a single trip is 3 (thought I've done it 4 times). I could have done 4 countries on my last trip but I decided I"d rather spend a few hours in Copenhagen than take a train over to Malmo, Sweden from the CPH airport.

On the project-gc page you can look up the number of different of countries by cachers from a specific country. I checked several countries and from what I can tell the highest number of countries is 90 by a geocacher in Germany.

I think a more realistic goal would be to find at least five caches more than 250 miles from home. That's well outside most cachers local caching scene (and would mean finding caches by non-local hiders) but is still doable as a day trip.

201 countries would be quite a feat as there are only 196 countries in the world. How did he get to Australia?

Edited by Heli Leo

201 countries would be quite a feat as there are only 196 countries in the world. How did he get to Australia?

The there is some debate as to how many countries there are in the world. The United Nations recognizes 193 countries. He also visited Taiwan, Vatican City, Palestine, Kosovo, Western Sahara and the four home nations of The United Kingdom. Apparently he had to make quite a few water crossings and managed to hitch rides on container ships for most of them. Here's a map of the route he took.

article-2239087-163C9432000005DC-457_634x380.jpg

• Add 5 more countries to the list of places where you've found geocaches

Resolution #15, in order to follow the other 14: "Quit job."

:unsure:

Afterward, live under bridge, after placing cache with a hint that says, "Trolls live there."

:laughing:

GC3YN2C

On the other foot...

15. (or whatever) Report (to your local reviewer) every cache you find that may be a violation of the guidelines.

Get involved! Take pictures and send them to the reviewer.

Nobody (well very few perhaps) wants to be the cache police.

But, do YOU want to be confronted by an angry property owner or security because someone else was afraid to speak up?

Do you want land managers to ban Geocaching on their lands because someone (YOU!) was afraid to speak up?