how do you get color text when you Submit a log?

Fireflying

All things in moderation, please.

Would you go to church dressed like a children's entertainer?

Aw, quit clowning around! :anitongue:

While you're posting, do you see the fonts and sizes above the text area? Just to the right is a color palette logo. Click it & a choice of colors appears. Click your choice and go!

Aw, quit clowning around! :anitongue:

While you're posting, do you see the fonts and sizes above the text area? Just to the right is a color palette logo. Click it & a choice of colors appears. Click your choice and go!

no I am talking about in logs...for geocaches. Not forums. When I submit a log there is not color or size or anything to.

I'm a little confused. Not sure what you are talking about here. Is it relevant to my question?

I think what he's implying here is that if you want to add some color in your online logs to do so in moderation. When web pages were first created (in 1990), the HTML markup language provided the ability to format text using a range of fonts, sizes, and colors and there were some that created pages with a variety of colors and font sizes, just because they could. The infamous marquee tag (which causes text to blink) is still considered the pinnacle of lameness.

As someone suggested earlier you can colorize text by using UBB code, a markup language that is support in the logs (and the forums). Here is a page that explains How to use UBB Code

I'm a little confused. Not sure what you are talking about here. Is it relevant to my question?

I think what he's implying here is that if you want to add some color in your online logs to do so in moderation. When web pages were first created (in 1990), the HTML markup language provided the ability to format text using a range of fonts, sizes, and colors and there were some that created pages with a variety of colors and font sizes, just because they could. The infamous marquee tag (which causes text to blink) is still considered the pinnacle of lameness.

As someone suggested earlier you can colorize text by using UBB code, a markup language that is support in the logs (and the forums). Here is a page that explains How to use UBB Code

I think what Viajero is saying is that "serious" entries are in black & white. gc.com is like a church, & colorful logs are like clowns in church! :grin: I think he means don't overdo the color - & he's worried that you will. :lol:

As for cache listings, you can get into color using html text ... it complicates things, but it's learnable.

I guess it was an obscure way to say that you should use the formatting in moderation.

Also, keep in mind that many users, especially the owners of the caches you will be posting to, will be reading the logs through email notifications, which are not formatted but show the raw code. We have a local cacher that relies heavily on formatting his logs, to the point of changing every letter to a different color. It makes the logs almost unreadable in the email notifications.

Here is an example of what a typical email look like,

[blue]I[/blue][green] found[/green][red] your[/red][green] geocache,
[/green] [blue]Thanks,[/blue] [brown]G[/brown][green]e[/green][limegreen]o[/limegreen][maroon]c[/maroon][navy]a
[/navy][orange]c[/orange][purple]h[/purple][red]e[/red][teal]r[/teal]

To add,

The html coding that you can use isn't something that you can edit on your log like you can here in the forums. You will need to use a program like Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) to format your logs for you, or you can cut and paste the html "wording" from a file you save elsewhere.

Once you learn how to write the code, you can keep cutting and pasting, or you might eventually be comfortable enough to just type it in the log form as you go.

NYPaddleCacher's post above has a good ubb link to take a peek at. Good luck!