Being Forced into Eventual Upgrade

BigOpe

Please forgive double post -- I put this over in garage sales, then realized this might be a better place but didn't know how to move it.

I'm at almost 2200 finds with a plain-vanilla ETrex H, but had to buy a replacement last winter when the buttons on one wore out, then again last week when I lost the replacement. I confess -- I'm something of a Luddite, perfectly happy with the Etrex H, but it's getting harder and harder to find the GPS itself, not to mention cables and compatible GPS-to-PC software. If anything happens to this latest ETrex H, I think I'm going to be forced into moving up whether I want to or not.

That being said, I still want to stay as "plain vanilla" as possible -- adds to the challenge, dontcha know. I know the ETrex has many upgrade models -- 10, 20, 30, Venture, and on and on. I haven't paid any attention at all to Lowrance or Magellan, but I assume they have basic models as well. So I'm really looking for folks who will share their experiences with ANY brand of geocaching-focused GPS that is toward the bottom of the respective product line. Not interested in "It was okay but I wanted a color screen," or "I liked it but it wouldn't connect to the Internet," or any of those kinds of stories; I want to know what's the next simplest GPS up the food chain, any brand, that will do what the ETrex H does and is still more or less widely available in stores and in the aftermarket (EBay, Amazon, Craigslist, etc.) Also not interested in using it in my car -- strictly for geocaching and general hiking.

Anyone with experiences and advice to share, please chime in.

eTrex 10....

Bread and butter only. Grey-scale screen, basic maps (they all come with maps, now). No microSD slot but still holds at least 500 caches. Standard motion compass (as the eTrex H) so there is no e-compass to fiddle with.

As the '10 is current production, I would go with that over the Venture, if you want basic GPSr only capabilities.

The Venture (no suffix) is about the same, but with a color screen, but it is discontinued, so support longevity leans towards the '10.

You are used to using a Garmin... venturing into another make brings with it a learning curve.

@ $1,600 AUD for an Etrex H I can understand why you would want to upgrade. :blink::lol::D

2a9efc5.jpg

One week ago I bought a Garmin Etrex H for $57 AUD. Activating the service menu showed it had 10.5 hours of use, as new.

Get onto ebay and just buy another one! ;)

Edited by PigSti

Good for use as a paperweight or doorstop. I have a like new one, it was the first unit I bought in 2002 for $100. I'm keeping it for nostalgic purposes.

Good for use as a paperweight or doorstop.

Obviously you live in a tent!

-----------------------------------

I have an Etrex 20 and an Etrex H.

Personally I prefer the Etrex H!

The Etrex 20 uses obsolete very slow bus technology dressed up in a slick marketing led case with buggy software! My old Motorola V3 has a better screen and it's crappy to say the least but it still just works if you don't mind waiting, waiting and waiting.

Etrex H does ok but without an innocuous spoof and sparkle UI!

Thanks to all. Wow, that thousand-quid ETrex is pretty nutso! I ordered a used one in allegedly very good condition for $43 shipped, hope it turns out OK. I saw some others at auction for fairly low prices but some sharpie had set his auto-bid to bump me by a buck no matter what (within reason) I bid. Even though I have one coming, I did go out and bid on the one PigSti and Bamboozle posted, and did not immediately get overbid. If I actually win I guess I'll have a spare. After I posted here I looked around and found an Etrex 10 "kit" for $110, including a cable, sofware, etc., which actually is pretty good; other 10's were around $200. Happy caching to all.

The GPS 60 is a tried and true plain vanilla GPS unit. Might look into one of those when your next eTrex wears out. They're a bit more durable, which might mean you're moving from Vanilla to French Vanilla. Also, if I remember correctly, they can connect to the computer with a standard USB cable instead of the stupid serial to USB converter.

Well, I got a replacement H on EBay, "used but in very good condition," and for the most part all is good for the present. Have found 50-odd caches with it so far. I am finding, though, that this one is somewhat more sensitive in the antenna department -- takes a bit longer to grab enough satellites for good accuracy, and complains about bad sky view if I stick in my pocket for a few minutes, which the previous two did not. It also has a tendency, SOMETIMES but not always, to jump around or lose its fix; I'll get a good GZ reading, but then I take a few steps and it says I'm 50' off in one direction, few more steps and I'm 50' off in an entirely different direction, etc. Not sure if there's anything I can do about that.

If you want one of the best units ever made try this :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Auction=1&_nkw=Magellan+Meridian+Platinum&_armrs=1&_from=R9&_ipg=&_sop=1&_dct=1&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

Sturdiest case ever made with great button arrangement. Quad helex antenna, 3-axis compass , mapping ( a 2G SD card will hold detail maps of the entire U.S. and still have enough room to store over 14,000,000 caches...the whole U.S. can be loaded in named files that you can pull up whenever you want ), feature for finding offset caches, and too much more to list. I own about a dozen, some new in the box, and still use them on occasion.

Magellan Meridian series - Probably the must rugged unit ever made, everything Magellan came out after that was all downhill for them. Meridians felt 100 percent professional when holding them in your hand. The only downside of the Meridian series was the boomerang effect, which lead one to walk past to cache by 30 feet or so only for the unit to correct itself a few seconds later. Owners learned quickly to set the unit down and let it start auto-averaging.

Interesting, and there's a slew of them on EBay for not much money. I see one of the reviews says all input is manual -- arrgh! Is that your experience?

I load the Platinum with GSAK just like all my others....it holds 500 caches at a time but the SD card holds 14,000,000 in files of 500 that you can name and load as needed.

I can't describe how good this unit is....its not paperless but if you have a smartphone ( or a PDA like we used for years ) its all you need.

Interesting, and there's a slew of them on EBay for not much money. I see one of the reviews says all input is manual -- arrgh! Is that your experience?

I load the Platinum with GSAK just like all my others....it holds 500 caches at a time but the SD card holds 14,000,000 in files of 500 that you can name and load as needed.

I can't describe how good this unit is....its not paperless but if you have a smartphone ( or a PDA like we used for years ) its all you need.

And the Meridians have a very good support forum that is still well moderated:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Magellan_Meridian/info

The Meridians, especially the Platinum with the smoothest 3 axis compass ever made , are truly the holy grail of gps units making new ones look like junk. If Magellan would have just continued the series adding higher sensitivity receivers , color screens , etc no one would be buying anything else.

Please forgive double post -- I put this over in garage sales, then realized this might be a better place but didn't know how to move it.

I'm at almost 2200 finds with a plain-vanilla ETrex H, but had to buy a replacement last winter when the buttons on one wore out, then again last week when I lost the replacement. I confess -- I'm something of a Luddite, perfectly happy with the Etrex H, but it's getting harder and harder to find the GPS itself, not to mention cables and compatible GPS-to-PC software. If anything happens to this latest ETrex H, I think I'm going to be forced into moving up whether I want to or not.

That being said, I still want to stay as "plain vanilla" as possible -- adds to the challenge, dontcha know. I know the ETrex has many upgrade models -- 10, 20, 30, Venture, and on and on. I haven't paid any attention at all to Lowrance or Magellan, but I assume they have basic models as well. So I'm really looking for folks who will share their experiences with ANY brand of geocaching-focused GPS that is toward the bottom of the respective product line. Not interested in "It was okay but I wanted a color screen," or "I liked it but it wouldn't connect to the Internet," or any of those kinds of stories; I want to know what's the next simplest GPS up the food chain, any brand, that will do what the ETrex H does and is still more or less widely available in stores and in the aftermarket (EBay, Amazon, Craigslist, etc.) Also not interested in using it in my car -- strictly for geocaching and general hiking.

Anyone with experiences and advice to share, please chime in.

You might try finding a GPS that uses a memory card SD/Micro SD, my older gps is a Magellan Explorist 500LE, I still use it as a backup, I no longer have a cable for it but I can take out the memory card and load the caches onto it. I still see the explorist on Ebay. I got out of the GPS business many years ago so I have not kept up with Garmin offerings.

The Meridians, especially the Platinum with the smoothest 3 axis compass ever made , are truly the holy grail of gps units making new ones look like junk. If Magellan would have just continued the series adding higher sensitivity receivers , color screens , etc no one would be buying anything else.

there is this Magellan but it might be overkill for geocaching My link