What adventures are you having with August Challenge?

I'm in the "never tried to streak before, but am trying this anyways" group and having fun with it. Definitely not something I'll do for the long-run but for a single month it seemed like a reasonable and fun challenge. To make things more fun, I post a "streak"-themed picture for each day that I find a cache this month. For example:

ccd34f20-ec80-4df7-b024-6bcd1b58080b.jpg

I'll be going to a local event at the end of the month to swap stories. Looking forward to it.

When I saw this streak I decided it wasn't hard enough for me. I've done 365, I wanted something memorable. So I looked at the geocaching calendar Groundspeak made and decided to get a cache that corresponded with every one of the dates. Little did I know that the souvenirs matched the days of the month!!! Worked out great! Here we are on the 27th and I got a cache called "Fish Luck" where you get a fish sticker when you find it. I'll be posting a blog at some point when I get all of my pictures together (and, since we're almost done with the streak anyway, I may as well wait until it's finished!)

Some pictures were harder than others (I lucked out on the hot air balloon one) and some were easy (light pole, anyone?)

At any rate, it's been a LOT of fun for me and I'm grateful for the fun challenge!!!

I'm in the "never tried to streak before, but am trying this anyways" group and having fun with it. Definitely not something I'll do for the long-run but for a single month it seemed like a reasonable and fun challenge. To make things more fun, I post a "streak"-themed picture for each day that I find a cache this month. For example:

ccd34f20-ec80-4df7-b024-6bcd1b58080b.jpg

I'll be going to a local event at the end of the month to swap stories. Looking forward to it.

Nice streak. Looks familiar; is that from Zion NP?

My August adventures?

I started the month by hiding a letterbox hybrid. http://coord.info/GC37TTW

I worked on a soon to be published puzzle cache. (Just gotta hide the final)

I worked on a not real soon to be published Wherigo night cache. (It'll be ready in another month or so)

I have found zero caches.

Just an update as we near the end of August.

The puzzle cache I was working on got a complete makeover, and it got published.

I'm about a third of the way laying out the reflector trail for my night Wherigo.

Still no finds.

I didn't get arrested caching at sunset in an industrial park :blink:

Two observations of the benefits to the game:

1) people who cached a few times but didn't really get into the game and people who haven't cached in a long long time took up the challenge.

2) missing, broken, and otherwise attention-needing caches are getting repaired, replaced or archived.

Both are good for the game

The August challenge has been extremely good for our family. It's taken us places we've never been before, both locally and further afield. We've lived here 9 years, and never knew there was a dinosaur park right in town where you can KEEP some of the (non-dinosaur) fossil samples you find?! We've danced in a stone circle, watched dragon boats race, met new friends, introduced old friends to geocaching, and a sibling spent part of yesterday wandering Brussels in search of a first geocache not so swarmed by muggles that it could actually be approached. We have our first two geocaches under construction, and plans for 4 more. We've released our first trackables into the wild.

Would I prefer it if, on 1 September, all 31 of our souvenirs went Poof! and just one souvenir took their place: "The 31 Days of August GC Streak"? YES. I hope that happens.

Regardless, I'm very glad our family accepted this challenge. We're headed out the door right now to go to Mt Vernon - FINALLY. Which will get us a new State souvenir, as well. Win-Win!!!

I've managed to keep the streak going...and I've attended my first events this month, too. Atlanta Area Geocachers have published a "snap shot" series of flash mob events for each day of the year at landmarks around town. I've only been to one snap shot and one meet and greet, but I've met a number of folks whose names I've been seeing constantly since I started geocaching. It's certainly refreshed my interest in getting around town to new spots. Tomorrow will be my only August souvenir not in Georgia as I'll be driving up to NC this afternoon.

I think I have found caches on six days this month. I don't cache based on the calendar. I knew I don't have a find on August 26th but didn't find time to find a cache this past Monday. With some therapy I think I will get past this episode. The calendar tells me I need to find a cache on October 14. I may remember to try.

I think I have found caches on six days this month. I don't cache based on the calendar. I knew I don't have a find on August 26th but didn't find time to find a cache this past Monday. With some therapy I think I will get past this episode. The calendar tells me I need to find a cache on October 14. I may remember to try.

This is the HAPPY August thread!! :)

We have really enjoyed the August Challenge. It has been interesting to say the least finding caches that didn't require a lot of physical exertion. (it is VERY hot here in TX) We don't typically do urban caches (especially in August!)but this challenge they are a must. I will say that it renewed our interest in finding the city caches though. There are quite a few great and fun hides that are challenging as well. I discovered a nice TB motel within 1/2 mile from our house. LOVED it!

We are heading up to the home of Geocashing (Washington/Oregon) tomorrow and we look forward to getting some awesome caches!

We started geocaching in June of this year so the August challenge seemed ideal. We both made sure we always went out and found one for the day even if we were tired, or it was raining or whatever. We really wanted to meet this challenge!

However, on August 24th, I had a heart attack. I am only 43 and I thought in good shape, but I was a smoker (notice the WAS!) and I have lots of family history of heart disease. I ended up having a 6 by pass surgery on August 25th.

I want to thank the love of my life, my husband Stew for knowing how important this streak was, and for making sure to keep it going. That Saturday (24th) he went across the street from the hospital to grab one. Same thing for the day of my surgery. He made sure to go out and grab one on his way to visit me every day to keep this going!

I am happy to say, he did it. and we managed to get the 31 days of geocaching!

I am also happy to say I have healed up well and we just went out this weekend and did our first caching since this darn heart issue!

I love this game, and I love my hubby!

Lana... (stewlana)