Your Walter Mitty Caching Vacation

Given reasonable time and a large enough budget (and excluding going to the space station!), what's your idealized caching trip destination? For purposes of discussion, let's limit it to a single country or at least a single identifiable region. ("The Alps" is allowed; "Europe" is not; a "Baltic Cruise" would be okay, "round the world cruise" would not).

For me -- and we may do this next summer -- is taking the whole family to do the entire ring road of Iceland, maybe taking about 12 days to do it. The more specific, the better.

Given reasonable time and a large enough budget (and excluding going to the space station!), what's your idealized caching trip destination? For purposes of discussion, let's limit it to a single country or at least a single identifiable region. ("The Alps" is allowed; "Europe" is not; a "Baltic Cruise" would be okay, "round the world cruise" would not).

For me -- and we may do this next summer -- is taking the whole family to do the entire ring road of Iceland, maybe taking about 12 days to do it. The more specific, the better.

For me it would be someplace I'd like to go even if I only found 1 cache. Tahiti would be nice.

Antarctica. Seriously. In the next few years, God willing.

Although I mentioned Tahiti, if I had the opportunity to go to Antarctica I'd jump all over it.

If I had to stay on the same "road" I'd consider E75 in Europe which appears to start in Zelina, Slovakia then goes through Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia, and Greece. With a few side trips one could add Poland, the Czech Republic, Romania, Croatia, and Bulgaria to the list of countries one could visit.

For me it would be someplace I'd like to go even if I only found 1 cache. Tahiti would be nice.

You are, as we said in my law school days, fighting the hypothetical. ;) But, yes, I'd be up to a Tahiti trip and grab a cache or two on the way.

I know you want to have something specific, but really, I've been wanting to go to Europe for years, now. I want to have the time to putter through as many countries as possible, which isn't hugely realistic but I keep holding out for it. I especially want to go to the UK, Germany, Croatia and Italy, to name the highest priority countries. My grandfather immigrated to the US from Croatia, so I want to visit his hometown (Kostajnica). It would be great to find relatives, but don't know if it's possible to find them at this point.

I know you want to have something specific, but really, I've been wanting to go to Europe for years, now. I want to have the time to putter through as many countries as possible, which isn't hugely realistic but I keep holding out for it. I especially want to go to the UK, Germany, Croatia and Italy, to name the highest priority countries. My grandfather immigrated to the US from Croatia, so I want to visit his hometown (Kostajnica). It would be great to find relatives, but don't know if it's possible to find them at this point.

My wife's grandparents migrated from Croatia.

I don't know if this will work, but how about a trip like this:

My link

You are, as we said in my law school days, fighting the hypothetical. ;) But, yes, I'd be up to a Tahiti trip and grab a cache or two on the way.

Tahiti is hypothetical. Going someplace I'd like to visit even if I only found one cache, though, is not. I only found one cache in Zimbabwe and one in Tanzania but how many people get to see Victoria Falls and go on a day safari in one of Tanzania's National Parks?

My wife's grandparents migrated from Croatia.

I don't know if this will work, but how about a trip like this:

My link

Cool! B)

Lol, I forgot that Turkey and Greece are at the top of my list, as well.

The company I work for has two new jets hangared at the Baton Rouge Metro Airport. We are allowed to fly on them for free on a standby basis if seats are available. They fly from Baton Rouge to Lake Jackson TX to Midland MI to Philadelphia PA. Every day. I've always had a notion to fly the whole route and pick up caches in all four states in a day, or maybe two. I think that would be pretty cool.

Hmm... A friend went on a one-week canoe camping trip. I'd love to go on one myself sometime. I bet I could even find a cache or two along the way...

I've done a four day camping trip in the Adirondacks by kayak but that was before I started caching. There are a few caches in the area now though. I also know three people (done some kayak training with them) that circumnavigated Iceland by kayak. If they were geocachers (two of them are from the PNW) they might have found a few of the came caches as the OP plans to find.

Something that I've always to do is take a vacation and rent a canal boat and spend a week or two traveling down the canals of the UK or the Midi Canal in southern France. I would imagine that there are a few caches in little villages along the way. There are a wide range of sleep aboard narrow boats one can rent for the week like this.

YourCanalBoat.jpg

Something that I've always to do is take a vacation and rent a canal boat and spend a week or two traveling down the canals of the UK or the Midi Canal in southern France. I would imagine that there are a few caches in little villages along the way. There are a wide range of sleep aboard narrow boats one can rent for the week like this.

Yes there are. I've not done a canal boat vacation, but I've found several caches near canals (including needing to avoid the gaze of muggles on a docked canal boat). I have done short canoe trips on a canal.

This cache near me you need to use a boat of some sort to find it on a canal.

Caching wise there are two caches I would really like to go to:

GC1BE91 International Space Station

But note for some reason I would really LOVE to go to the coordinates themselves -as opposed to going up to the ISS- and log a genuine DNF. However, I think that's not possible as if I'm correct the exact coordinates in Baikonur are in a restricted area.

The other cache is The Door to Hell GC23HNZ. Going to this cache is actually a real option and might just be on our list within a few years.

Though not a cache, but kinda related, I would also visit N 46 17 E086 40...

BTW: I had to look up who Walter Mitty is...

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

Caching wise there are two caches I would really like to go to:

GC1BE91 International Space Station

But note for some reason I would really LOVE to go to the coordinates themselves -as opposed to going up to the ISS- and log a genuine DNF. However, I think that's not possible as if I'm correct the exact coordinates in Baikonur are in a restricted area.

The other cache is The Door to Hell GC23HNZ. Going to this cache is actually a real option and might just be on our list within a few years.

Though not a cache, but kinda related, I would also visit N 46 17 E086 40...

BTW: I had to look up who Walter Mitty is...

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

Another one similar to "The Door to Hell" that I'd like to find is "Erta Ale Volcano" (GCB5D7) in norrhern Ethiopia. I may be going beck to Ethiopia (for the third time) in August but I'd be traveling south of Addis. The other one I'd like to do is "Rift Valley" (GC53) in Kenya. It's the first virtual cache (placed in June 2000) and has only had 9 finds.