I just saw the coolest thing

I was out looking for ELKHORN CROSSING today when a bit of movement caught my eye.

Not 10 feet away was a deer fawn laying curled in a ball, as i approached it didnt even twitch. I took a good look from a couple feet away then left quietly.

As a hunter and outdoorsman Ive seen many deer but none like this. It was incredable, I had to tell everyony.

Glad I found this great sport.

BTW I quit looking for the cashe I thought I'd seen everything for one day.

I love to find things like this, and do the responsible thing and let it be. There are things around that no one in a city or building could even hope to see. Got to get out in the world and back to nature, of course with the latest technology.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

When I was just a kid,about 20..ok 30 years ago,the same thing happened to my dad.

He was a self employed logger at the time.

As I recall,at quiting time he had left a hitch(several trees in a bunch)hooked to the skidder on the side of a mountain close to our home. When he returned the next morning, there was a small fawn curled up in the hitch. It was scared,but did not offer to move. Dad came home and grabbed his camera,went back and took a few snapshots. (We still have them.)He took the rest of the day off to let the fawn move along in its own time.

He also sent the pics to Outdoor Life,where they,along the story were published.

We lost my dad a couple of years ago, but every time I see those old photos I still can't help but smile.

Maine MountainMan

quote:
Originally posted by wyoduckhunter:

I love to find things like this, and do the responsible thing and let it be. There are things around that no one in a city or building could even hope to see. Got to get out in the world and back to nature, of course with the latest technology.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

I couldn't help but how your signature line contrasted with the subject...

Still its a moment. One that will stay with you forever. That is the spice of life.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I was back packing part of the AT in "99", and came across the same thing. A fawn curled up in a ball by a tree. Only after a closer observation, I found that the fawn ws dead. It looked like it died in it's sleep.

Some how I have a feeling that the mother of the fawn you saw was probably dead, or perhaps the fawn got lost. It is not normal for a fawn to get seperated from it's mother. Even so, you did the right thing by leaving nature be.

Take Care

Rocketman1

The mother was probably fine, we can come across this a couple of times a month and if you watch, she comes back, just don't touch the little ones. As for my signature line, a large part of hunting is in the study of the life of the animals, not to just kill something that moves. I go catch and release hunting with my camera way more than a gun. And the largest statement about my sig line is I hate football and the other "sports".

I was visiting friends in Kanata, Ontario and we went to find the "Trillium" cache located nearby. We took our friends and their kids with us and as we were cutting through a field, his boy shouted "DEER". A doe and a fawn made their way cautiously away from us. However, they were so used to humans that they simply stopped at a safe distance.

We looked at the far end of the field and a third deer was crossing through some trees at a leisurely pace. I tried bleating but nothing. So, I let loose with a whistle and watched as it lifted its head to check us out. It was truely awesome.

We hit some railway tracks and I decided to go back and get the car. Rounding a tree, I ran smack into the doe once again and she was only 10 yards away. She never moved! I looked around because I knew that fawn was around somewhere. Sure enough, as I moved away from the doe, I spotted the fawn laying down under a tree. I'm guessing that it was a week old or less.

I'm a hunter too and was extremely ticked that I didn't have a gun or a camera with me (they were safe because they weren't in season!).

The best cache so far for me. My boys and wife were thrilled to see the deer.

[This message was edited by Taxman003 on May 22, 2003 at 12:58 PM.]

quote:
I had no idea that roadrunners (the birds) could be found in Arkansas, especially ini the Ozarks.

Same here, that was until one ran in front of my car while driving the Talimena Scenic Highway in the Ouchitas a few months back. Can't remember if we were still in Oklahoma, or had crossed into Arkansas but it was near the border. I have seen them in the more desert like areas of western Oklahoma but that one caught me off guard.

Also saw turkeys on the same trip, which didn't surprise me. They were stuck up turkerys though. They didn't want to play the "watch beatnik gobble like an idiot from the car window and gobble back game".

-beatnik-

The fawn was probably ok and the mother was probably just off eating.

Deer rely on their coloration to survive and fawns learn early on that their best defense is to curl up and become invisible.

In hunted areas, the biggest deer are those that retain the trust in their ability to blend in their whole lives. The deer that move when danger is nearby are the ones that become dinner for a predator or hunter. As long as the wind is blowing away from the predator, most won't won't be able to detect a hidden deer.

"We have such sites to show you..."

quote:
Originally posted by Taxman003:

We hit some railway tracks and I decided to go back and get the car. Rounding a tree, I ran smack into the doe once again and she was only 10 yards away. She never moved! I looked around because I knew that fawn was around somewhere. Sure enough, as I moved away from the doe, I spotted the fawn laying down under a tree. I'm guessing that it was a week old or less.

I'm a hunter too and was extremely ticked that I didn't have a gun or a camera with me (they were safe because they weren't in season!).

I'm incredibly glad you didn't have a gun. Enjoying the countryside does not mean "kill stuff in it".

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

Hey Rockratgirl,

I completely understand your comment and forgot that I wasn't in a hunting forum when I made my comment. Although I am an avid hunter, I am NOT some gun toting lunatic. I would have been more than happy to snap a dozen pictures of this beauty at such a short range. She wasn't scared of me in the least (or she was in position to defend her fawn). Anyways, it's the closest I've ever been to a deer and it was truly exicting.

A time for everything and everything in time!

Even though you enter the wrong waypoint....you're still in the right spot!

quote:
Originally posted by jeepjerryp7m8:

I was out looking for ELKHORN CROSSING today when a bit of movement caught my eye.

Not 10 feet away was a deer fawn laying curled in a ball, as i approached it didnt even twitch. I took a good look from a couple feet away then left quietly.

As a hunter and outdoorsman Ive seen many deer but none like this. It was incredable, I had to tell everyone.

Glad I found this great sport.

BTW I quit looking for the cashe I thought I'd seen everything for one day.

I felt the same way when we found this one ...

fawn at cache site

Only movements we saw were breathing and an occasional twitch of the ear ... and we were inches from him or her! That instinct to stay where mama puts them is so strong ... in fact, many fawns are killed each year down here where we have fire ants, because they won't move!

Happy Trails!

quote:
... I can quit any time I like ... really, I CAN!!

Candy (Moosiegirl)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

I just had a deer experience while on this cache in D.C.!

--------------------------------------------------

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and think of what other words have "under"; in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.

We have seen many deer while out galavanting.

I've never seen a fawn bedded down before. That must have been an awesome thing to see!

Last week while in eastern Washington we came accross a young doe laying in what little shade there was. She didn't seem too upset to see us. We were only about 30' from her! I was able to snap a picture. It was a very cool encounter!

107353_1400.JPG

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

Funny, I was walking in the Garden of the Gods today and see this deer off the trail eating grass, I stood there for ten minutes watching it watch me from 20 feet away, biggest ears I have ever seen on anything in my life. icon_biggrin.gif

I'll be watching for you from within the trees, or a cave, or under a rock, or on top of a Butte, Mesa, or a Bluff. And car lockouts are high priced and merciful on the trailhead if I have my tools, lol.

Taxman I know what you mean about a deer being close. I just saw a doe tonight when I went to check on my cache. She was watching us walk out of the woods. But last October during archery season I had a doe come to within 7 Steps of where I was sitting behind a bush. She stayed there for 20 minutes and never offered a shot. I could have reached out and pulled on her tail. I must admit I was a wreck after that, I was sure she could hear my heart going thump thump thump.

"If you mess with a Porcupine you might just get the quills. LOL I just had to say that"

I took this picture while geocaching on Long Island. Yes, I was really that close. I still can't believe I got this shot. In some areas of Long Island the deer are so used to people they will eat right out of your hand. I've done it, it's an amazing exprience.

1720586_200.jpg

At the Geo-Jamboree a couple months ago (at Ward Pound Ridge, NY) I went after a travelling cache that had been placed for the event Friday night before midnight. There was a fawn bedded down by a tree within sight of the cache site who watched me search for over half an hour. Not finding it, I came back first thing the next morning... I short-cut through the woods, only to come across another fawn, who approached (presumably used to being fed from the nearby campground: bad humans!) I backed away but it kept coming toward me, I had to turn around and actively walk fast to out-pace it, while it continued to follow me bleating the whole time. I circled around to the cache site, where the aforementioned fawn was still bedded down, who watched me find the cache and setup an 'X' to indicated it had been collected.

There are TONS of deer at the park, you couldn't drive from one end to the other without seeing multiple, thankfully I have deer alerts on all my cars.

Please NEVER feed deer. The pitiful key deer in the Florida Keys come out of the woods into the streets looking for hand-outs and are road-kill frequently.

People food also hurts animals. Water-fowl fed enriched-bread have their skeletons grow out of proportion to their muscles, causing constant pain and dependence on humans.

Usually a fawn alone is simply waiting for Mom to return--she'll leave for extended periods to feed and not attract predators to the bedding site (as the fawn has no scent, but the doe does.)

Enjoy responsibly,

Randy