Unarchiving a Cache

GilkerscleughCachers

Hi all,

I am reasonably new and having browsed and experienced cacher's caches found list, I have found a cache which is perfectly fine but was archived by the CO. I think the cache would be a good cache to use. It seems to be well hidden. Can you bring it out of the archive pages or not. Please help.

Kind Regards to all readers,

GilkerscleughCachers

• Surprised 1

If it's another cachers cache, no.

You could set your own cache there... Depending on why it was Archived.

If the cache owner just decided to archive it, no problem. If it was archived due to permission/guideline issues. probably not!

If it was archived by the owner because of muggle problems, think twice before setting a new cache in the same spot.

Otherwise, go ahead and set a new cache!

Edited by Bear and Ragged
  • Surprised 1

Only a volunteer cache reviewer can unarchive a listing. One factor considered: how long has the cache been archived? This one's been archived for seven plus months.

Archived caches cannot be adopted. Archived caches cannot be unarchived for the purpose of allowing a subsequent adoption.

All the signs are pointing towards hiding a new cache!

You could set your own cache there... Depending on why it was Archived.

If the cache owner just decided to archive it, no problem. If it was archived due to permission/guideline issues. probably not!

If it was archived by the owner because of muggle problems, think twice before setting a new cache in the same spot.

Another possible issue is land manager permission. Some caches are archived because the land manager decides caches should no longer be allowed in a certain area. Hiding a new cache in such an area is not a good idea, unless you get the land manager's permission first.

a cache which is perfectly fine but was archived by the CO.

Could be a nice location.

I see no indication the cache is still in place, however.

Some people did find it the same day it was archived is all.

If the CO was super-diligent they might have posted a note saying the container had been removed, but many owners don't do that. Of course we also know that many owners don't remove the containers for archived caches, and since it appears this one was archived due to a wet cache with a smelly logbook, I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to try to re-use it even if it is still there.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Texans55 said:

can you unarchive my cache 

GC85F8K The Good old Buggies Please. I already text the reviwer but he does not do anything. So can you rewviers unarchive it.

Curious why you feel it's important now.   The only description on the cache page is "P&G" , with congrats to a FTFer.

- That (to me) says you realize it wasn't that special except for a smiley.         

We know of situations where a CO mistakenly archives their cache, but you did say there was no container, in a bad spot with no parking.

If you think an area close by is awesome, why not place a new cache there ?   Give those past finders another smiley too.   :)

• Helpful 3
6 hours ago, Texans55 said:

can you unarchive my cache 

GC85F8K The Good old Buggies Please. I already text the reviwer but he does not do anything. So can you rewviers unarchive it.

This is a false statement.  The first request I received in regards to this cache was at 4:57 pm today, by Forum private message.  At that time, I was caching my way across Ohio back to my home in Pittsburgh.  I'm a volunteer, which means your requests won't be responded to immediately - especially on a holiday weekend.

Why did you archive your cache and then ask me to unarchive it one week later?  You could have temporarily disabled the cache while you checked it out.

Since you want an immediate answer, I'll answer "no" and refer you to Geocaching HQ's appeals team for faster service.  You can reach them via the Help Center.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 6