How do I create a Cache on here?

CAGALVIN

I am new and would like to hide some caches and I can't figure out how to post it on the website, Thanks!

For starters - have you read the guidelines?? The Help Center? (both linked in my signature)

Read them. Read them again. Start over and really really read them. Make sure your hides fits all the guidelines nicely.

For starters - have you read the guidelines?? The Help Center? (both linked in my signature)

Read them. Read them again. Start over and really really read them. Make sure your hides fits all the guidelines nicely.

Almost seems harsh, doesn't it?

It's not really, as there is far too much to explain to you in these forums. It would take far too much time (for you and the person trying to explain it all). It is all prepared for you to go through and read it all, already. Besides that, you really need to read and UNDERSTAND the guidelines. Perusing through them doesn't cut it. That is probably why he said to read them again and again and again.

Folks in the forums are happy to help -- really, they are -- but you really ought to help yourself a bit, first. Specific questions, great -- broadsweeping questions, not-so-great.

Besides, making a hide that will pass review -- yes, it needs to be reviewed and approved -- is not so easy as one might initially expect.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Have you thought about going out and FINDING some caches first? If you decide to hide a cache, you need to know that you are making a long term commitment to maintain that cache....it's not a "hide it and forget it" proposition.

We only say this because we've all seen it too many times....poorly planned hides in crappy leaky containers placed by newbies who got all excited about this cool new game they just heard about and want to hide a cache immediately. Then in a couple of weeks they lose interest and are never heard from again, leaving their geo-litter out there to rot.

Please read the guidelines as suggested, especially the parts pertaining to the responsibilities of cache ownership. Then go out and find a whole bunch of caches....get some ideas of what makes a good hide and what makes a crappy hide, and make sure this is an activity you'll be in long-term.

And, when you read the guideline and all the other material, you'll read that "cache ownership is a long term relationship". I strongly suggest that you go out and find some caches and see if this is something that will hold your interest long enough to properly place and own a cache. One thing to understand is that Geocaching is typically not just a smartphone game that you pick up one week and forget all about the next. Owning a cache really is a responsibility that takes a certain level of dedication. Trust that everyone appreciates your enthusiasm, but if in your rush to participate, you place a substandard container and then lose interest, it's up to one of us to clean up the aftermath.

For starters - have you read the guidelines??

Don't forget to read the guidelines too.

Please read the guidelines as suggested.

Besides that, you really need to read and UNDERSTAND the guidelines.

And, when you read the guidelines and all the other material, you'll read that "cache ownership is a long term relationship".

It sounds to me like he should read the guidelines. Is that what I'm hearing?

:)

Edited by wmpastor

As others have suggested before hiding one, go and find some then you will have a really good idea as to what makes a great fun hide and what frankly is lame..... Make sure you really enjoy the game first. Hiding a cache is a long term commitment.

For starters - have you read the guidelines??

Don't forget to read the guidelines too.

Please read the guidelines as suggested.

Besides that, you really need to read and UNDERSTAND the guidelines.

And, when you read the guidelines and all the other material, you'll read that "cache ownership is a long term relationship".

It sounds to me like he should read the guidelines. Is that what I'm hearing?

:)

And, I'm sure, in the guidelines it suggests finding a few caches, before hiding one. :)

If you can't find where you post a cache, you most certainly have not read enough or gotten enough experience yet. Go find a WIDE variety of caches. Different types, sizes, locations, etc. When you aren't looking for caches, spend a LOT of time reading and rereading the guidelines and other info on this site until you understand them as others have said. If you have questions about what you read or experience in the field, come here and ask.

I know all this seems kinda harsh and like a lot of work, but once you get through it you will see the value in it and you will not only have the knowledge to hide quality caches in quality locations that finders will appreciate, but also the knowledge, skills, and experience to help n00bs that come into the game after you.

I think one of the major points being made here is that you cannot underestimate the value of finding experience when it comes to placing a geocache. I look back on caches I hid when I had less than 100 finds and wonder what I was doing. Many others also realize that if you have found a significant number, you will be much better able to hide one appropriately. Having said that, I continue to learn new ways to hide them everyday.

Have you thought about going out and FINDING some caches first? If you decide to hide a cache, you need to know that you are making a long term commitment to maintain that cache....it's not a "hide it and forget it" proposition.

We only say this because we've all seen it too many times....poorly planned hides in crappy leaky containers placed by newbies who got all excited about this cool new game they just heard about and want to hide a cache immediately. Then in a couple of weeks they lose interest and are never heard from again, leaving their geo-litter out there to rot.

Please read the guidelines as suggested, especially the parts pertaining to the responsibilities of cache ownership. Then go out and find a whole bunch of caches....get some ideas of what makes a good hide and what makes a crappy hide, and make sure this is an activity you'll be in long-term.

Good advice. :)