What about the politics?

So I am new to Geocaching. Tacoma WA area. I love it I do it with my 2 year-old helps keep me heart healthy and is great fun with her. The long term geocachers a few of them seem to feel they are the gods of geocaching. I admit I am in amazement myself at the number of finds.

I do say congrads to them I hope to be there someday. I have met 9 geocachers. 7 were realy nice had great conversation one was polite the last one said hi very quickly and scooted past me angery look on his face. I do think most are very great people but i think they get caught up in drama. Like in highschool with the Cliques the popular group the nerds the unknowns. I feel that is what is happing now the popular cachers telling the Freashman cachers which way the wind blows. A vetren Cacher of thousands of finds told me to just ignore it. I'm not that way I think we all can be friends in Geocaching. So how do you befriend the geocachers that just want to fight with you about placement ?

I'm not that way I think we all can be friends in Geocaching.

Do you really think so?

Geocachers are little more than a sampling of what all humanity has to offer. They are from all walks of life and will remain as what you have described. You are going to meet really nice ones, some that want to be friends, some that want to be left alone, and yes, some that won't give you the time of day. Some geocache to make friends, some geocache because they wish to without any outside influence, many could care less either way and most don't even think about the 'politics'.

They are and act as they learned long before geocaching.

Just a fact of life.

If you think otherwise, keep lots of lollipops handy....

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I bet someone has a stock post to describe how the flavors of lollipops mirror those of ice cream. :mmraspberry:

But seriously, there are all kinds of people in life, and most of those types are represented somewhat in the geocaching community. I will say that I have met a lot more geocachers that I would want to hang out with again than I did golfers when that was my primary recreational activity.

Edited by wimseyguy

Got sidetracked with filler and then lollipops and ice cream had me running to the kitchen ... for coffee.

Your post appears to end with issues on cache placement. Is that correct?

No one here would know whether you should befriend someone you're having problems with, as for all we know, you could be the cause of the problems.

What problems are you having with cache placement?

The best way to enjoy geocaching is to go geocaching.

Be aware but don't worry about others' personalities - and hey, if seven out of nine cachers were friendly then that sounds like a pretty good percentage :lol: We've been lucky to have positive interactions with all the cachers we've come across, and we believe it helps to come in to situations with a positive attitude as well. For those who don't respond well to friendliness, you haven't lost anything in offering a smile and kind words.

...the last one said hi very quickly and scooted past me angery look on his face.

Been there, done that. I didn't mean to look angry or act unfriendly. I know I'm not the only one who has done it, either. There's a common phenomenon whereby social awkwardness (shyness) tends to get misinterpreted as hostility and unfriendliness. Maybe that's not the case, here. Maybe one or both of you is a jerk, but before concluding that it's him, keep in mind that you were the one who did not give the other person the benefit of the doubt.

Geocaching attracts all kinds of people, including those who can relate to electronic devices better than they can relate to other people.

Similar to nonaeroterraqueous (whose name I always have to copy/paste) we see this a lot at events.

People who've known each other for years tend to group together for chat.

It's human nature. They're comfortable.

New folks complain that no one was friendly, when in fact, they usually tend to sit by themselves , offering no social interaction either.

When I come back from the two-mile-away designated smoking area, I usually find my other 2/3rds sitting with the new folks, breaking the ice a bit.

- And find she ate all the good stuff off my plate. :D

So I am new to Geocaching. Tacoma WA area. I love it I do it with my 2 year-old helps keep me heart healthy and is great fun with her. The long term geocachers a few of them seem to feel they are the gods of geocaching. I admit I am in amazement myself at the number of finds.

I do say congrads to them I hope to be there someday. I have met 9 geocachers. 7 were realy nice had great conversation one was polite the last one said hi very quickly and scooted past me angery look on his face. I do think most are very great people but i think they get caught up in drama. Like in highschool with the Cliques the popular group the nerds the unknowns. I feel that is what is happing now the popular cachers telling the Freashman cachers which way the wind blows. A vetren Cacher of thousands of finds told me to just ignore it. I'm not that way I think we all can be friends in Geocaching. So how do you befriend the geocachers that just want to fight with you about placement ?

Try some events. Have an open mind.

And, try to stay away from statements like:

The long term geocachers a few of them seem to feel they are the gods of geocaching.

Is there more to this story? If there is an issue about placement, do take some time to pull the old fashioned "respect your elders" mantra. There might be some lessons to learn about the game from these folks. The best way to befriend them is to ask for advice, not butt heads with them.

Is there more to this story? If there is an issue about placement, do take some time to pull the old fashioned "respect your elders" mantra. There might be some lessons to learn about the game from these folks. The best way to befriend them is to ask for advice, not butt heads with them.

I bolded the most important sentence above. More to the story? I looked, and I'd say so. The OP has a rather high hide to find ratio (14 hides, 41 finds), so there are some perceived inexperience issues there. And there are multiple issues with the hides. The newest is a playground hide that suggests that it is mainly for Geocachers with children, and hasn't been found yet (one DNF'er says they spent an hour?!?!?). There's an archived one that was in a trash strewn location, including hypodermic needles. Another archived one was in a "wildlife buffer zone", whatever that is, never heard that term. I also saw some complaints about worthless hints. N/A is not a hint. If you don't have a hint, leave it blank. That's what the instructions on the old cache submission form said. The new one asks you "do you have a hint", and was meant to catch people who put N/A or None in the hint field, from what us regular players have been told.

Not that I would grunt at you with an angry look on my puss at an event if you were from my area, but I really like the one sentence of advice I've bolded in NeverSummer's quote. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Then again, there are some cachers who deserve to be treated rudely. I was on a hunt a couple weeks ago. Pedestrian overpass near a community park. Lots of kids, lots of shouting. I ignored the shouting. Then a muggle approached me, pointed to a woman in the parking lot with her hands cupped over her mouth, looking intently in my direction and shouting. He said "They are saying its on the other side" then he shrugged and moved on. I will obey the forum guidelines and leave to the readers imagination the dark thoughts I directed toward that person. I choose not to interract with her. Does that make me rude? elitist? I think it makes me gracious and polite.

Not everyone is social...just ignore it an move on. I have met a couple people that just didn't care to be around people in general...

If you catch someone at just the wrong moment they probably look furtive because they think they're being muggled.

As mentioned, 5 million people, they're not all going to be your cup of tea. I've only met one so far but only started caching las tOctober - I daresay the spring and summer bring a lot more encounters.

Id like to thank you for this accurate forum topic I agree we have a few of those in my area the gods of geocaching and it is like highschool sometimes you'll find a good geocacher but this is like a jock sport all about stats and numbers to bad you didn't live here id join you

Id like to thank you for this accurate forum topic I agree we have a few of those in my area the gods of geocaching and it is like highschool sometimes you'll find a good geocacher but this is like a jock sport all about stats and numbers to bad you didn't live here id join you

Before you start to pile on and sully a possible teachable moment, perhaps you should also consider this:

Try to stay away from statements like:

The long term geocachers a few of them seem to feel they are the gods of geocaching.

The forum regulars are familiar with Off Grid's angst about other cachers, and the problems that can be encountered with hides and logs on their caches. I went through similar growing pains when I started caching on geocaching.com. Let's tell that story for context, shall we?

It started in 2001. I took a GIS class where my professor decided to use GPS in a way we hadn't considered: hide and seek. He handed teams in the class GPS units, gave out coordinates, and said, "Go find the items at the coordinates and sign in there." He outlined the "game" by saying it was like a summit register, but with coordinates to find instead of a summit. "Cool!" we all thought. Off we went. I was hooked right away. It wasn't until 2005 that I started geocaching here at Geocaching.com. There were, at that time, hundreds of cachers who had been geocaching "officially" since 2001 and had many "official" finds.

I came in with a handful of cache finds under my belt, but not from Geocaching.com. I wasn't familiar with the community, the guidelines, or my place in the game. I learned, very quickly, that there are guidelines and unwritten rules of the community. Between some issues with my logs, misguided NM logs, etc, I chalked it up as part of learning. I got frustrated, sure. But I never thought that the other cachers--who had many more finds and had been using the geocaching.com site for far longer than I--were being "elitist", "snobby", or "gods of geocaching". I thought that they had more knowledge and experience, and therefore knew the game a little better than I.

I took the time to ask questions, work with my reviewer, talk with other cachers, maintain an open mind, be ready to be humble, and have respect for those that have been around longer than I.

And you know what? I was right? Now with 7+ years on this site, and nearly 12 years "geocaching", I understand the guidelines better, and have more experience with more cache listings, sites and hide techniques. I don't see myself as "better" than anyone now, but I certainly am more knowledgeable about and clear on the guidelines and the way this community works together to keep cache quality up, use of site tools appropriate, and interactions in good repair.

Then again, there are some cachers who deserve to be treated rudely. I was on a hunt a couple weeks ago. Pedestrian overpass near a community park. Lots of kids, lots of shouting. I ignored the shouting. Then a muggle approached me, pointed to a woman in the parking lot with her hands cupped over her mouth, looking intently in my direction and shouting. He said "They are saying its on the other side" then he shrugged and moved on. I will obey the forum guidelines and leave to the readers imagination the dark thoughts I directed toward that person. I choose not to interract with her. Does that make me rude? elitist? I think it makes me gracious and polite.

I'm sure that she was only trying to be helpful. Not everyone appreciates the value of the hunt. Personally, I think that you are taking things way to seriously. Dark thoughts because she spoiled the hunt for a geocache? It's not like anyone died or anything. Who knows what potential opportunities you passed up by choosing not to interact with her. Rude, elitist, gracious, polite? I'm thinking narrow minded.

I have met probably 200 geocachers both at events and in the field and have interacted closely with about two dozen of them in one form or another. I can honestly say that I have only had two bad interactions. I was visiting an event in another area and had a chance to meet a cacher that I thought I respected because of his high quality caches in interesting locations. I walked up to shake his hand and introduce myself and he totally blew me off, I guess because he didn't recognize my name. I didn't let it bother me for more than a few moments, but it did bother me nonetheless. When I joined the forums about a year later, this guy was a semi-regular poster at the time and it quickly became obvious that it wasn't me. This guy was obviously mad at the entire world.

The second time, well let's just say that some out of town cachers were too wrapped up with getting their numbers for the day that they didn't have time to be social. I'm sure they are nice people. I hear that one of them even has groupies. :ph34r:

I really think that the ratio of good/bad in geocachers is probably higher than the general population.

OK, so you met 7 friendly geocachers, 1 polite one and 1 angry one.

Have you ever considered the angry geocacher was just having a bad day?

As for "how do you befriend the geocachers that just want to fight with you about placement ?" Who's fighting you? Publish caches you like and if they want to complain, do your best to ignore it.