Top Tips

KN0303

My sister and I have just signed up to geocaching and after spending hours reading through the forums we have decided to start our own thread.

Please share your top tips/swag ideas/funny stories about your own geocaching adventures with us to help us on our way!

Thanks! :anicute:

I would highly suggest you look for traditional caches that are marked as good "beginner caches". These are usually caches with no higher than a 2 rating on the difficulty/terrain and are small, regular, or large sized. Once you master those you can look for the micros, but you need to learn the ropes first.

Best advice you can get isn't from someone on the forums, but rather just experience with caching!

Just Do It! You can read all you want but you won't know what it's really like until you get out and try it.

...but since you asked. For your first few caches avoid those with higher difficulty rating, those with several DNFs logged, and older caches that haven't been found recently. Look for caches hidden in interesting places (scenic views, on trails, in parks, etc.). Find out if there are any events nearby and go meet the local geocachers. and most importantly, Have Fun!

Why isn't the cache where my GPS says it should be?

The general accuracy of most handheld GPS devices is around 15 to 25 feet. Remember though you have might have to add your potential error to any error the cache owner had when placing the cache. That means you could easily find yourself looking for a cache up to 50 feet from where your unit says ground zero is. Most of the time you will find them within 20 feet or less but do be prepared to widen your search. Put the GPS away when you are within 20 feet or so and start looking for likely hiding spots.

Back off and re-approach the area if necessary to verify you are looking in the right spot.

Forget Stealth:

I advise you to not try and be stealthy. That just attracts more undue attention. Instead be bold. Be proud of what you are doing - act as though you are doing nothing wrong (mostly because you aren't!!). Act as though it is your job to find that cache, a job you are very good at and proud to do. Find it. Sign it. Put it back and move on. Carry a clipboard and look professional - you'll blend into the background.

Tips for finding Caches:

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

What are you waiting for? It's been a day since you joined and you still don't have a find! :blink:

Seriously, the best, and most fun, way to learn is to do it. You can read all you want about how to ride a bicycle but until you get on one you aren't going to learn how to ride it. Prepare a paper list of nearby caches, or load them on your smart phone or on your GPS, it really doesn't matter, and go look for them. You will have fun finding some and perhaps even more fun with the ones the either take you a long time or you don't find. Caching is about the hunt and the hunt is the cake. The find, the yellow smilie on the map, is the icing on the cake. It makes the cake taste better but even without the icing the cake is mighty good.

If,as you state, you've been reading the forums you already know the top tips that others will offer. I'd be much more interested in seeing what YOU would post after a couple of weeks of caching as YOUR top tips.

Good luck, enjoy the hobby/game and tell us how your are doing.

EDIT: fixed typo

Edited by GeoTrekker26

The biggest problem I've seen for brand new cachers is focusing on the GPS to try and get right on top of the cache. Look at your surroundings, not at the little screen. With experience you will start seeing possible locations before you get there. As others have said, there's no substitute for getting out there and looking. Good luck.

Grow thick skin.....everyone has an opinion....and it will conflict with yours

Be very, very careful posting on the forum, if you care to stay...they love banning people for the slightest infraction. (heck, I might be banned for that...even though I basically saying follow the rules if you care).

Remember...outdoors is ALWAYS better than indoors.

IT IS A HOBBY, not one of life's priorities. However, for some...it is their whole life, so don't be shocked! ;-)

You WILL have fun. Despite all the complaints. 99.9% of folks do have good time!

Ammo boxes are the best container ever...respect the ammo box! ;-)

!!!!Oh yeah...always LOG your DNFs (Did Not Find).

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

It's okay to not find a cache. Sure, it can be disappointing but it's nothing to beat yourself up about. A good cache will also have a strong sense of history, geography, art or local significance. Sometimes it's just a great view or a peaceful setting or a strange new place in the midst of your own city. A lengthy DNF (Did Not Find) can often be more worthwhile than an quick P&G (Park and Grab).

Relax, have fun and just do it!

Happy Caching! :D