Using a GPS with a Macbook Pro

I am so frustrated...I researched and struggled with making a decision on which GPS to buy for geocaching and hiking. Finally, I settled on the Magellan eXplorist 110. Emailed the company about concerns based on a few reviews about it not being compatible with Mac computers. They replied saying that it was in fact NOT compatible with Macs. UGH...not sure what to do now. This was to be my first GPS and looked like it would be something easy enough for me to use. They also said that Vantage Point (also from Magellan) was not Mac compatible. What are my options for paperless geocaching with an easy to use GPS?

If your Magellan 110 won't work with your MacBook Pro, you could always use Bootcamp (which comes with the Mac) to install the Windows operating system so that you can boot to Windows run Windows programs. Of course, you have to buy the Windows OS but it is a solution if indeed your GPS cannot talk to your Mac directly. There are other options along those lines as well...something to research if you have the need.

If your Magellan 110 won't work with your MacBook Pro, you could always use Bootcamp (which comes with the Mac) to install the Windows operating system so that you can boot to Windows run Windows programs. Of course, you have to buy the Windows OS but it is a solution if indeed your GPS cannot talk to your Mac directly. There are other options along those lines as well...something to research if you have the need.

Send me an email at Zukicacher@gmail.com and I will send you the phone number and email address for Magellan's National Product Advocate - Jeff Caulfield. He should be able to get you the answers you need. Also, you can join us at http://www.magellaninsiders.com where answer user might be able to help.

David

Magellan Insider/Beta Tester

As someone who owns both a garmin and a magellan, I have to say that magellans support has been exemplary recently, and garmin's has gone downhill remarkably. Of course, the wisdom of the ages that you get here and elsewhere from garmin-only owners is that "magellan's customer support sucks". This used to be the case. Not so much anymore.

My 710 is mac compatible. At least as far as it'll open as a storage device on my mac and I can transfer pq's, photos and such in and out, and do system updates. It doesn't have a lot of touchy feely little programs like garmin has supplied over the years. And nothing like basecamp unfortunately, which would be a good thing. I don't know if the 110 has similar connectivity.

My 710 is mac compatible. At least as far as it'll open as a storage device on my mac and I can transfer pq's, photos and such in and out, and do system updates. It doesn't have a lot of touchy feely little programs like garmin has supplied over the years.
This is an important point. You can't just ask "is this GPS compatible with my Mac?" - you have to define what it is that you want to do with the devices and then[/b] ask if it's compatible for those functions.

Like your 710, my PN-40 isn't technically "compatible" with my MacBook (and here's where "Team Serious" will attempt to correct me and tell me that Cache Register works. Except that it doesn't, version 2 was a huge step backwards in features (before it started crashing repeatedly), and may not even be able to log into geocaching.com reliably anymore). But I can access the GPS as a storage device. I just can't tether the GPS to any software on the Mac to feed GPS data in real-time from the GPS to the computer, like one can with Topo on Windows.

I want to be able to utilize the paperless geocaching. I want to be able to transfer information from Geocaching.com to the GPS. I was also told that Vantage Point would not work with Mac. My interest in getting the 110, as opposed to the GC, is that it has the capability to make routes using the Vantage Point Software. This will be my first handheld GPS, and I was looking for an entry level that would work with the GC website easily. I currently use my phone with the geocaching.com app and LOVE it, however, it is not always reliable in more distance areas of Germany (where we are currently stationed), and my battery drains FAST. The joy of living here is that there are tons of caches in the many wooded areas, mostly close to the thousands of trails here, but my phone will definitely not hold up long enough to do the job I need for it to do or get reliable reception when I need it. Thanks for all of the help...I feel a little lost in all of the information I am finding online.

I want to be able to utilize the paperless geocaching. I want to be able to transfer information from Geocaching.com to the GPS. I was also told that Vantage Point would not work with Mac. My interest in getting the 110, as opposed to the GC, is that it has the capability to make routes using the Vantage Point Software. This will be my first handheld GPS, and I was looking for an entry level that would work with the GC website easily. I currently use my phone with the geocaching.com app and LOVE it, however, it is not always reliable in more distance areas of Germany (where we are currently stationed), and my battery drains FAST. The joy of living here is that there are tons of caches in the many wooded areas, mostly close to the thousands of trails here, but my phone will definitely not hold up long enough to do the job I need for it to do or get reliable reception when I need it. Thanks for all of the help...I feel a little lost in all of the information I am finding online.

You should consider the offerings from Garmin that would meet your needs - ranging from eTrex to Montana (you should be able to get something for your price-point).

Note that Garmin does have OS/X software to support its GPSrs. (Basecamp, Webupdater,... - I have 4 of their programs running on my MacBook Pro). I don't understand exactly what you intend to do with tracks and trails, but I bet you can do this with Basecamp.

Also, in your particular situation (on a base in Europe, perhaps being moved around some in the years to come) could well take advantage of the free OSM maps that are available for you to use. Note that with OSM maps you have the advantage that other users are putting trails and tracks into the maps, so that those maps are already much better for walking and hiking. To see what I mean, look at some of your parks on the Open Street Maps.

Edited by Hynr

This is interesting, given the fact that I've been using a Magellan 110 with my Macbook Pro for a long time now. I can transfer caches to it fine, log everything, etc. Many times when you download the "plugin" software for connecting the device, you must redownload it again, or restart your Mac after and redownload before it starts functioning.

This is interesting, given the fact that I've been using a Magellan 110 with my Macbook Pro for a long time now. I can transfer caches to it fine, log everything, etc. Many times when you download the "plugin" software for connecting the device, you must redownload it again, or restart your Mac after and redownload before it starts functioning.

This is good to know! Amazon shows that the 110 is Mac compatible but after seeing reviews from users stating that it was not, I emailed the company. They told me that it was not compatible and that Vantage Point would also not work on a Mac. I really only need to be able to transfer the name and location of the cache on to the GPS. Living in Germany presents a language issue! I have to pull up the website in Google Chrome and have all the additional information translated before going out to look for them. Having all of the premium features really would not do me any good right now since everything would be written in German. I also want something really easy to use.

You should consider the offerings from Garmin that would meet your needs - ranging from eTrex to Montana (you should be able to get something for your price-point).

Note that Garmin does have OS/X software to support its GPSrs. (Basecamp, Webupdater,... - I have 4 of their programs running on my MacBook Pro). I don't understand exactly what you intend to do with tracks and trails, but I bet you can do this with Basecamp.

Also, in your particular situation (on a base in Europe, perhaps being moved around some in the years to come) could well take advantage of the free OSM maps that are available for you to use. Note that with OSM maps you have the advantage that other users are putting trails and tracks into the maps, so that those maps are already much better for walking and hiking. To see what I mean, look at some of your parks on the Open Street Maps.

How does the OSM free maps work for the Garmin? Would I have to download a map of a specific area that I want to explore? I have used the OSM on the GC website...very helpful for finding parking places!!

Ok here goes, from a Mac owner, who has a couple Magellan (older) units and a couple Garmin units. My main computer is a MacBook Pro, and I not only load Geocaches on my GPS with it, I use this to develop the Ontario Trails Project maps that I distribute.

Regarding Garmin Maps:

Check out GPSFileDepot.com

For OpenStreetMaps specifically, go to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

Regarding using a GPS on a Mac:

Most modern GPS units will appear as a Mass Storage Device, and Garmin's WebCommunicator lets you send caches direct from the geocaching.com website. I don't use this method.

The GPS just appears as a mounted volume and (at least with the Garmin ones) you can drop a Pocket Query right on the device.

You can use the previously mentioned MacCaching app. I don't, but it works.

Macs can be set to boot Windows using BootCamp, and run Windows programs like Vantagepoint or Mapsource or GSAK.

Macs can also run Windows using another method - this is what I use - You can use a "Virtual Machine" with a program like Parallels or VMWare. This is what I use. I have a "box" with GSAK in it and I load my GPS from that. No need to reboot, no need to specifically get a Mac compatible GPS, no need to compromise with MacCaching ... which I am sorry to say pales compared to GSAK.

Regarding the Garmin vs Magellan thing.

I cannot create my Ontario Trails Project map for a Magellan GPS. There are less custom maps available for Magellan in general. Garmin has Birdseye option (which I use to find parking spots, bridges, etc). A good entry level Garmin is the eTrex 10 or 20 if cost is an issue. If cost isn't an issue, the new Oregon 600 is mind blowing good. I use an eTrex 30 as I'm optimized for long battery life and unit to unit beaming. Newer Garmin units can send geocaches/waypoints to another Garmin wirelessly handy if caching in a group.