First Event for New Years Day

Gustav129

It was suggested at a snow event last week that somebody should do a tubing event for New Years Day. So I'm debating to take this on. One thing, is the places locally that are guaranteed snow is at one of three ski resorts at a higher elevation. There's a few spot in Spokane, but snow isn't necessarily guaranteed. I've I do one of the ski resorts, that would require people that would attend to pay $10-20 for 1.5-2 hours of tubing time.

That's why I'm debating. Would it be right to put on an event that would require people to "pay to play"? Maybe it'snot an issue because I live in an area that requires a purchase of an annual "Discovery Pass" to access or park at any state land (so you have to pay to geocache). Also, I know that many geocachers in the area are older and wouldn't want to do an "active" event.

Basically, this is a "Should I or Shouldn't I?" type of question. Maybe a quick meet and greet fo the people who don't want to go tubing, and then the tubing. So people can sign the log, chit chat, and leave if they want.

I highly doubt that a tubing event that requires cachers to pay to attend would not get by a reviewer as it is a commercial event.(http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#commercialcaches)

What might work is having a small meet and greet close to the tubing place(maybe bring some hot chocolate and warm treats), and go tubing after the event with those who wish to do it.

thought I'd add this....

The reason I doubt it would be published is because of an event that happened around here a couple years ago, it was a tubing event, and I believe it was denied for commercial purposes.

You should be fine with the meet and greet, then tubing after.

That being said, I did do a river tubing event that didn't necessarily require you to pay, but paying made a lot easier to get back.

I don't think it is a problem. After all what about the tons of events at restaurants? You pay for a meal. I would have like a meet and greet or something for the cachers who don't want to do it. Even if no-one shows up but you and one friend you still get a smiley.

You don't have to pay to enter a restaurant. We have events there where some people stop by without eating. Quick smiley and onward.

Host a meet n greet in the parking lot (assuming you don't have to pay to get into the lot too) with some donuts and coffee. Then anyone there who wants to go tubing with the group can do so, and those who just wanted to socialize and grab a quick smiley/donut can go on their way.

That's the Discovery Pass needed to park at any state public property. There's people getting tickets from jut parking on the side of the road to watch elk for 15 minutes. So many "regular" geocaches in Washington require you to "pay to park".

Not a getting started issue. Moving to a more appropriate forum.

Oh, I put in "Getting Started" because this is the first time for me to host an event.

So I talked to a local cacher that hosts quite a few events in the area to get some pointers to host my first event. He suggested another not so well known local hill that's free and free to park at. So that solves that problem.

As for guidelines, they don't say an event has to be about geocaching (discuss geocaching, etc.), just "a gathering of geocachers".

I also noticed when I was editing the page, there's an attribute for "Access or Parking Fee".

If I organized a Jan 1 event I'd probably name it Hair Of The Dog :laughing:

I've found that going out caching in the morning of January 1st is about the best time to go after those "use stealth" caches. I did one in full view of a Starbucks on Jan. 1st a few years ago and I doubt anyone noticed me poking around for a good 10 minutes before I could retrieve the container.

I've found that going out caching in the morning of January 1st is about the best time to go after those "use stealth" caches. I did one in full view of a Starbucks on Jan. 1st a few years ago and I doubt anyone noticed me poking around for a good 10 minutes before I could retrieve the container.
I know people who like to go geocaching the afternoon of the Super Bowl for pretty much the same reason. Everyone else is watching the game.

Nice looking event. If I was in the area I might drop in and bring donuts.

I don't start the New Year at an event. I start it with a good geopal by going after a really tough nasty multi that doesn't get found very often. This will be the 10th year in a row for this tradition. We crossed a line somewhere back there and liked it on this side.

This year's target has been in business for almost a year and has only 12 finds with 6 favorite points. Five of the twelve were together.

Edited by wimseyguy