How do I... proceed with my first failure in GeoCaching

Bench Mark

Hey guys,

So I was so excited I had found a good spot for a Geocache, and hid my first one (http://coord.info/GC3V2YV) last night. I was very happy because it was the center of a very nice area of the city and the spot allowed to hide a small (almost regular) size container.

So I got the best container I could, created my own personalized logbook and labels, and filled it with nice goodies and a Geocoin! (someone else's).

This morning I go back to the area to take a picture, and the cache is gone, someone took the stuff that was covering it and took it. I'm almost certain that I was unlucky enough to have hidden it in a spot where some homeless guy hides his stuff, because there was a bag next to where the container was. Of course, a nice waterproof container can be life-saving for a homeless person, and the goodies would have been a real treasure. So if that's the case, well, at least it has done some good. But what I regret is having placed someone else's geocoin there, before the cache proved to be effective.

I'll attach some pictures so that at least I can share the cache with you guys this way.

On the technical side, I already disabled the listing, but I need to know how to proceed with the Geocoin issue. What I have planned is contact the owner, tell him the situation, and set the trackable as missing. Anything else I should do?

Remembering...

My home made LogBook:

96e35e2a.jpg2b8ff72e.jpg

The container filled with goodies (for adults and kids), AND a GeoCoin :(

545435f9.jpg

The cache (just hidden) behind the rock (we never saw that blue bag to the right)

2f8d0f12.jpg

The next morning... gone!

a5240340.jpg

What I learned from this experience.

1) If it's a good hide, and in a city, it's probable that people who live on the streets might use it to hide their stuff.

2) Don't hide at night. What looks invisible might be evident during daylight. Plus, don't use a flashlight, obviously it draws attention.

3) Don't place a trackable in a cache that hasn't yet proved to be effective. More so if it's not yours.

4) Don't put a lot of hope in your first hide.

Open to criticisms and tips.

Cya guys, I'll go cry for a while :cry::P

Bench Mark

Edited by Bench Mark
2) Don't hide at night. What looks invisible might be evident during daylight. Plus, don't use a flashlight, obviously it draws attention.

That's a great observation! One of my caches is among some trees, and was invisible when I hid it (in late afternoon). I returned one morning, and noticed it really stands out at certain light angles.

Each of my caches was in place long before I activated it -- just in case it was a popular hang-out and easily found by anymuggle. My first was in place for two months.

Ask some local cachers why there's no cache in the spot you've selected. For two of mine, veteran cachers specifically mentioned how those spots were "familiar", and how previous caches were archived due to too much non-cacher activity (long before I joined Geocaching).

Edited by kunarion

That's unfortunate, especially as you obviously went to some effort make a good cache with nice contents. :(

I know this is a very slim chance but I would try going back to the location and leaving a note there saying something like, "Please can you replace my container. It's part of a game I'm playing with friends."

I'm just thinking that someone may have taken it out of curiosity, taken it somewhere to examine the contents... they may have no great interest in it any further but they may go back to the spot to look again. You might not get the geocoin back... but then again... who knows?

MrsB :)

That's a great observation! One of my caches is among some trees, and was invisible when I hid it (in late afternoon). I returned one morning, and noticed it really stands out at certain light angles.

Each of my caches was in place long before I activated it -- just in case it was a popular hang-out and easily found by anymuggle. My first was in place for two months.

Ask some local cachers why there's no cache in the spot you've selected. For two of mine, veteran cachers specifically mentioned how those spots were "familiar", and how previous caches were archived due to too much non-cacher activity (long before I joined Geocaching).

That's a good piece of advice. Thank you. I never thought of leaving the empty container for a while to test the cache, that would've been a lot wiser.

Also, good tip on contacting local cachers, I'm sure there must be a lot to learn from previous experiences.

Thank you very much for your reply. :)

That's unfortunate, especially as you obviously went to some effort make a good cache with nice contents. :(

I know this is a very slim chance but I would try going back to the location and leaving a note there saying something like, "Please can you replace my container. It's part of a game I'm playing with friends."

I'm just thinking that someone may have taken it out of curiosity, taken it somewhere to examine the contents... they may have no great interest in it any further but they may go back to the spot to look again. You might not get the geocoin back... but then again... who knows?

MrsB :)

First, thanks for the empathy.

And thank you for your advice. In fact I thought of that, I might try it to see what happens. Just left the bad news on the Geocoin list http://coord.info/TB34EBM . I hope the owner doesn't get too sad. :(

Here's a picture I took from this beautiful geocoin, lost by my actions:

b28247d5-c35d-4628-a71f-11ad982de708.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, although our first cache lasted a week, we ended up removing it ourselves and archiving it because I'd picked a terrible spot to hide a cache. I would much rather have found your first than our first. Keep at it, try it again.

edit: as for the coin, you didn't lose it, someone took it. Don't blame yourself too much about the actions another person took. Coin or TB owners take the risk of losing their coins or TBs the second they release their trackables into the world. Not fun, but it happens.

Edited by hzoi

It happens to all of us. Sometimes what seems like a great spot turns out bad. I had one in a park that was completly bulldozed days later to start renovations. I had one in a great area by a creek between a couple hospital buildings, it had a ton of sand dumped on it for no reason. I've had containers stolen within the first few weeks while others lasted a couple years before going missing. I always HATE when a cache goes missing with a trackable. BUT every trackable owner knows that is a possibility.

If it makes you feel any better, although our first cache lasted a week, we ended up removing it ourselves and archiving it because I'd picked a terrible spot to hide a cache. I would much rather have found your first than our first. Keep at it, try it again.

edit: as for the coin, you didn't lose it, someone took it. Don't blame yourself too much about the actions another person took. Coin or TB owners take the risk of losing their coins or TBs the second they release their trackables into the world. Not fun, but it happens.

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Means a lot, really. :)

It happens to all of us. Sometimes what seems like a great spot turns out bad. I had one in a park that was completly bulldozed days later to start renovations. I had one in a great area by a creek between a couple hospital buildings, it had a ton of sand dumped on it for no reason. I've had containers stolen within the first few weeks while others lasted a couple years before going missing. I always HATE when a cache goes missing with a trackable. BUT every trackable owner knows that is a possibility.

Thanks for the support IkeHurley13, makes me feel better. As I read your entry I realized I should have as a rule to only put trackables in caches with some history, that have proven effective before. I don't know why I though since it was a new cache that the coin would've been safer due to less activity in the area... facts proved me wrong in a horrible way. :tired:

Hi Bench Mark. You informed the geocoin owner, you disabled the listing and you learned from the experience. That's pretty much all you can do.

But I like the idea of leaving a note, just in case it is a homeless person's spot. You might get the container (and perhaps the coin) back so you can move it to a better location. Or maybe you don't, but it's worth a shot.

This. Exactly.

I've released quite a lot of geocoins to travel. It's a bit like owning a cat that likes to wander... then it disappears.

At least you've been able to tell the owner what has happened to their coin. I can tell you that's better than than being an owner who's wondering... what might have happened?... trying to find out... looking back through logs... sending enquiring emails... with no response... wondering...

MrsB

My first cache (First, and so far only cache!) I left the container with just the log book with contact details in, in place for a little over 2 weeks.

Cache page was ready. Once I'd checked the cache was still OK, and re-checked the coordinates! I submitted it for review.

(Still went missing!)

As others have said, may be worthwhile just checking a couple of times, to see if yours get replaced.

Good Luck with your next cache!

Oh, Bench Mark, I am so sorry for your recent unpleasantness. I have been geocaching less than a week but have already begun to see spots I would like to hide a cache. Your experience will certainly help me be more aware than I would have been. Thank you for sharing and educating. I agree that you have to just move on about the geocoin. It would have been gone anyway had someone taken it legitimately. Who knows, someone may yet find it and get it back on its way. Keep your chin up.

I too have lost someone else's geocoin in a similar manner. I spent time camo-ing the container, seeking a nice spot. I hid the cache, didn't enable it for publishing yet because I was gathering history on the hiding spot for the cache page description. I checked on the cache, which was very well hidden, and it was gone. I have no clue how anyone could have stumbled onto the hiding spot. It was so secluded and hidden.

So in other words, it happens.