About crappy swaps

Fibolina

I am not happy with the caches i have found lately. They are near an AirPort, and maybe that is why there are only garbage in them. My sons Get disapointed when the caches have nothing in Them or contain a broken, filthy toy. We have only one cach, but we keep it filled with Nice Toys for swapping. isn't it a rule that You allways swap with something better Than You took out? I allways bring loss of stuff to swap with, and sometimes i have found the cach before my kids, and filled it with Toys to swap. How are the caches You have found where You live? Cool or crappy?

sometimes i have found the cach before my kids, and filled it with Toys to swap.

That's a good plan if the kids are expecting to find something they like. Or bring a trash bag and have them help clean out the obvious trash (receipts, moldy business cards, whatever), add a Log Note or NM as appropriate. Some cache containers are best with just the log.

I'd also suggest caching just for the adventure, where there's no prize inside, but an entire natural area to explore. Even very young children might enjoy just hanging out and having fun in a park, with nothing special about what's in the container.

Edited by kunarion

I'd also suggest caching just for the adventure, where there's no prize inside, but an entire natural area to explore. Even very young children might enjoy just hanging out and having fun in a park, with nothing special about what's in the container.

Yes, the prizes are not the most imoprtant with the caches, but still....some of the fun is gone when there are more garbage Than prizes.

Caches around here are usually nicely stocked when new, but the contents degenerate over time. At one time I used to refill my caches periodically, but with nearly 300 active caches that can get mighty expensive, so I don't bother anymore.

Though I still like finding a nicely stocked cache, the only thing in the cache I really want to find is a dry logbook. It's about the rainbow to me, not the pot of gold at the end.

Edited by briansnat

If you want caches in better shape, probably best to look for ones that require a hike. :)

The caches near me are pretty good. I wouldn't say there is expensive swag, but usually something the kids will find of interest.

I bring swag with me, so if there's nothing in the cache, I can always let the kids each pick something from our backpack.

Having said that, while the kids do like to trade and will fight over swag, to be honest, whatever they get ends up on the floor of our cachemobile 1/2 hour later.

For us, caching is not about getting cool stuff, it's about exploring our city.

If I find a cache with garbage in it, I will remove the garbage and wipe down the cache. Sometimes I will add new swag, but I don't do this too much, as it gets expensive.

I hate finding a cache and have it be filled with nothing but stuff that got found under people's car seats. I don't leave toys that often, I like to give the adults some love too. I always leave a golf ball with my geocache name on it. I am an avid golf player, and with golf balls going for 3 or 4 dollars a pop, I'd be stoked to find one.

I have only found three caches so far. The one I found yesterday was close to a summer day camp (and signed by the camp); it was loaded with trash! By reading this thread, I'm assuming that it is okay to remove the trash? I wasn't 100% sure that the empty juice box and candy bar wrapper wasn't part of a prize (okay, I pretty much thought so but still didn't want to take it out until absolutely sure).

As for the other two I found, one was small, so no swag and the other was nice; lots of trinkets so my daughter swapped some.

If it's really trash (empty wrappers, expired coupons, ruined stickers, etc.), then go ahead and trash it out.

But some people trade for things others consider worthless, like signature items (including personal "business" cards) and golf balls (check out how much used ones cost). So don't be too aggressive when you clear out the trash.

If it's really trash (empty wrappers, expired coupons, ruined stickers, etc.), then go ahead and trash it out.

But some people trade for things others consider worthless, like signature items (including personal "business" cards) and golf balls (check out how much used ones cost). So don't be too aggressive when you clear out the trash.

I really like finding geocacher's personal trading cards. Some people make nice laminated ones with their names, a picture, and where they are from. I have a nice little collection going.

I've been caching for a little over a year and have found a lot of caches with trash or empty. I do clean out the trash and try to put a few thing for trade back in. Though I really like to go caching for the hike. Sometimes I get a surprise and find a well stocked cache.

Thanks to you (and the others that have replied; can't seem to multiquote correctly). Yes, I did figure it would be okay to dispose of an empty juice box.

I take it used golf balls are cheap? I did find one today and have found several personal cards. I'd not throw that stuff out. Thanks for clarifying! :)

Thanks to you (and the others that have replied; can't seem to multiquote correctly). Yes, I did figure it would be okay to dispose of an empty juice box.

I take it used golf balls are cheap? I did find one today and have found several personal cards. I'd not throw that stuff out. Thanks for clarifying! :)

I leave new golfballs. I go to Costco and buy 24 packs. You can go to thrift type stores and buy 12 for like 3 dollars.

It's been a while since I've bought used golf balls (for a ladderball set, not for golf), but IIRC, they ran $5-$10 per dozen, depending on the quality. I've seen bags of them for sale (100/bag? 144/bag?), presumably at a better unit price then in smaller quantities. But the point is that they're probably at least as valuable (to some people) as the dollar-store toys found in a lot of caches. They aren't trash.

I really like finding geocacher's personal trading cards. Some people make nice laminated ones with their names, a picture, and where they are from. I have a nice little collection going.

Now that is the coolest idea ever!!

As far as the caches I've found that were large enough to HAVE things in them, most of the time it's nothing I'd consider swap-worthy but I realize that someone might want it. I generally leave a few multi-coloured plastic rings, small fun shaped erasers, and super tiny 6-sided dice. I think I only ever swapped one item - a blue Matchbox car. But then again, I'm usually so amped that I actually FOUND it, I don't mind :)

I wonder what some of the best items you guys have found inside caches?

Here in Belgium, french-speaking part, the quality of the caches content is not always so good. Unfortunately.

We rarely find trash in containers, but it is common to find broken toys, and poor containers that help deteriorating their own content.

I cache with my children, and they really love to find cool swags. It is their reward for the effort, as a couple of miles of hiking is sometimes a great achievement for their little legs!

The older one, who is 8, took the habit to refill the cache from his own backpack when he judge its not attractive enough! :D

But on the other hand, we do not buy new toys or stuff to put in caches, we always recycle old-but-good-shaped toys and cornflakes swag to geocaching stuff.

personally i don't take anything from a cache but i always try and leave something.

Most of the time i leave something made by me or my nieces and nephews. i always worry that people will think it's rubbish but i thought it made it more personal. it's mostly things like clay stars or clay bears that have TFTC on them,they're not master pieces though.

are those okay? I've been reading that some people don't like things like personal cards or home made things. so would they be considered trash?

I've been reading that some people don't like things like personal cards or home made things. so would they be considered trash?

I don't think so. People consider as trash : actual trash, broken items,... not homemade suff.

IMHO such homemade gifts, even if not great art pieces, won't be cleaned out of the box.

personally i don't take anything from a cache but i always try and leave something.

Most of the time i leave something made by me or my nieces and nephews. i always worry that people will think it's rubbish but i thought it made it more personal. it's mostly things like clay stars or clay bears that have TFTC on them,they're not master pieces though.

are those okay? I've been reading that some people don't like things like personal cards or home made things. so would they be considered trash?

I'd love those! I'm thinking about doing something similar with my polymer clay.

Now that is the coolest idea ever!!

As far as the caches I've found that were large enough to HAVE things in them, most of the time it's nothing I'd consider swap-worthy but I realize that someone might want it. I generally leave a few multi-coloured plastic rings, small fun shaped erasers, and super tiny 6-sided dice. I think I only ever swapped one item - a blue Matchbox car. But then again, I'm usually so amped that I actually FOUND it, I don't mind :)

I wonder what some of the best items you guys have found inside caches?

I once found a 7 piece screw driver set.

I'd love those! I'm thinking about doing something similar with my polymer clay.

My niece wanted me to make Olympic medals for people to take but i took one look at the detail on them and thought sod that. so we settled for silver stars... though my nephew got bored of silver stars and i have some green ones and a couple of bears (stars are made with a shape cutter which for my younger niece and nephew is hard to use.)

i guess i am a little worried as i have read complaints from other geocachers about personal cards

oh well i will see if i get any messages asking me to stop leaving rubbish in the caches... lol

On my first geocaching trip with my father and a couple of friends (with kids) we set out to find 3 caches, but we only found two. After I signed up for my own account, I went back to the one location where we failed the previous time and found the cache. It was the only one with swap items in it.

I can understand why having a nicely stocked cache can be a good thing when you have kids in tow and to be honest, finding that particular cache made my day too. The fact I was able to take out a trackable made me feel I was a part of the community. So having well-stocked caches might also be a good thing to entice new cachers until they're addicted enough not to care too much about anything but a dry logbook.

Oh I agree, when caching with kids, swag is the most important factor. For a few years micros were a definate don't even bother, even smalls were generally not going to keep the kids going. Now that they're older, they trade, almost always leaving something, only sometimes taking stuff. We do clean out caches if things are rusty, moldy, or broken. Because there are so many caches with crap in them, we've created a lot of games to play while caching to keep it interesting. I have a bag I leave in the corner where the kids, as they clean their rooms, they can dump stuff for putting in cache containers. I see a lot of stuff that's been pulled out of caches, go into the bag, but we slowly distributed most of my daughters Little Pet Stop toys and accessories into caches and little bundles of Pokemon cards. I also pack a ziplock of candies, hard candies, starburst, gummy worms etc and we'll do a after 5 caches, whoever finds the most out of the five gets to pick what kind of candy we have, whoever makes the most finds for the day gets to choose dessert, whoever doesn't find the cache 2-3 times in a row is the only person who gets to see the hint before we start searching. We've also done a points system where the kids can earn points for finding caches, 3 points for finding a micro, 2 points for other sizes and 1 point if you are helping search for the cache, points then can earn them a new nail polish or snacks on the way home, movie rental, get creative and make your own game.

And for the original question, it totally depends on who hid the cache as to what you will find in the container and how old the cache is. For some reason, old caches are more likely to have garbage or nothing in them while newer caches have lots of stuff in them which makes me think...are people taking and not trading or still seriously thinking that the deck of cards or pocket knife is really worth a button or a dead battery?

Oh I agree, when caching with kids, swag is the most important factor. For a few years micros were a definate don't even bother, even smalls were generally not going to keep the kids going. Now that they're older, they trade, almost always leaving something, only sometimes taking stuff. We do clean out caches if things are rusty, moldy, or broken. Because there are so many caches with crap in them, we've created a lot of games to play while caching to keep it interesting. I have a bag I leave in the corner where the kids, as they clean their rooms, they can dump stuff for putting in cache containers. I see a lot of stuff that's been pulled out of caches, go into the bag, but we slowly distributed most of my daughters Little Pet Stop toys and accessories into caches and little bundles of Pokemon cards. I also pack a ziplock of candies, hard candies, starburst, gummy worms etc and we'll do a after 5 caches, whoever finds the most out of the five gets to pick what kind of candy we have, whoever makes the most finds for the day gets to choose dessert, whoever doesn't find the cache 2-3 times in a row is the only person who gets to see the hint before we start searching. We've also done a points system where the kids can earn points for finding caches, 3 points for finding a micro, 2 points for other sizes and 1 point if you are helping search for the cache, points then can earn them a new nail polish or snacks on the way home, movie rental, get creative and make your own game.

great ideas- we just recently found a "regular" with NOTHING in it but the log. my 4 y/o daughter said " mommy, this sucks"

your ideas will help when she is bummed about the empty/ cruddy ones

I am not happy with the caches i have found lately. They are near an AirPort, and maybe that is why there are only garbage in them. My sons Get disapointed when the caches have nothing in Them or contain a broken, filthy toy. We have only one cach, but we keep it filled with Nice Toys for swapping. isn't it a rule that You allways swap with something better Than You took out? I allways bring loss of stuff to swap with, and sometimes i have found the cach before my kids, and filled it with Toys to swap. How are the caches You have found where You live? Cool or crappy?

Of the caches near me that have been big enough to hold "swag", it has been very much a mixed bunch. The best tend to be in low-muggle areas.

As for swag - I attend a number of conferences and have a habit of picking up "freebies" such as key-rings, post-it note pads, erasers (I use the term advisedly as the normal British word for these means something quite different in US English ;), stress-balls etc. Having accumulated quite a collection over the years, caching has turned out to be a great way to dispose of them. Obviously they should not be promoting organisations that are overly controversial or political/religious, or ones that kids could ask uncomfortable questions about.

On the question of "pre-loading" the cache, this is a great idea and was suggested to a new cacher on the UK board who was trying to interest his son in caching.