Geocaching contest?

DAXLE

Recently I've been helping my local library and parks department with some geocaching related activities and the parks director is interested in increasing the number of caches hidden in our county's parks. A friend of mine and I are planning to create a rather large multi-cache (at least by my standards) that will take geocachers to each of our county's 19 parks. I thought this could be a good way to introduce some folks to the world of geocaching by announcing a contest that would award the first person to find the final container with some kind of prize. And by prize, I don't mean a piece of swag found in the container, but something like concert tickets, a loaded gift card, or something else of relatively high value.

My question is, is there some kind of rule against such a contest? I know commercial geocaches aren't allowed, but I don't think offering concert tickets would necessarily be considered promoting or advertising. Or would it? Any input will be much appreciated!

Recently I've been helping my local library and parks department with some geocaching related activities and the parks director is interested in increasing the number of caches hidden in our county's parks. A friend of mine and I are planning to create a rather large multi-cache (at least by my standards) that will take geocachers to each of our county's 19 parks. I thought this could be a good way to introduce some folks to the world of geocaching by announcing a contest that would award the first person to find the final container with some kind of prize. And by prize, I don't mean a piece of swag found in the container, but something like concert tickets, a loaded gift card, or something else of relatively high value.

My question is, is there some kind of rule against such a contest? I know commercial geocaches aren't allowed, but I don't think offering concert tickets would necessarily be considered promoting or advertising. Or would it? Any input will be much appreciated!

Sounds like a good thing, but why not put one cache in each park rather than one big multi? If the parks people want to have more caches this would be the better way to go as a large multi would tie up a ton of prime areas. Also by placing several caches you also have a chance to hide a variety of types and sizes to really introduce new people to all the variety the hobby has to offer.

Please don't call it a 'contest'.

Sorry -- but I hate to think of geocaching as being a contest (of any kind).

Why not just do as you plan, w/o calling it a contest? First-To-Find awards or prizes are fairly common, and that is what you are describing.

I agree, the thought of turning geocaching into a contest isn't all that appealing to me, but I think a lot of non-geocachers would be more likely to participate if there were some kind of reward. And my hope is that those who do participate will enjoy the geocaching aspect, not the contest aspect

Sounds like a good thing, but why not put one cache in each park rather than one big multi?

Good point.

May I suggest a bonus mystery cache for those who find all the traditionals?

Put a single digit of the co-ordinates in each of your Traditionals, and those who find all of them will have the numbers to the 'puzzle' final.

If I am passing through on vacation I may not have time for a 19 stage multi...but I would probably enjoy a few traditionals while visiting your town.

Sounds like a good thing, but why not put one cache in each park rather than one big multi?

Having 19 individual caches rather than a 19-stage multi will get a lot more people to visit those parks, too. Not many people will work all the way through or even attempt a 19-stage multi. That's pretty long. Maybe have one or more multis that visit 2-3 close-together parks, and have traditionals at the more widely-spaced parks.

Edit: I like AZcachemeister's idea, too.

Edited by The A-Team

Good point.

Put a single digit of the co-ordinates in each of your Traditionals, and those who find all of them will have the numbers to the 'puzzle' final.

If I am passing through on vacation I may not have time for a 19 stage multi...but I would probably enjoy a few traditionals while visiting your town.

You also make a good point. And I really like the bonus mystery cache idea. I may just have to take your suggestion.

Having 19 individual caches rather than a 19-stage multi will get a lot more people to visit those parks, too. Not many people will work all the way through or even attempt a 19-stage multi. That's pretty long. Maybe have one or more multis that visit 2-3 close-together parks, and have traditionals at the more widely-spaced parks.

Edit: I like AZcachemeister's idea, too.

I had wondered about the length of this multi. There are no multi-caches in my area that are even close to being this big, so I've been worried that people wouldn't even attempt it.

I agree with all being their own cache and add a bonus one to tie them all in.

I don't normally do multi caches after the last 2 I tried were missing parts. very frustrating. And having it available to the masses the chance of some going missing is pretty big.

Bonus sounds much better than contest.

Good point.

+1

Doing a 19 stage multi might get a few locals into the park, but other than that you will end up with very few people attempting your caches...and 19 places that will never see another cache due to proximity rules. And should one of those stages go missing it would ruin the entire cache.

I like to think that stages of a multi cache are like sneezes: 2 or 3 is normal and expected. 8 in a row (or 19) is just crazy. So if you have 2...bless you.

I would probably do traditionals. I remember reading an article online about them doing something similar in the state parks of Minnesota.

As for the multis, the longest I've ever found was four stages, but the longest I've ever heard of is a twelve stage called "Mario's Tower" in Cincinnati. You could place a couple of multis if you want, but keep them within two or three stages.

Why not create a passport tour with a prize at the end, check out other tours here

Passport Tours

I was going to suggest the same thing but I had not heard of a series of caches like this as a passport tour. If the Parks and Recreational Department or some other organization like it is going wants to "sponsor" a series of caches to promote their parks they could produce a passport book that could be "stamped" and turned into to get a custom geocoin for the reward rather than just a bonus cache.

Lots of municipalities and tourism bureaus are realizing the potential of geocaching as a benefit.

Check out the Help Center section "12. Partnering":

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=72

B.

You are not supposed to use the name of a business or commercial product on your cache page. For instance,one of our local cachers was giving out gift certificates to local businesses and was not allowed to name the businesses specifically on the cache page. For Canadian Tire, for instance, he referred to it as "national automobile parts" on the cache page. However, depending on the reviwer, you can sometimes get away with it. For instance, with my first cache, I put down there was a $10 gift card for Gardenworks and that seemed to slip through.

I agree with others about 19 individual caches. We have a tour like that in our province where you visit many differnet caches in different towns and at each one you get a sticker or write down a number and when your book is full, you can mail it in for a geocoin. Called geotourism.

If you're going to give out a prize, don't just give out 1 large prize, maybe give out prizes to the first 3 or even 10 cachers to complete it.

Edited by The_Incredibles_