Help need GPS unit and there is too much info out there

WE have been caching for awhile using an i phone. It is great to use in the city but we do a lot of camping where you do not get cell service. My husbands birthday is coming up and I would love to get him a gps unit. I have read forums and reviews but it seems to be info overload. Can anyone recommend a paperless gps unit that is easy to use and we wont out grow too fast. Thanks

WE have been caching for awhile using an i phone. It is great to use in the city but we do a lot of camping where you do not get cell service. My husbands birthday is coming up and I would love to get him a gps unit. I have read forums and reviews but it seems to be info overload. Can anyone recommend a paperless gps unit that is easy to use and we wont out grow too fast. Thanks

Garmin eTrex 20

Garmin eTrex 20

Or the eTrex 30.

Thanks for the responses. First price is not an issue. I just want something that will will not out grow as we continue to become more experienced at geocaching. The only purpose for this handheld will be geocaching. I have looked at two different models. One is Garmin Etrex 30 Handheld GPS and the other is Garmin Dakota 10 GPS. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? And how important is it to have a

built-in 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass? From my understanding I need this if I am standing still? Thanks for all your help, looking forward to make this purchase by weeks end and enjoying caching with the family for along time to come. :D

Edited by daynahope

Thanks for the responses. First price is not an issue. I just want something that will will not out grow as we continue to become more experienced at geocaching. The only purpose for this handheld will be geocaching. I have looked at two different models. One is Garmin Etrex 30 Handheld GPS and the other is Garmin Dakota 10 GPS. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? And how important is it to have a

built-in 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass? From my understanding I need this if I am standing still? Thanks for all your help, looking forward to make this purchase by weeks end and enjoying caching with the family for along time to come. :D

I really would not buy a gps without the electronic compass, I had one and hated it.

Therefore I would get the etrex 30 over the 20 for a few extra $$ if you're stuck on Garmin.

But I didn't go that route, I got the Magellan eXplorist 710 it's a great unit and will even give you turn by turn audio directions to get there while driving. It also has great Topo maps included, and a camera.

...First price is not an issue. I just want something that will will not out grow ...

Get the Montana - this is the unit that he is least likely to out-grow.

As to which model Montana: the more you love the guy, the bigger the model number.

Does the compass still need calibrating if you are looking for a cache and standing still and hence it should be pointing at the cache rather than using the compass to walk north, south etc ie using it for direcion rather than geocaching?

A good electronic compass will need minimum calibration....at most you would calibrate it every time you changed batteries ( takes only a few seconds).

A 62S using 2500 Eneloop Batteries may go through several battery changes without needing calibration. Folks who say you don't need a 3-axis electronic compass have probably never used a GOOD one ( if at all )....once using one for caching in the field you would never want to go back without one. Don't forget, it not about where North is...once a cache is selected the pointer will always point at the cache even if you are moving slowly or stopped. On difficult terrain you may not be able to walk fast enough (or do the " drunk dance " )to enable the pointer to guide you if you lack the compass feature.

From what I read the Etrex 30 has problems re the compass and I would avoid it.

DON'T GET A GPS WITHOUT A 3-AXIS ELECTRONIC COMPASS.

The 3-axis electronic compass is something I'd say is worth having, on the basis it updates even when you're not moving. If it's not 3-axis you have to hold the GPS level, which is a royal PITA in my opinion.

If money isn't an issue then don't bother with the Dakota 10, go for the 20. The 20 adds, IIRC, a memory card slot so you can store more maps, the ability to send and receive wirelessly and the compass. As far as I can see the only reason to get the 10 is if you can't afford the 20.

That said if money isn't an issue I'd be inclined to go for one of the higher units, the Oregon or Montana, if you want a touchscreen. The Dakota is quite a small unit, the Oregon is bigger and the Montana is the daddy. It's a huge great thing, wonderful for seeing lots of map although if you want to do things like urban caching and stealth is a concern the Montana does stand out a bit. I mount a Montana on the handlebars of my bike and it's a bit of a brick there too but the size of the map makes it worth it. It's not the most aerodynamic solution but then I'm not all that aerodynamic either.

What I'd say is that your first decision is whether you want an interface based on a touchscreen or based on buttons and rocker switches. From there you can decide which unit you want - I only know the Garmin range so list them, I'm sure others can comment on other brands. If you prefer a touchscreen the options are Dakota, Oregon, Montana and if you're not sensitive to price then I'd say the only reason to get the Dakota is if you want the small unit. If you prefer a button and rocker type of interface then look at the 62 or eTrex range.

OK, we know that use will be camping and areas with no cell phone coverage, and that price is not an issue.

So, we know that topo maps will be helpful. the other big question is how much tech experience the owner has, such as creating and loading maps to the GPSr.

If you want a GPSr that you can just put in batteries and run out the door, then the Magellan 310 with topo maps installed, or the Magellan 510 that has the maps and larger touch screen. The Delorme PN60 is also excellent, and comes with topo and computer maps. As for Garmins, go for one with the T in the model name such as Montana 650t. The Garmin eTrex 20 or 30 mentioned are small, light, and have long battery life, and you can find and load free topo maps with minimal effort.

As for GPS compass, many of us do not use it because: Have to calibrate, and then always worry that it is out of calibration, and uses battery life. I always carry a compass that is more accurate and better to site my bearing which is shown on the GOTO "compass" page.

So, we know that topo maps will be helpful. the other big question is how much tech experience the owner has, such as creating and loading maps to the GPSr.

If you want a GPSr that you can just put in batteries and run out the door, then the Magellan 310 with topo maps installed, or the Magellan 510 that has the maps and larger touch screen. The Delorme PN60 is also excellent, and comes with topo and computer maps. As for Garmins, go for one with the T in the model name such as Montana 650t. The Garmin eTrex 20 or 30 mentioned are small, light, and have long battery life, and you can find and load free topo maps with minimal effort.

I'd stay away from the "t" series in the Garmins as the 100k topo maps don't really give you as much detail as you'd like (it gives you some, just not the detail you'll probably want). The only reason I got the Montana 650t is that it was the same price as the 600 (sale deal) so I got to add a camera and the 100k maps for the same price as one without. As is mentioned above, you can find free 24k topo maps (which have greater detail) and load them with minimal effort.

Does the compass still need calibrating if you are looking for a cache and standing still and hence it should be pointing at the cache rather than using the compass to walk north, south etc ie using it for direcion rather than geocaching?

A good electronic compass will need minimum calibration....at most you would calibrate it every time you changed batteries ( takes only a few seconds).

A 62S using 2500 Eneloop Batteries may go through several battery changes without needing calibration. Folks who say you don't need a 3-axis electronic compass have probably never used a GOOD one ( if at all )....once using one for caching in the field you would never want to go back without one. Don't forget, it not about where North is...once a cache is selected the pointer will always point at the cache even if you are moving slowly or stopped. On difficult terrain you may not be able to walk fast enough (or do the " drunk dance " )to enable the pointer to guide you if you lack the compass feature.

Folks tend to love or hate the electronic compass. I've used them. I just don't see it as very useful or necessary (yes it was a 'good' one).

Folks tend to love or hate the electronic compass. I've used them. I just don't see it as very useful or necessary (yes it was a 'good' one).

First it's got to be 3-Axis.

The Meridian Platinum is a GREAT compass......smooth as silk.....no issues whatever ( I've handled about a dozen )

I own one 62S....very good compass but not quite as good as the Platinum.

I own one Oregon 450.......very good but I like the 62S a little better.

The 60 CSx is 2-axis but does a fair job......I would vastly prefer it to a unit without one at all.

I have a hard time viewing them as being not very useful but hating one is incomprehensible......that could only come from using a REALLY poor electronic compass.

I've always found this subject puzzling on the forums and I think its because from the very beginning I was lucky enough to be using a unit with a great compass ( folks on this forum told me what to buy )and therefore never could understand what the fuss was all about.

If price really is no issue, and you want something that will not be obsolete soon, the Garmin Montana is the way to go. The Garmin Montana is by far the most versatile handheld GPSr available, with plenty of room for you to grow into it, and Garmin engineers are still adding functionality to the unit, unlike most of it's siblings.

I have the Dakota 20, several Oregons, a GPSMap 60cs, Colorado 400t, and the Montana 650. The Montana gets used daily, the others mostly collect dust...

Also, as other have pointed out, the Garmin models with the "t" suffix include some maps that really are not very useful.

Good luck, and happy Caching!

thanks to everyone for their responses, I have made my purchase....Magellan eXplorist 610 - Canada. I cant wait to use it. I got a great education on these devices, at the end of the day, this should get us started and over time learn how to use it to its full extent. Thanks again

thanks to everyone for their responses, I have made my purchase....Magellan eXplorist 610 - Canada. I cant wait to use it. I got a great education on these devices, at the end of the day, this should get us started and over time learn how to use it to its full extent. Thanks again

Good Choice!!! Congats.