Some London & other caches disabled for the summer

I was told that it was OK although I never received any "official" notification! :unsure:

Groundspeak have said that a cache can be enabled by the owner once the location is no longer being used by the Olympics. If a venue is not being used by the Paralympics that means it can be enabled now B)

If the venue is being used by the Paralympics then please wait until after the games.

Andy

Red Duster

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

The cache by one of the entrances to the park was removed. The owner said that he was happy for people to still log it as a virtual if they attended the games, he would replace it afterwards.

Groundspeak took offence to the cache being logged by those who passed the site going into the stadium and archived the cache.

I logged it before it got archived but to me that just seems completely over the top. There was no cache, people werent acting suspiciously.

Loads of caches still seem to be disabled, is everyone on holiday I wonder <_<.

Or the CO's might need a prod :)

Not all venues are fully re-opened yet. For example, at the mountain biking venue of Hadleigh Farm, some footpaths are still closed until the clearup and making-safe of the site finishes next month, at least one cache there is still inactive because it's unreachable.

But I daresay a few will likely never be reactivated due to CO's losing interest :(

So who is responsible for reactivating the caches? Groundspeak, or the people who placed them? As alot of the caches (possibly all) I've looked at have been disabled by Groundspeak, maybe the people who placed them are waiting for Groundspeak to reactivate them?

The cache owner, I have posted notes on a few in Manchester but nothing has changed. I guess some will be archived before to long.

After a 3 day visit to London, I noticed that there are still a large number of caches that have not been re-enabled by their owners. Some were never removed and still had finds logged during the 'lock-down' period. How long before reviewers start posting their warning notes and caches start getting archived?

It would require us to do a 'sweep' of London to find them all. These sweeps are periodically done but if you come across such a cache please put a Needs Archived log on it which we are automatically notified about. We can then look at it.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

I notice the BeeKeeper has already threatened to archive some caches for non-maintenance, but is archiving necessarily the right action? Many of these caches are still in place and being found regularly despite being disabled. if you archive them they'll just become more geo-litter. Where caches are clearly in place is it possible a reviewer could just enable them?

Here's a selection from central London (not deliberately picking on anyone, but it's hard not to spot a theme here):

MyLondonAdventure #6 The BeeKeeper has already threatened to archive this one

MyLondonAdventure #9 Which has been found a few times, but needs maintenance

MyLondonAdventure #11 Last found 13th October so appears to be in place

MyLondonAdventure #14 Last found 16th October so appears to be in place

MyLondonAdventure #16 Last found 23rd Sept but a couple of DNFs since

Tiggopoly 9 - Fleet Street No finds since July

Tiggopoly 10 - Oxford Street which is being found regularly so should be enabled

Tiggopoly 11 - Mayfair which needs maintenance

Tiggopoly 12 - Park Lane which also needs maintenance

Tiggopoly 13 - Bond Street Cache is out of reach so needs maintenance. I've just posted a Needs Archving on it!

Tiggopoly 14 - Northumberland Avenue No finds since July

Tiggopoly 15 - Pall Mall The BeeKeeper has already threatened to archive this one

Tiggopoly 17 - Marlborough Street The BeeKeeper has already threatened to archive this one

Flonopoly Cache 17 - The Strand I didn't know any Flonopoly caches had survived but it was there on 12th October! These haven't been maintained for years

West End 1 - The Beatles Found on 9th October

Church Micro 1983 - Ogle Street, London No finds since July, 1DNF

I've emailed the owners since it appears you can't log a "Needs Maintenance" on a disabled cache!

Mark

Edited for typos and to add a few more caches to the list

Edited by MTH

If the CO isn't active any more it's arguably a less clear situation when the cache is still apparently present, but where central London is concerned I'd say if the owner is inactive they should be archived anyway, maybe with a request for any passing cacher to remove them. Otherwise if they are just enabled then sooner or later they will go missing, or need a dry log, or some other maintenance and then they'll eventually get archived for non-maintenance. The trouble with just enabling them and letting them fly is that when they do go missing it takes a while for them to get archived, during which time visitors to London end up hunting film pots that aren't there when they could be hunting active and maintained caches.