Wanna hear something nuts?

What's the distance from the crime scene to your cache location? If it's close, have you considered temporarily disabling your listing until the investigation is complete? I'd hate for an unsuspecting searcher to get into an uncomfortable situation.

What's the distance from the crime scene to your cache location? If it's close, have you considered temporarily disabling your listing until the investigation is complete? I'd hate for an unsuspecting searcher to get into an uncomfortable situation.

To be honest I don't know. It might be wise to do it anyway.

Heh... If it's close enough, it's probably sitting in the evidence room at the station. . .

You may also want to notify local law enforcement of the presence of your cache. They may get many reports of 'furtive individuals hiding in the bushes' and end up wasting time making geocachers into suspects otherwise...

Really? Do you think it would make a difference? I wouldn't want to waste their time.

You may also want to notify local law enforcement of the presence of your cache. They may get many reports of 'furtive individuals hiding in the bushes' and end up wasting time making geocachers into suspects otherwise...

Really? Do you think it would make a difference? I wouldn't want to waste their time.

I would go ahead and contact the local authorities. I wouldn't want to waste their time if they found my cache and thought it might be something else.

So I went by the area today to see just how close it is to my cache. The police tape was still up and there was police everywhere. I was able to snag some video and a few pics. It appears that my cache is about 50ft from the police line, but the area was really locked down. It is surrounded with police, you can't get in there without an officer seeing you. Decided to get some footage and move on. I posted the video online.

092e5885-9bf9-48d4-a86f-028d46f7c705.jpg

91594aaf-e445-4f18-ba2d-44244add741e.jpg

374b9157-bf06-4636-ade6-b17deebbe8be.jpg

Unless you hear that they determine that it was death by natural causes, I would think that might be a good idea. They will probably be asking around for "suspicious sightings" and it might help them to know that some of those people were there for your cache.

While you're at it... you might suggest they interview the FTF cacher. :lol:

Edited by knowschad

is your cache is behind a fence ?

you expect visitors to jump the fence ?

or is there access from the other side ?

There is access near the roadside, but it is a steep hill. Actually it is steep from all sides. Some have tried jumping the fence, but since you can see the end of the fence from there most decide to take a stroll.

I have seen on several locations, a fence was jumped many times due to a cache behind it

and a longer hike/walk is needed to legally access the area behind the fence where the cache is,

people are lazy and will jump fences to save time,

however they wear down the fence after alot of visits.

I hope this is not the case with your location, I dont know anything about your cache or its area.

If theyre unable to id the corpse in the next week or so it may be helpful to at least check the log and then the online entries to your cache.

Just in case (even if a small chance) its a cacher who logged their visit then didnt make it back to online log it.

Slim chance, but who know, right?

If theyre unable to id the corpse in the next week or so it may be helpful to at least check the log and then the online entries to your cache.

Just in case (even if a small chance) its a cacher who logged their visit then didnt make it back to online log it.

A friend of mine suggested the same thing.

I contacted them and they were wondering why the cache owner hadn't tried to communicate with them already, as the forensic team was combing the area. They also wanted to know if the CO owned a silver vehicle manufactured by GM after 2003.

I contacted them and they were wondering why the cache owner hadn't tried to communicate with them already, as the forensic team was combing the area. They also wanted to know if the CO owned a silver vehicle manufactured by GM after 2003.

So what did you tell them?

WOW, this has taken a turn, for sure.

Surprised that somebody called in lieu of the CO.

I think you should call em now, Flintstone.

Well the cache has my info and they could readily contact me if that was necessary. They are also aware of the local geocaching community, as one (if not more) of their staff are geocachers. If someone who isn't involved wants to be, that is their choice. I know that my cache is not in the crime scene so it makes me believe that it isn't relevant to the investigation.

Edited by Flintstone5611

If four-wheelin is not joking, I'd probably contact them.

He may be pulling our leg though.

Anyway, if you contact them, it might save you the cost of a new container. They may take it for evidence and not give it back unless you claim it.

I wouldn't assume they know about geocaching. They SHOULD, but they don't always.

I recently had a crime happen near a couple of my caches. Not sure how close yet. I'm thinking of going up there and trying to find out. Not sure if I will.

Here's a link to the local forum topic. There are many links to news articles in that thread.

Man killed family and hid in bunker in the woods

So I thought about it some more and with some of the feedback from the the forums I decided to offer the info about my cache. I consulted my internal connection and made a phone call. I gave what details I had and they offered to call back. I got a call requesting a full printout of all the online logs and for me to take the officers to the geocache. I got to go into detail about geocaching and we did a walk through of the cache. They asked for the cache to go through the logs and use it for the investigation, to which I agreed. If it isn't used as evidence I will get it back. Really nice guys!

Just a reminder, this what 4Wheelin_ Fool's sig said: "Disclaimer: I am NOT responsible for any injuries arising from the above post. Read at your own risk!"

I have never took him serious. :ph34r: If he is serious, not my problem if I dont believe him. That what happen when someone joke around too much.

Edited by SwineFlew

Just a reminder, this what 4Wheelin_ Fool's sig said: "Disclaimer: I am NOT responsible for any injuries arising from the above post. Read at your own risk!"

I have never took him serious. :ph34r: If he is serious, not my problem if I dont believe him. That what happen when someone joke around too much.

He was fishing. Didn't phase me. I realized that he was messing around when he over played his hand. I don't think the police are that eager to listen to an anonymous call from New Jersey, lol. Since this is a serious matter I didn't mind reassessing my position. It was the right thing to do.

1336095388[/url]' post='5032127']
1336094598[/url]' post='5032120']

He was fishing. Didn't phase me. I realized that he was messing around when he over played his hand. I don't think the police are that eager to listen to an anonymous call from New Jersey, lol. Since this is a serious matter I didn't mind reassessing my position. It was the right thing to do.

I think the police term for someone like that is a Delta Bravo.

The police have quite a job ahead of them. They need to determine the identity of the person, check missing person reports, find out how long the body was there, cause of death, and comb the immediate area to look for tiny amounts of potential evidence, which is plenty of time consuming work. If there is a geocache next to the scene but just outside of their search area, they ought to know about it. It could narrow down the time frame of when the person died, especially if it would have been obvious to any cache visitors. It would also explain items found in the area. It also could be a cacher who had a heart attack.

If you are aware there is a geocache 50 feet from a dead body, the logical thing to do is to inform the police of it. Standing there, taking a video and saying nothing does not help them. Life is not a spectator sport.

So the person that left this "geocache" here knows what is going on, but is hesitant to contact us?

Uh, yeah..

How serious is this activity? If he came to check on it, and came upon someone, er a "muggle" as you say, vandalizing or stealing the container, do you think that would be sufficient motive to kill?

Um, if it was me and I hadn't had my morning coffee yet..

er if it was another cacher doing it on purpose, yeah, I'd probably strangle them. I'd shove a dozen bison tubes down their throat. No, better yet I'd take an ammo can and stick it...

Well, perhaps he will eventually contact us. We'll be really nice in that case and see if we get any nervous vibes..

:rolleyes:

No, I did not call or speak to anyone. I did send them an e-mail. Simple communication in this day and age should not be difficult. I'm glad that the cache owner went and contacted them.

And that people actually read that disclaimer..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

It is too bad that you felt the need to to get involved (whether you did or didn't is immaterial). You made a few assumptions that were quite wrong. The cache was approximately 400-600 feet from the crime scene, it was 50 feet from their perimeter. That perimeter covered about ten acres of land. You weren't there and yet you try to be flippant about some pretty serious shenanigans that you pulled (if you did at all). I just hope that in real life you aren't so ready to make decisions that affect others adversely as you sit behind your computer screen unaffected. Hopefully you draw some solace in knowing that the right thing happened despite your threats and presumption. Since you were joking after all.

:D I only sent an email, as that's what a cop friend of mine suggested I do. I don't know how much "being involved" that is, and I wonder why it would matter to you anyway. The first cacher that realized the proximity should contact them and let the police decide how relevant it is. You decided to sit on the info, but stand there gawking while taking a video of them walking and poking around. I'm glad that you did decide to offer to help them, and if my humor was part of the catalyst, that's even better.

Why would that be odd? It wasn't in the crime scene. The officers said that there is no guarantee that it will have any impact on the investigation but will check it out. It has little to do with me and more to do with whatever happened, anyone could inform the police that there is a geocache there, it doesn't need to be me. Since you emailed a police force in another country to tell them how to do their job, perhaps you should get some kudos for your "joking around"? I am just glad that you feel the need to defend yourself on this.

It is too bad that you felt the need to to get involved (whether you did or didn't is immaterial). You made a few assumptions that were quite wrong. The cache was approximately 400-600 feet from the crime scene, it was 50 feet from their perimeter. That perimeter covered about ten acres of land.

I've been watching this thread for a bit and must say I was surprised you hadn't felt it necessary to get at least the log to the police. Clearly it's a serious investigation and someone apparently lost their life. In the above quote you minimize how close your cache was to the scene, but you started this thread because of how close this sad scene was to your cache in the first place. That's a bit of an incongruity.

The fact is that if you read the cache logs, there were people around the discovery scene in the weeks and months prior to the discovery. I believe one log indicated he had to walk around quite a bit. The police might want to talk to that guy to see if he had walked over the same ground the discovery was made. If so, they might be able to narrow their timeline to when this occurred. Further, there is likely some indirect video security video that catches cachers going around to the general area, and police might want the log info to help figure out who was who.

In the end, and to your proper credit, you "reassess[ed] your position" and contacted the authorities. Maybe it helps, maybe it won't. But you'll know you did your part in helping out. Remember, there's not necessarily a crime here, but someone could have had a medical condition, or taken their own life. In any case, they have family and loved ones who will want some closure. Hopefully they get it. I hope you'll keep us posted if the case is solved - especially if it's with your help!