Define "Cache & Dash"

ohmelli

I'm wondering what are the "rules" for calling something a "cache & dash"! To ME, it sounds like something I ought to be able to stop and grab on my way home from work and not break a heel (a high heel, I mean) or destroy a suit! :laughing: To ME, it sounds like something I would not come away from wearing TICKS! :rolleyes: To ME, it sounds like lamp post caches and parking sign nanos. It does NOT sound like trekking through the woods or even a graveyard really... :blink: ... it SOUNDS like something I should be able to hunt for on my way to (or from) church... for instance. But I could be WRONG! (obviously I am.) :D

There are no rules for what a cache can be named or labeled.

The guidelines cover agenda,commercial, and family friendly issues. But there isn't anything in them about terms or phrases used out of context.

There may be common sense involved, but even that might vary with the seasons. I've seen LPC's and guard rail caches become almost impossible to find thanks to plowed snow.

I do a tick check after working in my back yard and my secondary driveway gets muddy in a good rain. I have even seen a power trail that was a nice 3+ mile hike in the woods as it actually just followed the maintenance vehicle roadway. Those areas can get really muddy around here.

Edited by wimseyguy

I agree with you, omelli, that it does imply a quick find without mess, mud, or sweat! But since the attributes are determined by the cache owner, he or she may consider something very easy that would be a challenge for others. (Especially if the cache happens to be missing the day you go to look for it!) We've been to some of the cache and dashes where heavy muggle presence prevented us from grabbing the cache, or we had to wait out someone parked in a bench or sitting in a nearby car. So you never really know if that quick cache will be quick for you! The only thing that may help is experience; those who have found plenty of caches will at least approach the new one with some ideas in mind.

But I could be WRONG! (obviously I am.) :D

I would expect a "Cache & Dash" to be not so difficult to locate in a fairly easy to access location. Doesn't mean there wouldn't be ticks or mud or tree roots to trip on. :ph34r:

It is always possible for someone to go after a cache via an unexpected approach and foil the "Cache & Dash" aspect. :o

In fact there are teams who pride themselves in their ability to turn a 1.5D/1.5T into a 3.5/4! :lol:

I would definitely find a difference between a "cache & Dash" and a "park-n-grab", although this is just my opinion. Cache & Dash to me would mean something as far as 500 feet from parking, and would include a cemetery. I suppose there could be some tall grass and ticks involved. Park-n-grab intimates more of an LPC, or nano on a sign.

I would definitely find a difference between a "cache & Dash" and a "park-n-grab", although this is just my opinion. Cache & Dash to me would mean something as far as 500 feet from parking, and would include a cemetery. I suppose there could be some tall grass and ticks involved. Park-n-grab intimates more of an LPC, or nano on a sign.

Ah! Now see! I'm so *NEW* I hadn't even heard of a "park-n-grab" yet! Haven't come across one labeled such in my area... although I have found a few that fit that separation from your definition of a cache & dash! Uh... soooooo much to learn! And these daily TESTS are killin' me! :P

Ah! Now see! I'm so *NEW* I hadn't even heard of a "park-n-grab" yet! Haven't come across one labeled such in my area... although I have found a few that fit that separation from your definition of a cache & dash! Uh... soooooo much to learn! And these daily TESTS are killin' me! :P

All you can really do is look at:

- size / difficulty / terrain rating (micro / D: 1-1.5 / T: 1-1.5 is often a code for caches that won't crease your dockers.)

- look at an aireal photo of the area and if it's concrete, you are pretty safe from ticks or mud

- notice that you are driving into the parking lot of a big box store

All these things are hallmarks of park-n-grabs. It is not difficult to find these most places.

By the way - there is really nothing wrong with the outdoors. It's nice out there! :) I understand though, that sometimes it is convenient to want to play, but not find yourself outfitted for it.

I found one of those "cache & dashes" that you're referring to while I was on a lunch break once - in my good shoes, work clothes, dress coat. By the time I got my signature on the log, I had pretty much caked the shoes with mud and had a nice mud stain down the back side where I wiped out on the hill. :lol:

- size / difficulty / terrain rating (micro / D: 1-1.5 / T: 1-1.5 is often a code for caches that won't crease your dockers.)

- look at an aireal photo of the area and if it's concrete, you are pretty safe from ticks or mud

All these things are hallmarks of park-n-grabs. It is not difficult to find these most places.

By the way - there is really nothing wrong with the outdoors. It's nice out there! :) I understand though, that sometimes it is convenient to want to play, but not find yourself outfitted for it.

ZACTLY! Today I was out in the woods and the beach and all over... but SOMEtimes I click "find nearby caches" and think "oh, this one will just be quick - it says 'cache & dash'... and then I'm dragged into a half mile hike for a micro hidden in a log that I gotta hop over a creek to get to"... and I come out thinking "that wasn't exactly a QUICK cache! And what would have been FUN if I had on jeans and sneaks is not soooooo much fun in pumps and slacks. :huh: Maybe we should have a "dress code" rating! :lol:

Maybe we should have a "dress code" rating! :lol:

This is not a bad idea. There is a "lunch-time cache" attribute that you could look for - those tend to be used on caches that are quick and have a low risk of embarrassing you in your after-lunch meeting. For that matter, there is a "Park-n-grab" attribute too - hopefully people in your area use that. Perhaps someone should request that they add an attribute for "doable while wearing pumps." (Possibly I could lie about what that meant and convince my wife to go cache with me "look hon - a cache with a picture of a pump - you gotta go!") ;)

ZACTLY! Today I was out in the woods and the beach and all over... but SOMEtimes I click "find nearby caches" and think "oh, this one will just be quick - it says 'cache & dash'... and then I'm dragged into a half mile hike for a micro hidden in a log that I gotta hop over a creek to get to"... and I come out thinking "that wasn't exactly a QUICK cache! And what would have been FUN if I had on jeans and sneaks is not soooooo much fun in pumps and slacks. :huh: Maybe we should have a "dress code" rating! :lol:

I seriously have my doubts that there is an abundance of caches that are designated in the title or description as "cache and dash" and lead you into a half mile hike into the woods

I seriously have my doubts that there is an abundance of caches that are designated in the title or description as "cache and dash" and lead you into a half mile hike into the woods

Nope... not an abundance! Most caches are appropriately labeled. But there definitely are some out there that make me scratch my head! (NOT from ticks, fleas, chiggars or mosquitos!) :P

Sorry M5 -- but I think it's already been decided here that different people have differing views of what a cache & dash IS... I'm not looking to start trouble for anyone... I was just seeking other's views. If I wanted to "report" it, I would. This is a "friendly" conversation.

I'm wondering what are the "rules" for calling something a "cache & dash"! To ME, it sounds like something I ought to be able to stop and grab on my way home from work and not break a heel (a high heel, I mean) or destroy a suit! :laughing: To ME, it sounds like something I would not come away from wearing TICKS! :rolleyes: To ME, it sounds like lamp post caches and parking sign nanos. It does NOT sound like trekking through the woods or even a graveyard really... :blink: ... it SOUNDS like something I should be able to hunt for on my way to (or from) church... for instance. But I could be WRONG! (obviously I am.) :D

1. park next to lamp post

2. lift cover

3. replace

4. drive away

I did take a few LPC in Florida, they are specially cool when you just hate shopping in general,

and like the sun and outdoors more, so I send wife inside, and I take a little walk arround the parking lot,

or even a little bit away from it,

just great there is a lot of different available so you can always find what matches you mood and time and skill.

ok we also took a few LPC without ever leaving the car !!

it's typical us trying to make an else boring cache more funny :-)

This is not a bad idea. There is a "lunch-time cache" attribute that you could look for - those tend to be used on caches that are quick and have a low risk of embarrassing you in your after-lunch meeting. For that matter, there is a "Park-n-grab" attribute too - hopefully people in your area use that. Perhaps someone should request that they add an attribute for "doable while wearing pumps." (Possibly I could lie about what that meant and convince my wife to go cache with me "look hon - a cache with a picture of a pump - you gotta go!") ;)

A very active KY cacher ends his logs with his footwear rating for the cache from sandals to snowshoes.

A local pal got a 'hiking shoes' on one of his hides and considered it a badge of honor.

A very active KY cacher ends his logs with his footwear rating for the cache from sandals to snowshoes.

A local pal got a 'hiking shoes' on one of his hides and considered it a badge of honor.

THAT is very cool! I might have to come up with something like that! :lol: