Cache Container Idea

Tyzone

I recently realized I can fit a log sheet inside the edge piece of a rubik's cube which would make for an awesome geocache. My question is this: would it be a traditional, multi, or puzzle cache if the cube had to be solved in order to obtain directions to find and remove the log sheet? (the cacher would only know the cube needed to be solved to find the sheet, not that it would be inside)

I recently realized I can fit a log sheet inside the edge piece of a rubik's cube which would make for an awesome geocache. My question is this: would it be a traditional, multi, or puzzle cache if the cube had to be solved in order to obtain directions to find and remove the log sheet? (the cacher would only know the cube needed to be solved to find the sheet, not that it would be inside)

That wouldn't work very well as a cache container, due to a total lack of water resistance. But, I can see how it could be used as a stage for a multi. You could solve it, write the coordinates on the sections, in a precise order, from one side to another, then the other half on the opposite sides. Then scramble it, and the numbers no longer fit until it's solved again.

Edited by Dgwphotos

Puzzle with field puzzle attribute field_puzzle-yes.gif

But if in doubt, check with your local reviewer.

That wouldn't work very well as a cache container, due to a total lack of water resistance. But, I can see how it could be used as a stage for a multi. You could solve it, write the coordinates on the sections, in a precise order, from one side to another, then the other half on them opposite sides. Then scramble it, and the numbers no longer fit until it's solved again.

The only problem I see is that you can easily solve it without taking it apart or it solving the cube itself. You would just need to right down what is one each square, and seeing the colors, you would know which order the numbers go in...

Edited by Arndtwe

As a practical matter, I would expect some people to "solve" the cube by disassembling and then reassembling it. That might result in them finding the log before solving the puzzle.

+1 Alot of people will just take it apart rather than solving it the proper way. Few will know how to solve a Rubix cube. Perhaps encourage people to go in groups with at least 1 person who can solve it.

I would suggest letting people know on the cache page that there will specifically be a Rubix cube to solve, so they can prepare themselves. It may also be very helpful to link to pages on how to solve one so people can 'study' up or print off the information ahead of time and bring it with them.

As a math teacher and someone who can do the Cube in 2 minutes I have wanted to put out a hide that involved one. But I know most people have no idea how to do one and even given the proper instructions would take a knife and pop it apart. This will cause significant wear and tear. Plus it may be put back together wrong. Learn your community and if you think that it will work put it out. I've decided against it.

Hmm... I don't remember needing a knife to disassemble a cube. I remember being able to rotate a face 45° and then pop a corner piece out easily. But it's been a while since I've done it, so the internal design may have changed.

If you want to mess with someone who barely knows how to solve the cube, then reassemble it with one piece rotated, and then scramble it. See how long it takes them to figure out that the cube is unsolvable in that configuration.

A year ago someone put out a puzzle in our area where you solved the Rubik's Cube, then put it into "Checkerboard". Once you did that, you had the north on one side (using the 9 squares - 1 number per square) and the west on an adjacent side, similar deal. It came out Christmas Eve night, and I showed my wife the notification with my puppy dog eyes. I solve the Cube in under a minute. She knew I had to go, so I did. I found it and solved it at 11:00 in the evening on Christmas eve night, mixed it back up, went and got the final, and got home just in time to find out someone else was trying it. He couldn't believe someone ELSE knew how to solve it that fast who happened to live closer to the area! Well, the cube got muggled Christmas morning. Someone else had ANOTHER Christmas present under their tree. The cache was archived a month later when the owner decided it would be too hard to maintain. :P

Anyway - the owner made it CLEAR what the people were going to see when they got to the field puzzle. There was no surprise when someone got there. With that in mind, a number of people were discussing (while the cache was disabled and before it got archived) who they would get to come with them to help them solve the cube, while others discussed how to figure out the coordinates without solving it (just putting it together mentally looking at the blocks.) It seemed like a great idea and I was sad it disappeared.

Hmm... I don't remember needing a knife to disassemble a cube. I remember being able to rotate a face 45° and then pop a corner piece out easily. But it's been a while since I've done it, so the internal design may have changed.

I find a flat edge like a screwdriver or knife helps pop that first piece out. I just tried without it and the corner is pretty firm on mine.