FTF Booty. To register or not?

Wolfiesden

I am shopping for an appropriate FTF reward, likely to be a geocoin (unless someone else has a better idea). So, the question I have is should I activate it and place it in the cache's inventory or should it be unactivated and let the recipient choose to activate or not?

Whats the custom? This will be my first cache so I am not sure what is customary by tradition.

If you want it to be a prize let them decide what they would like to do with it. If it is listed in the inventory then you would have to adopt it over to them so they would actually own it.

I have used FTF pins as a prize. I'm not sure if anyone still sells them but I have some that are shaped like 35 film canisters that I have used for the few micros I have placed and others that are shaped like ammo cans. Both have FTF on them.

Hey, a newly-minted U.S Double Eagle would be just fine. :D

Geocoins are a great FTF prize, but then, so is a folded up (or not folded, ever) $2 Jefferson bill. Get 'em at your local bank for just $2 each. A real deal and it is a nice prize, to boot!

If you are giving away a geocoin, it would be best not to activate it. Let the finder, hence new owner, activate it.

There is nothing that says an FTF prize is necessary. The only real custom regarding FTF, is the virgin log book or sheet.

EDIT: The Gitch's normal bad Englissss

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hey, a newly-minted U.S Double Eagle would be just fine. :D

Geocoins are a great FTF prize, but then, so is a folded up (or not folded, ever) $2 Jefferson bill. Get 'em at your local bank for just $2 each. A real deal and it is a nice prize, to boot!

If you are giving away a geocoin, it would be best not to activate it. Let the finder, hence new owner, activate it.

There is nothing that says an FTF prize is necessary. The only real custom regarding FTF, is the virgin log book or sheet.

EDIT: The Gitch's normal bad Englissss

Well, you are not going to get a newly minted Double Eagle anywhere. They have not been minted since 1933 afaik :) And at about $1800 ea you aren't gonna get an old one either, at least not in my cache :) I might throw in a foreign coin or maybe an indian head penny or perhaps a silver Roosevelt dime. Any double eagles I get, I keep :)

I know I don't have to put anything in but its my FIRST cache and that makes it special see? So I wanted to put something in to mark the occasion.

There were a few that I have been eyeballing...

This one was actually listed as a FTF item

http://www.cacheboxstore.com/ftf-geocoin-antique-gold/

I personally like the style of this one, though not a FTF design, I still like it:

http://www.cacheboxstore.com/pirate-bones-aquatic-geocoin-antique-silver/

This one is ok, not outstanding but interesting

http://www.coinsandpins.com/geocoins/first-to-find/first-to-find-geocoin-gold

Again, not a FTF coin but one I liked

http://www.1stcacher.com/trackables/geocoins/geocoin-dragon-spinner-rot13-ag.html

Some more possibilities:

http://www.coinsandpins.com/geocoins/assorted-geocoins/luck-of-the-find-geocoin-ant-bronze-pol-nickel

http://en.geocoin-land.com/en-detail-401401-corsair-legends-iii-calico-jack-antique-bronze-black-abb.html

http://www.thecachingplace.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=23&idproduct=304

http://shop.spacecoastgeocachers.com/Geocachers-Day-Geocoin-1680.htm;jsessionid=F697CF1AE92F89BA4113E7A3814E796B.qscstrfrnt05

http://www.geocoindirect.net/geocoin/67-knights-of-the-round-table-geocoin-le-antique-silver.html

Anyway, there are others on my list but that gives you an ide of what I am considering.

I am shopping for an appropriate FTF reward, likely to be a geocoin (unless someone else has a better idea). So, the question I have is should I activate it and place it in the cache's inventory or should it be unactivated and let the recipient choose to activate or not?

Whats the custom? This will be my first cache so I am not sure what is customary by tradition.

Just to consider. If the coin is never asked/offered to be adopted you'll always have it in your profile until you find a way to transfer someplace. There's no re-releasing coins.

Don't activate it. that'll drain some value off it.

An unactivated coin is a very generous FTF prize. :)

Just a small point: If you do decide to leave the coin, put a note with it explain that it's a prize, not a special bit of starter swag, so that the cacher knows that they can take it with clear conscience without having to trade something of equal value.

MrsB

Just a small point: If you do decide to leave the coin, put a note with it explain that it's a prize, not a special bit of starter swag, so that the cacher knows that they can take it with clear conscience without having to trade something of equal value.

See. This is why I love you folks. Always thinking. I would have assumed the FTF would know to take it. Maybe I will make a card with it in the card and instructions in the log bag to take it.

Seems the consensus is to not activate it. Thank you all for your thoughts. Part of me wanted to activate it so I could see where it went but I see the logic in letting the person who gets it decide the best course of action given his/her personal tastes. It is a gift and gifts should, correctly, not have strings attached.

Thank you all for your feedback and comments. Oh..and I got permission from my workplace to put a cache here at work. So #2 is already in the works :)

See. This is why I love you folks. Always thinking. I would have assumed the FTF would know to take it. Maybe I will make a card with it in the card and instructions in the log bag to take it.

Seems the consensus is to not activate it. Thank you all for your thoughts. Part of me wanted to activate it so I could see where it went but I see the logic in letting the person who gets it decide the best course of action given his/her personal tastes. It is a gift and gifts should, correctly, not have strings attached.

Thank you all for your feedback and comments. Oh..and I got permission from my workplace to put a cache here at work. So #2 is already in the works :)

Un-labelled coins have caused a huge amount of confusion - the way geocaching works would mean that an unlabelled, unactivated geocoin in a cache whould automatically be treated as Swag. But you won't often know it is unactivated until you get home, and therefore pick it up assuming it is a traveller. Hence it is important to always label (or leave a note with) a geocoin left in a geaocache to explain whether it is a gift, or a swag item that is to be traded fairly, or - if it is a traveller - it's mission. Takes the guess work out of it. :)

If you want to see where the geocoin goes, then keep a note of the Tracking Number and occasionally check it. BUT... the problem there is that the person who picks it up may not ever activate it - they might sell it, or trade it, or gift it!

That's why my recommendation is to activate it and then transfer ownership to the FTF'er. That way it is activated already and more likely to then travel. Being pre-activated shouldn't look at as a "string attached", it is still a gift. :)

BUT... the problem there is that the person who picks it up may not ever activate it - they might sell it, or trade it, or gift it!

What would be wrong with any of those options, it was a gift (or reward for FTF) to them.

That's why my recommendation is to activate it and then transfer ownership to the FTF'er. That way it is activated already and more likely to then travel. Being pre-activated shouldn't look at as a "string attached",it is still a gift. :)

It would still be a gift, but there are strings attached as it is activated. That is a string!

BUT... the problem there is that the person who picks it up may not ever activate it - they might sell it, or trade it, or gift it!

What would be wrong with any of those options, it was a gift (or reward for FTF) to them.

That's why my recommendation is to activate it and then transfer ownership to the FTF'er. That way it is activated already and more likely to then travel. Being pre-activated shouldn't look at as a "string attached",it is still a gift. :)

It would still be a gift, but there are strings attached as it is activated. That is a string!

As a gift the receiver has no right to assume anything about the gift. They shouldn't make any presumptions. Therefore, IMO, it isn't really a string. It is more an incentive that the coin will be moved around - which is what the OP was wanting to see. (Hence my first point that you highlighted! Yes, nothing wrong with that at all, but it isn't what the OP was wanting to see happen to it, so the suggestion is for their benefit as a way that their preferred goal might happen)

As a gift the receiver has no right to assume anything about the gift. They shouldn't make any presumptions. Therefore, IMO, it isn't really a string. It is more an incentive that the coin will be moved around - which is what the OP was wanting to see. (Hence my first point that you highlighted! Yes, nothing wrong with that at all, but it isn't what the OP was wanting to see happen to it, so the suggestion is for their benefit as a way that their preferred goal might happen)

If the OP is interested in watching the trackable move around then they should put a TB in the cache. Most FTFers will grab a TB to move along. A coin is a gift and once you give that gift you have no say in how it is handled. You can watch it, but if I never activate it you aren't going to see it.

Yes, I was interested in seeing it move around from its initial "home". Thought it would be neat to see its travels. After thinking it through, that really didnt make it a gift did it? So, upon reflection, the FTF item will not be registered. I will note the number on it incase I want to look to see if its shown up or not. The FTF is free to keep it, activate it, sell it, ebay it, or throw it in the trash. Its his/hers.

I will try to get a TB tag on something to track instead. I think that is the right way to handle it, no?

This is a good discussion going here, I am enjoying seeing all the different points of view being presented.

Yes, I was interested in seeing it move around from its initial "home". Thought it would be neat to see its travels. After thinking it through, that really didnt make it a gift did it? So, upon reflection, the FTF item will not be registered. I will note the number on it incase I want to look to see if its shown up or not. The FTF is free to keep it, activate it, sell it, ebay it, or throw it in the trash. Its his/hers.

I will try to get a TB tag on something to track instead. I think that is the right way to handle it, no?

This is a good discussion going here, I am enjoying seeing all the different points of view being presented.

Yes I think that is the right way to handle it. You want to see something moving around from your first cache and you want also to reward the FTFer. Two different things so a TB and a coin serves the purpose well.

I have to agree that if you are leaving a geocoin as a FTF then it is a gift and as such it shouldnt be activated. My first geocache, that I placed last year, had a coin as a FTF and I left it unactivated but like you wanted something to travel so my very first trackable(also a coin) was placed there too. This I thought was the best solution :) Hope you have fun watching your first coin or TB and luck to your first cache.