The Oldest Active is back

jellis

If they only performed bybass surgery on the oldest people in the world, then yeah... I stick with my statement. But that is not the case. Anybody that needs it can get it. It is available to all, therefore it is not special treatment.

I dunno, there's a lot of people out there that can't get that kind of treatment...

But the reason is not because they aren't old enough.

That's not true. The elderly in England are routinely denied life saving procedures that are routinely given to those younger. Just one of the many benefits of the community deciding the level of your heath care for you.

If they only performed bybass surgery on the oldest people in the world, then yeah... I stick with my statement. But that is not the case. Anybody that needs it can get it. It is available to all, therefore it is not special treatment.

I dunno, there's a lot of people out there that can't get that kind of treatment...

That's not true. The elderly in England are routinely denied life saving procedures that are routinely given to those younger. Just one of the many benefits of the community deciding the level of your heath care for you.

I can really follow how this relates to a cache in a hole in Kansas. Really I can. :laughing:

I can really follow how this relates to a cache in a hole in Kansas. Really I can. :laughing:

Yeah, I think we're overanalyzing my statement just a bit.

Anybody know what blood type Mingo has?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

That is the exact opposite of what I was saying. They were refused because they were too old.

Glad to see it's been enabled. :)

From what I've seen the only thing different that's happened in regards to this cache and its age is the interest in these forums and the rather heavy handed comments and actions by Hemlock. Our local reviewers are very good at keeping on top of long disabled caches and/or ones tagged with a 'Needs Archived' log. 4 months is probably about right for the process to take from start to finish, but 6-9 months or longer are not unheard of. I don't remember any case where the owner approved of someone replacing a container with a different sized one and the reviewer saying it was not OK. That should be strictly up to the cache owner IMO. If the owner was not involved in the decision or was totally absent, that would be another matter entirely. The owner in this case said the replacement was fine and once it was fixed to his satisfaction enabled the cache within a week. While not the fastest response time, I think it was well within reason.

That is the exact opposite of what I was saying. They were refused because they were too old.

Sorry, I was confused by your use of a double negative.

Glad to see it's been enabled. :)

From what I've seen the only thing different that's happened in regards to this cache and its age is the interest in these forums and the rather heavy handed comments and actions by Hemlock. Our local reviewers are very good at keeping on top of long disabled caches and/or ones tagged with a 'Needs Archived' log. 4 months is probably about right for the process to take from start to finish, but 6-9 months or longer are not unheard of. I don't remember any case where the owner approved of someone replacing a container with a different sized one and the reviewer saying it was not OK. That should be strictly up to the cache owner IMO. If the owner was not involved in the decision or was totally absent, that would be another matter entirely. The owner in this case said the replacement was fine and once it was fixed to his satisfaction enabled the cache within a week. While not the fastest response time, I think it was well within reason.

I'm glad to see it enabled too.

I'd also add the whole community care thing. It's one thing if the owner asks for help maintain a cache. It's completely different if people, without the blessings of the owner, keep a cache on life support.

To me, I'm happy it's back but if it were archive I could live with it.

I'm just glad this is over for now. Until whoever did it does it again. From what the CO said, he is thankful someone fixed it.

So it's settled OK?

Edited by jellis

Yeah, I think we're overanalyzing my statement just a bit.

Anybody know what blood type Mingo has?

Depends on which container we're talking about :ph34r:

The cache owner just enabled Mingo with a thank you for the help in fixing it.

I can guess that the muggle and several forum users may be crestfallen to hear the news, but it is back.

Yay, something was done (by other people) and then the CO clicked some buttons (eventually)! Now the cache is back up for other people to find!

GEOCACHING IS SAVED!

:rolleyes:

That seems to be sardonic hyperbole to mask your crestfallen demeanor. :D

Whose side are you on? Team Mingo or Team Muggle?

Your eternal geosoul is in jeopardy here. :rolleyes:

heavy handed comments and actions by Hemlock.

What heavy-handed actions would those be exactly? Disabling the cache? Really? Holding this cache to the same standards as just about any other cache?

Yes, heavy handed since he disabled it due to his personal opinion, as stated in this log. It's plain to see that he was definitely not holding it to the same standards as 'just about any other cache'.

What heavy-handed actions would those be exactly? Disabling the cache? Really? Holding this cache to the same standards as just about any other cache?

Yes, heavy handed since he disabled it due to his personal opinion, as stated in this log. It's plain to see that he was definitely not holding it to the same standards as 'just about any other cache'.

This is strictly my opinion, but I read that as an attempt at disabling due to it being a throwdown. Or maybe that's just how I want to read it, but the micro was a throwdown which, according to everything I understand, warrants a disable-ment ( :blink: )

And I'll go along with the thread closure. Anything else at this point is just repetition without purpose.

This is strictly my opinion, but I read that as an attempt at disabling due to it being a throwdown. Or maybe that's just how I want to read it, but the micro was a throwdown which, according to everything I understand, warrants a disable-ment ( :blink: )

And I'll go along with the thread closure. Anything else at this point is just repetition without purpose.

Yes, the micro was a throwdown. I've never seen that, in and of itself, the reason for a cache being disabled.

I agree that this thread has run its course. Time for the talking heads to move onto another topic... :P

Yes, the micro was a throwdown. I've never seen that, in and of itself, the reason for a cache being disabled.

I agree that this thread has run its course. Time for the talking heads to move onto another topic... :P

I'll bet you I could duplicate the feat of having a cache with a throw-down disabled just because a throw-down was thrown down. Most notably by posting an SBA to a long missing, never disabled cache with an absentee owner, that suddenly shows up again by someone claiming a find and throwing one down. I will not do this however, because it would only make me a talking head. :lol:

First log posted since all the drama: tftc.

At least they found the actual cache. I don't know what people were finding while the cache was disabled but those people were logging something that they found something. For years I had thought that Waymarking wasn't geocaching, I guess I was wrong.

Edited by Glenn

At least they found the actual cache. I don't know what people were finding while the cache was disabled but those people were logging something that they found something. For years I had thought that Waymarking wasn't geocaching, I guess I was wrong.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If I were to post a 4 letter log for Mingo at this point, I would have said, "WHEW!"

The cache was disabled to allow the owner to do maintenance. The throwdown, and the owner not changing the cache size, showed that the owner wasn't maintaining their listing.

2006 was a great geocaching year for me. I found Mingo and got to hug Ambrosia. I am glad it is active again. We drove from Bremerton, Wa via Southern Illinois to visit relatives and then to Mingo. Lucked out, it was our actual 1300th find. I may be wrong on the year I got to hug Ambrosia but it was at the Spring Fling in Washington State. You can verify my find of Mingo by clicking on my Avatar.

2006 was a great geocaching year for me. I found Mingo and got to hug Ambrosia. I am glad it is active again. We drove from Bremerton, Wa via Southern Illinois to visit relatives and then to Mingo. Lucked out, it was our actual 1300th find. I may be wrong on the year I got to hug Ambrosia but it was at the Spring Fling in Washington State. You can verify my find of Mingo by clicking on my Avatar.

Yup. it was 2006. That's the first year I got to hug Ambrosia.

The cache was disabled to allow the owner to do maintenance. The throwdown, and the owner not changing the cache size, showed that the owner wasn't maintaining their listing.

So the reviewers are now going to start disabling and possibly archiving caches because people replace containers for owners and/or the listed size is not what's in place for people to find? :blink:

So the reviewers are now going to start disabling and possibly archiving caches because people replace containers for owners and/or the listed size is not what's in place for people to find? :blink:

If it comes to the attention of a reviewer that a cache owner is not maintaining their listing in a reasonable period of time, then yes, they will disable it with a warning. This has been happening for many years, if not from the beginning.

What!!!!, u think old cache needs "special" treatment? You are dead wrong. I know a old cache was archive here because the CO failed to log on and update the coordinate. The guideline said the CO is to maintenance the cache page and the cache itself, if they dont, the cache it at risk of getting archive. Thats square and fair.

If it comes to the attention of a reviewer that a cache owner is not maintaining their listing in a reasonable period of time, then yes, they will disable it with a warning. This has been happening for many years, if not from the beginning.

I'm not a new cacher and am somewhat aware of process that reviewers use to disable/archive caches. <_<

I've not seen either of those two things be the reasons for a cache to be disabled/archived. Those are, or should be, an owners prerogative, not maintenance issues.

Then there was his taunting posting on the cache page (he has since removed) that said "tic-tock, tic-tock, tic-tock", or words to that affect. He also was responsible for the achiving of one of the oldest urban caches here in the Portland area recently.

Then there was his taunting posting on the cache page (he has since removed) that said "tic-tock, tic-tock, tic-tock", or words to that affect. He also was responsible for the achiving of one of the oldest urban caches here in the Portland area recently.

Talking about this one? http://coord.info/GC89B

That one is against the guideline. It become a virtual. Big no-no.

Edited by SwineFlew

Talking about this one? http://coord.info/GC89B

That one is against the guideline. It become a virtual. Big no-no.

Umm. Back in 2003 it was not a no-no.