Best place to geocache

Vixxen81

Hey everyone,

I plan on taking a week long vacation in a couple of months and I am trying to figure out the best place to go. It needs to be around South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, or Tennessee. I want to go somewhere that has a ton of geocaches but ones that involve hiking not stop and grabs. Also, caves, waterfalls, and spectacular views are always a bonus. I am open to any and all ideas. Thanks!

*Vixxen81*

Hey everyone,

I plan on taking a week long vacation in a couple of months and I am trying to figure out the best place to go. It needs to be around South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, or Tennessee. I want to go somewhere that has a ton of geocaches but ones that involve hiking not stop and grabs. Also, caves, waterfalls, and spectacular views are always a bonus. I am open to any and all ideas. Thanks!

*Vixxen81*

I really enjoyed cachin' around Asheville, N.C. Great views, neat places to visit and eat, and a super cool group of cachers. Contact NCGO. Asheville reminds me of a mix between San Francisco and Austin which are two of my favorite places.

I also enjoyed the cachin' I did in Tennessee. Another cool buncha cachers there too. There's a waterfall EC (I forget which) that a lot of folks in my Texas cachin' group count among their most favorites. I skipped that side trip to show Asheville to my wife on the way home from GW7. Asheville is my retirement Plan B location.

I hear a lot of the caves in the areas you mention are off limits. Something to do with a disease among bats is the official story. We all know it's the cold war with the mole people heating up again though. :rolleyes:

mole-people-mole-dude.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Hey everyone,

*Vixxen81*

Since I used to live in SC and it was before I discover geocaching. Asheville is a good place to go. I used to go up to Cherokee, NC about twice a year for camping and loves it, but there isnt much caches there. Another area is Banner elk NC area.(ski resorts in that area) There are bunch of virtual, earthcaches and plenty of hiking. There is a public cave down in the Linville area. Stop and do this Earthcache if you are in the area.... http://coord.info/GC1W085

Edited by SwineFlew

Hey everyone,

*Vixxen81*

Hike a section of the Appalacian Trail (read a copy of Bill Bryson's book A Walk In The Woods before you go.) I'd be jealous if you did this. :)

Hey everyone,

*Vixxen81*

I asked a similar question several years ago and was looking for a place to go using some frequent flier miles. I wasn't necessarily interested in a place with a "ton" of caches, but one of the places at the top of the list was the Nashville area. One of the others recommendations was Birmingham, Alabama. It's not in the states that you listed but it's closer than Alaska. I've yet to find a cache in Tennessee but have been to the state several times (before I started geocaching) from Memphis to Nashville to Chattanooga to Knoxville. Although there aren't a *lot* of caches in the area I really enjoyed caching in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and there are plenty of caches a couple of hours away in the Norfolk area. In a little over three weeks from now I'll be heading to Savannah (Tybee Island, actually) for a much needed vacation and am planning a day trip to Charleston, South Carolina.

I hiked the Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness in Tennessee back in my pre-caching days. Always wanted to get back and find some caches, there's a decent variety around there.

I think Virgin Falls is where the Texas group went after GW7. Everyone went on and on about how awesome it was.

Hey everyone,

*Vixxen81*

I asked a similar question several years ago and was looking for a place to go using some frequent flier miles. I wasn't necessarily interested in a place with a "ton" of caches, but one of the places at the top of the list was the Nashville area. One of the others recommendations was Birmingham, Alabama. It's not in the states that you listed but it's closer than Alaska. I've yet to find a cache in Tennessee but have been to the state several times (before I started geocaching) from Memphis to Nashville to Chattanooga to Knoxville. Although there aren't a *lot* of caches in the area I really enjoyed caching in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and there are plenty of caches a couple of hours away in the Norfolk area. In a little over three weeks from now I'll be heading to Savannah (Tybee Island, actually) for a much needed vacation and am planning a day trip to Charleston, South Carolina.

Chattanooga has some interesting ones. The area is awesome, lots to do (non caching things). I've done a lot on the Outer Banks, mostly the southern part. Let me know what you find on Tybee - I rented a cottage but had to postpone going for a while.

If you make it to the Charlotte area, I have a bunch out just west of Charlotte, mostly on a couple of trails they are working on to connect 5 counties - Thread Trail.

Hey everyone,

*Vixxen81*

Chattanooga has some interesting ones. The area is awesome, lots to do (non caching things). I've done a lot on the Outer Banks, mostly the southern part. Let me know what you find on Tybee - I rented a cottage but had to postpone going for a while.

If you make it to the Charlotte area, I have a bunch out just west of Charlotte, mostly on a couple of trails they are working on to connect 5 counties - Thread Trail.

I agree about the Chattanooga area. I spent a weekend camping/kayaking on the Hiwassee river a few years before I started geocaching.

I've been to the Outer Banks many times, staying in places from Corolla to South Nags Head (but have been down to Okracoke). There's a lot of history in the area and enough caches to keep my happy for two week long visits.

There doesn't appear to be a *lot* of caches on Tybee but Savannah is close by and is a great walking town. There seems to be a good mix of traditional, multi's, and puzzles in the area. I won't get anywhere close to Charlotte, but when deciding on a spot of our vacation it was pretty much between Charleston and Savannah/Tybee. We've been to Savannah before but the combination of available airfares, prices on accommodations, and other factors, Savannah/Tybee won. However, Charleston is close enough for a day trip so we'll be able to check out the area (and, of course, do some geocaching) for a possible future vacation.