Multiple Pocket Queries

AF79

Is it possible to load more that one PQ on a gps at a time and somehow switch between different PQs while out in the field? For example, I have a very simple PQ set up for my area for when I go caching with my daughter, but when I go out alone I like more challenging caches so I have a PQ for that. I would like to be able to store both on my GPS at one time and switch between them, is this possible?I have a Garmin dakota 20 and I am on a mac.

Thanks!

Adam

As far as I know....all PQ's are combined together in the unit. We have a Garmin Oregon.

Since PQ's max out at 1000, my husband runs 5 PQ's at once to get the maximum (close to) 5,000 caches in our GPS. Although I'm not exactly sure how/why he does itt his way - but he uses a system of 'dates' (when caches were published) to make sure he has ALL the caches in a XX radious of our house.

After they're all loaded in the GPS, there's no separation between the PQ's. The caches are just ALL in there (close to 5,000) almost like it was ONE HUGE PQ.

Not sure that's what you wanted to know...??

Edited by Lieblweb

Thanks Lieblweb,

I was afraid that is what the answer was. The same thing happens to me when I load multiple PQs in my GPS. It would be nice if there would be a way to load them into folders on the GPS so you could switch between them.

Thanks again.

It would be nice if there would be a way to load them into folders on the GPS

Folders (file management is what they call it) was a feature of the Magellan explorist500 I used for some years. Different PQs in different folders, and I had all my owned geocaches loaded as POI, so they could always display.

I liked it a lot.

I'm not aware of any other gps that offers this.

The Delorme PN-40 and Delorme PN-60 will put different PQs into different files. You just load the one you want at the moment. Only problem is that if you just drag-n-drop the PQs onto the Delorme, the waypoints(parking, entrance, etc...) get loaded into a different file than the geocaches and you can only have one open at a time. The workaround is to either use GSAK to combine the two into one .gpx file, or use the free Cache Register program which will automatically download, combine, and upload to your device, any PQs which are available.

Edit: Are the PQs stored on an SD card on the Dakota 20? If so, you can have different cards with different PQs on them and just switch as needed.

Edited by TomToad
It would be nice if there would be a way to load them into folders on the GPS

Folders (file management is what they call it) was a feature of the Magellan explorist500 I used for some years. Different PQs in different folders, and I had all my owned geocaches loaded as POI, so they could always display.

I liked it a lot.

I'm not aware of any other gps that offers this.

Several Garmin units have file management/folders. Once loaded into the GPS the menu "combines" all the contents of the folders but the cache information itself is still in a separate folder.

Is it possible to load more that one PQ on a gps at a time and somehow switch between different PQs while out in the field? For example, I have a very simple PQ set up for my area for when I go caching with my daughter, but when I go out alone I like more challenging caches so I have a PQ for that. I would like to be able to store both on my GPS at one time and switch between them, is this possible?I have a Garmin dakota 20 and I am on a mac.

Thanks!

Adam

Since you are not likely to 'ditch' your daughter in the middle of a cache run, nor is she likely to suddenly 'show up' while you are out...couldn't you just load the proper PQ for what you are planning to do that day?

AZcachemeister that is the work around I am using now :). Trouble is, I often have very little time to grab a caches, so if the last PQ that I load in my GPS is the one for my daughter and I forget that it is not my normal PQ, I am very limited on what I can find. She is 3 and likes the normal and large size ones because she loves the trading. I on the other had don't can if it is a small or micro and only contains a log. It would just be nice to be able to switch on the fly.

Thanks!

Adam

Since you are not likely to 'ditch' your daughter in the middle of a cache run, nor is she likely to suddenly 'show up' while you are out...couldn't you just load the proper PQ for what you are planning to do that day?

Other option is to re-name the caches...

On PC (Yes, I saw you use a Mac) I use GSAK.

It has the ability to use Smart Names for caches, and a series -or a set of 'easy' caches- can be re-named with ^ or * in front, to make them easier to find.

I use it to select the caches with correct coordinates -Unknown/Puzzles- that I've solved, but still need to look for.

I haven't tried it but couldn't you load files on GPSr like the following

area1.gpx

area2.ggg

area3.ggg

area4.ggg

And then use your smart phone to connect via USB or load memory card to phone nad rename files .

eg rename

area1.gpx --> area1.ggg then

area2.ggg--> area2.gpx

then theoretically it should then allow you manage more than the 2,000 geocaches etc..

I haven't tried it but couldn't you load files on GPSr like the following

area1.gpx

area2.ggg

area3.ggg

area4.ggg

And then use your smart phone to connect via USB or load memory card to phone nad rename files .

eg rename

area1.gpx --> area1.ggg then

area2.ggg--> area2.gpx

then theoretically it should then allow you manage more than the 2,000 geocaches etc..

I've done this in the past. On Android, there are file manager apps that you can use to rename the files without connecting to another system.