Snoopy!

Andromeda321

So I've known about the Alien Head and the Smiley Face, but was in for a bit of a shock when looking at maps today around Lake Winnipesaukee, NH where my family goes in the summer!

1) Search "Welch Island, NH"

2) Zoom back and smile :)

Just wondering if someone who knows more about its placement, looks like pretty much every cache here is well beyond the 2 mile limit. So just wondering how such a thing got approved?

...So just wondering how such a thing got approved?

from the Guidelines for reference:

The posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location.

It does say "should be" and not Must Be, but I imagine there was probably some discussion between the Cache Owner(s) and the Local Reviewer, and the Reviewer used their judgment and decided "no harm, no foul".

Just a guess :)

Cute map layout though.

Right now there are about 150 of the total 173 needed caches placed around the State by various individual cachers. Any cacher who wants to hide a cache to help complete Snoopy’s outline can get the coordinates for an unassigned point in the outline for their cache. This project was started in September 2011 and is now nearing completion.

A big advantage of putting all the fake coordinates in Lake Winnipesaukee is that they are all in one area where there obviously couldn’t be a physical cache and you don’t have the fake coordinates for this series scattered all around the State, plus you wouldn’t have the neat Snoopy drawing on the map if they were scattered. The caches are mainly simple puzzles and letterboxes. Everyone seems to be having a good time placing and/or finding the caches in this series

I have found a large number of the placed caches and have first to finds on about 40 of them. With the mild winter in New Hampshire it is a lot easier to find them this year. It still is somewhat of a challenge to do them all and I plan on finishing them shortly after the last cache is placed. The series has certainly got some cachers out this winter to join in the fun of doing this series.

Edited by rjb43nh

Right now there are about 150 of the total 173 needed caches placed around the State by various individual cachers.

So it looks like these caches are all over NH (I saw one of hte letterboxes was at least 10 miles form the listed coordinates).

Can one assume that the local reviewer is basically "ignoring" the "2 mile guideline" for these caches? Why? If a cacher wants to place a cache near one of the caches, they need to know to go look at this series of caches (which may be clear across the state from where thye are hiding) to find conflicts? And if a person wants to find caches in a given area, they need to look at a series clear across the state to find the listings for caches in a toyally different area?

Sounds like nonsense to me.

I prefer to look at it as accommodating rather than nonsense. Sounds like a person or a group had an idea, and are willing to share in the fun with as much of the community as possible. I'm glad to see Groundspeak and it's Reviewers put community building ahead of a dictatorial interpretation of the Guidelines. Sounds like you might not feel that way. To each their own.

I prefer to look at it as accommodating rather than nonsense. Sounds like a person or a group had an idea, and are willing to share in the fun with as much of the community as possible. I'm glad to see Groundspeak and it's Reviewers put community building ahead of a dictatorial interpretation of the Guidelines. Sounds like you might not feel that way. To each their own.

But with caches now 10, 20, 30 (or more) miles from listed coordinates, I see loads of confusion. All for a cute picture on a map.

Put me down for somewhere in between you two. :laughing:

It is silly, in my opinion, that these caches appear to be all over the State. For most I looked at, the town name is listed only as text on the cache page. There seem to be many (maybe even dozens) of different cache placers. Cute little idea, and nice to see they bent the rules a little, but I probably would lose interest pretty quickly, solving little puzzles looking up information about Dogs. Sorry, but I would. :blink:

There were some letterboxes, and even a couple traditionals in there? Now there, I don't understand how they could bend the rules.

there is a similar map in southern Idaho (just east of Murphy, Idaho) which uses LBHs, unknowns, traditionals, wherigos. I imagine those use the 2 mile limit. The wherigos are all solved by one cartridge.

I think the snoopy image will look cool, but a part of me does think its cheesy that caches could be 20 miles away, if that is true. I mean, for the PEACE puzzles, I think a few chaps had a few small exceptions to the two mile rule, like 2.2 miles in some cases. However, 20 miles seems such like a complete obliteration of the 2 mile rule it makes the guidelines a bit cheap (again, if that is true). And letterboxes I thought had to had at least something at the listed coordinates, however, its not like I have researched it much.

There are 26 letterboxes with fake coordinates so the map could look pretty? :rolleyes:

That's what I see.

My bad, no traditionals, all letterboxes and mysteries. I suppose you can get away with letterboxes having bogus coordinates, if the letterbox hybrids are found in true letterboxing fashion using clues. Forgive me, where I come from, the letterbox hybrid designation is nothing more than an excuse for calling your cache a letterbox hybrid so you get another icon in your hide stats. :ph34r:

there is a similar map in southern Idaho (just east of Murphy, Idaho) which uses LBHs, unknowns, traditionals, wherigos. I imagine those use the 2 mile limit. The wherigos are all solved by one cartridge.

I think the snoopy image will look cool, but a part of me does think its cheesy that caches could be 20 miles away, if that is true. I mean, for the PEACE puzzles, I think a few chaps had a few small exceptions to the two mile rule, like 2.2 miles in some cases. However, 20 miles seems such like a complete obliteration of the 2 mile rule it makes the guidelines a bit cheap (again, if that is true). And letterboxes I thought had to had at least something at the listed coordinates, however, its not like I have researched it much.

~ 18 Miles away

~ 17 miles away

BBWolf+3Pigs -

“~ 18 Miles away

~ 17 miles away”

Here, let me help you with that, you're not even close. 45 miles GC345AJ

BBWolf+3Pigs -

“……..If a cacher wants to place a cache near one of the caches, they need to know to go look at this series of caches (which may be clear across the state from where thye are hiding) to find conflicts? ………..

Sounds like nonsense to me.”

Any area where there is a concentration of puzzle and/or multi caches you stand the chance of having a new cache placement conflicts and the reviewer will let you know the problem, these Snoopy caches aren’t any different in that respect. Anyone who has hidden a few caches knows how to handle this.

There is a series of 18 puzzle caches in Townsend, MA where if you wanted to place a cache, one or more of the existing puzzle cache could be in conflict with your proposed cache. There are concentrations of puzzle caches in Potowomut and Portsmouth, RI that could cause similar problems. :P

Sounds like grousing to me.

BBWolf+3Pigs -

“~ 18 Miles away

~ 17 miles away”

Here, let me help you with that, you're not even close. 45 miles GC345AJ

The ones I listed were two I quickly found. I wasn't going to sift through 200 caches to find hte furthest.

BBWolf+3Pigs -

“……..If a cacher wants to place a cache near one of the caches, they need to know to go look at this series of caches (which may be clear across the state from where thye are hiding) to find conflicts? ………..

Sounds like nonsense to me.”

Any area where there is a concentration of puzzle and/or multi caches you stand the chance of having a new cache placement conflicts and the reviewer will let you know the problem, these Snoopy caches aren’t any different in that respect. Anyone who has hidden a few caches knows how to handle this.

There is a series of 18 puzzle caches in Townsend, MA where if you wanted to place a cache, one or more of the existing puzzle cache could be in conflict with your proposed cache. There are concentrations of puzzle caches in Potowomut and Portsmouth, RI that could cause similar problems. :P

Sounds like grousing to me.

If I am looking to hide a cache, I check the area within ~2 miles of the intended hide location for puzzles and multis. NOT 45 miles away.

And the two areas you list in RI aren't problems for me :).

And I doubt my local reviewer would let me list puzzle coordinates that were 45 miles away (which woud likely put them in another state!).

If a cacher wants to place a cache near one of the caches, they need to know to go look at this series of caches (which may be clear across the state from where thye are hiding) to find conflicts? And if a person wants to find caches in a given area, they need to look at a series clear across the state to find the listings for caches in a toyally different area?

True, but that same situation exists for Multi caches right now anyway. Essentially there are no guarantees that a spot is open regardless of what the map says. You rolls the dice and you takes your chances.

I'm not normally a fan of granting exceptions to the guidelines but this one seems fairly harmless to me.

If I am looking to hide a cache, I check the area within ~2 miles of the intended hide location for puzzles and multis. NOT 45 miles away.

And I doubt my local reviewer would let me list puzzle coordinates that were 45 miles away (which woud likely put them in another state!).

Since this appears to have been done with reviewer approval, I wonder if the reviewer also tells a hider the exact puzzle which is blocking their hide. I'd agree that if the actual hide is 5, 10, 20+ miles from the posted coordinates, how would you narrow down which puzzle is blocking the area, besides doing them all? A reviewer responding with "Mystery cache GCXXXXX's final location is near where you wish to place your cache. You'll need to solve the puzzle to get the final coordinates" would be welcome in this case.

Wow, that's pretty cool. If the cachers know before hand that they will be traveling ouside the normal 2 mile range to find the cache then I really don't see a problem with this. Now these are some puzzles that I can even solve. :laughing:

Have you ever driven 20 miles on a New Hampshire road? We call it New Heaveshire. When I am caching in VT with the bryno, he won't let me drive into NH for caches, because he can't take being a passenger on those roads. So, yeah, there might be a problem.

...So just wondering how such a thing got approved?

from the Guidelines for reference:

The posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location.

It does say "should be" and not Must Be, but I imagine there was probably some discussion between the Cache Owner(s) and the Local Reviewer, and the Reviewer used their judgment and decided "no harm, no foul".

Just a guess :)

Cute map layout though.

Puzzle caches would be a lot tougher without the two mile thing for those that have a knack for getting puzzles without solving the puzzle[you know who you are :anitongue: ]

True, but that same situation exists for Multi caches right now anyway. Essentially there are no guarantees that a spot is open regardless of what the map says. You rolls the dice and you takes your chances.

And I already acknowledged that. But I know to look within a couple of miles of a prospective hide location. NOT 50 plus miles clear across the state.

I like it when people are creative and hide caches to make a picture or symbol. However, I don't think they should be so far away from the posted coordinates. It's great to get the participation of so many but I'd personally prefer them to be closer to the picture. Since I probably won't ever go there to find any of them or hide any caches this case isn't a big deal to me but I hope it doesn't happen near me.

Ha, wasn't expecting to start an argument, I just thought it was interesting! Ah well, so is the nature of the Internet I guess...

Only thing I wouldn't mind as a frequent summer visitor to the area is if the Snoopy would have some sort of way to filter it out of pocket queries. I cache on both sides of this lake (and even on Winnipesaukee's islands by boat) so having a hundred caches in the middle of it that I'm not liable to search for due to distances involved will probably get annoying. <_<

Ha, wasn't expecting to start an argument, I just thought it was interesting! Ah well, so is the nature of the Internet I guess...

Only thing I wouldn't mind as a frequent summer visitor to the area is if the Snoopy would have some sort of way to filter it out of pocket queries. I cache on both sides of this lake (and even on Winnipesaukee's islands by boat) so having a hundred caches in the middle of it that I'm not liable to search for due to distances involved will probably get annoying. <_<

If I visited the area and noticed a few were 40 miles away, I'd probably skip the entire series, rather than to check each cache to see which ones were nearby to find. I can see bending the rules a little bit to allow 5 or 10 miles, but beyond that is just silly. Good grief!

If I visited the area and noticed a few were 40 miles away, I'd probably skip the entire series, rather than to check each cache to see which ones were nearby to find. I can see bending the rules a little bit to allow 5 or 10 miles, but beyond that is just silly. Good grief!

It's to be expected when you want reviewers to work for PEANUTS! :rolleyes:

Doug 7rxc

It's to be expected when you want reviewers to work for PEANUTS! :rolleyes:

Doug 7rxc

I don't want to be a blockhead, but I think they should be less wishy washy.

But I know to look within a couple of miles of a prospective hide location. NOT 50 plus miles clear across the state.
Of course, there's no limit to the distance a multi-cache can cover. So even if every mystery/puzzle cache were within 2 miles of its posted coordinates, there would still be multi-caches further than 2 miles from their posted coordinates.

Obligatory geocache map art: Venona's V in the SF Bay (which isn't nearly as impressive as the Snoopy image, but which has been a lot of fun)

But I know to look within a couple of miles of a prospective hide location. NOT 50 plus miles clear across the state.
Of course, there's no limit to the distance a multi-cache can cover. So even if every mystery/puzzle cache were within 2 miles of its posted coordinates, there would still be multi-caches further than 2 miles from their posted coordinates.

This is true, but it does not happen very often, much less often than nearby Mysteries.

Guess I was away from the Forums the first time this thread came up.

A local cacher, Team Skywalker put together a bookmark for the series that lists the towns that the finals are in, making that task of seeing which ones are near easier.

I found my first caches in this series on Saturday during an event put together to celebrate the series, now all but complete*. They were the first four out of the Hundred-and-Something caches to be placed within the 2 mile radius of their posted coordinates. There are four others that, according to the bookmark, are within towns surrounding The Lake. The rest of the caches are on my Ignore List.

Putting them on my Ignore List might sound a bit harsh, but I live within 15 miles of the posted coordinates. 150+ caches within my home region that aren't actually there really takes a huge chunk of my "From Home" Pocket Query, and there is no other way to filter them out, short of driving all over all of creation to find them. If I'm going to be caching in another area, I can check the bookmark list to see if there are any SD caches in that area and solve them then.

*The series is now all but complete. There are a few spots left in the picture, but Groundspeak has told our local reviewer that there are to be no more caches posted outside the usual 2 mile radius, so barring any caches placed by boat or SCUBA, some of those holes will remain just that. Holes.

On the one hand, it's a little sad, on the other, after receiving 150+ instant notifications for caches that are actually outside my notification area, I'm relieved that it is over. If I wanted notifications on caches that were 50+ miles away, I'd have set my notifications up that way.

Edited by Too Tall John

*The series is now all but complete. There are a few spots left in the picture, but Groundspeak has told our local reviewer that there are to be no more caches posted outside the usual 2 mile radius, so barring any caches placed by boat or SCUBA, some of those holes will remain just that. Holes.

Yay!

Dang. So many places to go, so little time and resources.

Love it!

You love that Groundspeak said no more caches on the map that aren't within the two mile radius given in the guidelines, or you love the idea of the Snoopy series? :P

I'm on board with Groundspeak's decision. I would never go so far to say "rogue reveiwer", or anything like that, but it sounds like a decision a local reveiwer made that didn't fly with HQ.

I'm on board with Groundspeak's decision. I would never go so far to say "rogue reveiwer", or anything like that, but it sounds like a decision a local reveiwer made that didn't fly with HQ.
The reviewer, NHPride, is a nice guy who was helping out a fellow cacher get her idea published. While the originator of the series (and Event Host) was making announcements and doing a drawing, someone in the crowd shouted out something about burning the reviewer in effigy for stopping the series. Despite the fact that the comment was made in jest, NHPride took two or three steps back from the crowd. I would NOT want to be in his shoes, he's getting it from both sides, I'm sure.

During the event, I did slip him one of my Get out of Hell Free cards I ordered for my upcoming Tract Cache... :ph34r:

The reviewer, NHPride, is a nice guy who was helping out a fellow cacher get her idea published. While the originator of the series (and Event Host) was making announcements and doing a drawing, someone in the crowd shouted out something about burning the reviewer in effigy for stopping the series. Despite the fact that the comment was made in jest, NHPride took two or three steps back from the crowd. I would NOT want to be in his shoes, he's getting it from both sides, I'm sure.

During the event, I did slip him one of my Get out of Hell Free cards I ordered for my upcoming Tract Cache... :ph34r:

Never thought of that one, getting it from both sides!! Ouch. :)

I had a lot of fun with the series... :P :P :P

THB

Someone was asking me if I was planning on placing any 1/5 puzzles anytime soon. Perhaps I'll have to go fill one of the holes with a final on one of the islands... :ph34r:

As a gal who goes to Winnipesaukee each summer, please do so! My family and I love the "by boat" caches on the lake (one of the few times they'll come along with me!), and they've been some of my favorite caching adventures. :)

Annoying to hear that there's no better way to get rid of the caches than an ignore list though- much as I'd love to live in New Hampshire and spend time tackling it I'm not going to spend my 10 days/year there doing it.

Annoying to hear that there's no better way to get rid of the caches than an ignore list though- much as I'd love to live in New Hampshire and spend time tackling it I'm not going to spend my 10 days/year there doing it.
When I realized that the Ignore List was my only way to get my PQ back, I had already waited too long and there were about 160 caches I needed to add. I thought it'd take me a couple nights work, but using the Bookmark, it only took an episode or two of Mythbusters to complete the task.