Comments on the NewForums

southdeltan

I am sure that there are going to be people who like the change and people who don't. I think we should all be patient while they work out a few things that are obviously bugs. Problems should b eexpected in any change.

There is also this thread on the general forum, and it duscusses a lot of the issues, including complaints and compliments.

I personaly don't find the skin/theme (the appearance) of the forum to be that different. I have mixed feelings about the popup window - it has nice features but I normally prefer to stay in one window.

Apparant bugs:

1. The order of posts was reversed. This seems to have been fixed on some boards.

2. Some of the more recent threads and posts are missing.

3. Posting count is off for most (all?) posters.

4. The profile link now shows the board profile, not the geocaching.com profile (with finds/hides)

5. Links (markwelled) to other posts are broken.

I'm posting this so the site Admin know, not to complain. Some things they intended to do, some things they did not intend to do. Lets give them time to work it all out.Elias said he likely broke something. Hrm, wait - I need to email this to him...doh!

SouthDeltan

quote:
Originally posted by South Deltan:

4. The profile link now shows the board profile, not the geocaching.com profile (with finds/hides)

This is the "One" thing that I used to use alot everything else I like! icon_smile.gif

I'm actually not sure if that one is a 'bug' or a 'feature'. The admin may have decided to change that.

I've seen a lot of complaints about it. I don't like that change either.

I think it should either show the profile from www.geocaching.com OR the board profile should show finds/hides/benchmarks.

I'm sure if it was unintentional it'll be fixed shortly. If not we'll just have another thing to complain about, rofl.

SouthDeltan

But I just noticed the NE regional forums just lost the last years worth of posts. They were there earlier today.

[EDIT] ok, they are back again now.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Here's a bug (I guess). When creating or replying to a post in the pop up window, if I try to use the URL feature, when I go to paste the URL into the box using a right mouse click, the window goes away and you can't paste. CNTL V works however.

Also, when I click on the Quote box, it also asks me if I want to italicize the text.

BTW I'm using NS 7.0...haven't tried this with IE, so I don't know if the problem is specific to Netscape.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Another noted bug. . .

I noted when the new forums were up that I needed to reset my notification (mypop) preferences. No big deal. I tend to have everything come to me in a daily email digest, but I am now getting two reports. One seems to be apparently from the old forums, and shows no posts. The other is just as it has always been. No big deal, I just delete the bad one and read away, but I wondered if it was just extra work that the servers were doing.

All in all I don't find the changes frustrating or bothersome, and have to simply say thanks again for all your hard work.

I clicked on the minus sign to condense a forum category. Then I entered one of the other forums and came back to the main list but the category that I had condensed is now open again. Shouldn't the category remain condensed until I choose to expand it again?

I'm also wondering what the "Quick Reply" window is for... seems rather redundant.

-----

Not sure where you're looking

quote:
PDOP's wrote

Anybody else notice that the forum moderators are no longer listed?

Oops, I spoke out and mistakenly brought up a past forum topic regarding admins that really doesn't directly apply to this discussion about moderators. I have edited out the refence to that post.

-----

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on March 30, 2003 at 10:04 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Oops, I spoke out and mistakenly brought up a past forum topic regarding admins that really doesn't directly apply to this discussion about moderators. I have edited out the refence to that post.

As have I. No problem, Jo.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

[This message was edited by Mopar on March 30, 2003 at 10:19 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by DenaliNW:

Another noted bug. . .

I tend to have everything come to me in a daily email digest, but I am now getting two reports. One seems to be apparently from the old forums, and shows no posts.

I'm having the same problem only I didn't reset my notifications yet for the new board. I'm only getting an empty digest from the old forum.

There is NO WAY to get the thing stopped that I can see as the link in email to stop the notification brings me to the new board. On the new board I have no notifications set.

Love your site but I'm not particularly interested in receiveing a blank email digest everyday for the rest of my life as a reminder of topics past I was formerly interested in. icon_eek.gif

I am getting email digests that seem to be black text on a black blackground ... anyone else? I do get html emails from other sources and they come through properly.

I am using Mac OS X.2.4, and Internet Explorer 5.2

-----

You must be present to win.

Originally posted by leatherman:

_I can't use IE spell check in the new pop-up window

Now it's back to the Spelling Zealots discounting and picking on posters because they misspelled something.

Please, what's IE spell check? Also copy and paste don't work here for me.

Thanks, Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

I clicked on the minus sign to condense a forum category. Then I entered one of the other forums and came back to the main list but the category that I had condensed is now open again. Shouldn't the category remain condensed until I choose to expand it again?

Once you have the page the way you'd like it, click the "Tools" and then "Save Page Preferences". It's not a dynamic thing, it's a default thing.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by DenaliNW:

I noted when the new forums were up that I needed to reset my notification (mypop) preferences. No big deal. I tend to have everything come to me in a daily email digest, but I am now getting two reports. One seems to be apparently from the old forums, and shows no posts.

Yes, this will be fixed in the next day or two. Sorry about the duplicate digests.

frog.gif Elias

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_I can't use IE spell check in the new pop-up window

Right-click in the text area, and choose the check spelling option in the pop-up menue.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Testing the spell check feature!

Too cool thanks!

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

minus sign to compress forums

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Once you have the page the way you'd like it, click the "Tools" and then "Save Page Preferences". It's not a dynamic thing, it's a default thing.

This is not working for me (again, Mac OS X and IE 5). I can compress and decompress using the minus and plus but I cannot get anything to happen when I click on "Save Page Preferences" - I guess the javascript isn't, uh, "taking."

Can someone else who uses a Mac let me know what they are finding with this feature? Maybe it's just me.

-----

You must be present to win.

quote:
Originally posted by South Deltan:

Elias, any idea if the "post number" of forum members will be corrected?

I won't be able to correct this. Because of the large number of messages, I had to import them in batches, and I think that the post counts only reflect the number of messages you posted in that first batch. I don't think posts from subsequent batches were added to the totals. I don't think there's any reasonable way to have the post numbers recalculated.

frog.gif Elias

Miss Jenn, I'd suggest you go to Netscape 7. The java implementation on IE 5 is HORRIBLE! I'm on OS X with Netscrape 7 and I'm only having a few small problems with the forums. How is this better than the old ones again? icon_wink.gif Just giving you a ribbing Elias. icon_smile.gif