Cache virgin concerned about safety

Muppet Rat

Hi all,

I started getting curious about all this, but my OH has scared the bejeezus out of me with horror stories. Apparently, sometimes people set up caches with the intent of robbing the finders. One person in America said "It's ok for us as my husband brings a gun"!!!! :o I haven't really had a propper look around the site, but is their any way I could ensure safety? This seems like something I'd like to get into, but I'm not really wanting to set myself up for a mugging :P

Happy New Year BTW :D

Hi all,

I started getting curious about all this, but my OH has scared the bejeezus out of me with horror stories. Apparently, sometimes people set up caches with the intent of robbing the finders. One person in America said "It's ok for us as my husband brings a gun"!!!! :o I haven't really had a propper look around the site, but is their any way I could ensure safety? This seems like something I'd like to get into, but I'm not really wanting to set myself up for a mugging :P

Happy New Year...

Apparently some people set up scans on dating sites, some people set up accident insurance scams, some people wait to jump from dark alleys, and on and on and on...

Geocaching is no more dangerous in that respect than taking a city bus, or walking through a park.

According to the opening page on the Geocaching.com website, it reports that "There are 1,608,149 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide." (A direct copy from that page, just now)

Does that really sound any more dangerous than going to the market?

A person is as safe as they make themselves in any activity. The key is to be be aware of your surroundings.

Legality aside, a gun is not the first answer to a perceived problem. The first answer is awareness.

You (or your OH) can let paranoia rule, or you can rule it. It's your choice in whatever you do.

BTW, don't go to the mailbox. Just sayin'....

I predict mucho discussion forthcoming...

EDIT = my inevitable typo

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I am an independent woman used to doing things on my own. With only six months of geocaching and 350 finds and more DNFS I have seriously felt unsafe twice.

1) wandering 5 feet from city limits in hunting season didn't concern me. The rifle shot followed by a shot deer running within touching distance did. :ph34r:

2) in downtown Great Falls with my daughter and it got dark FAST and there was some unsavory scum around. That scared both of us.

I was aware in situation #2 to make a hasty retreat.

In situation #2 I turned my iPod volume full blast and started blowing whistle.

Be aware, be prepared, don't cache along if you are afraid. :grin:

I think... :unsure:

In order for someone to place a cache with the intent to lure people into an isolated place to rob them, that person would have to know exactly when the cache would be published so they could be lying in wait for the FTF rush, and then be willing to camp out at the spot all hours of the day and night (mostly in the rain up here) hoping that a cacher without a dog or a big hiking stick would come along.

I've always believed that ne'er-do-wells take the easiest route to commit their crimes. If you want to rob someone, wait in the shadows of a parking lot... (oh, wait... those darned LPCs! :blink: )

Edited by 6NoisyHikers

Hi all,

Sounds like you OH is trying to scare you from an activity that he isn't interested in. I have been caching since 2003 and have never heard of anyone being "set up" by a cache. I've heard of injury at a high terrain cache, marital problems because of differing degrees of interest, even someone making a fool of themselves to log a cache. But never someone setting up a cache to rob the finder. Of course all the things I have seen tied to caching I have seen without caching involved as well.

Like any activity there are risk and rewards associated with this one. But you will find that with an awareness of your surroundings you will be no more or no less exposed to being robbed than you are in your daily trips to the store or place of employment.

I have a CCW and normally carry where it's allowed, whether it's geocaching or going to the store. Never have I had to draw on anyone/anything. You're only as safe as the situations you put yourself in. If the little person inside you tells you not go go somewhere or do something, succumb to the little voice. :)

Every cache has a list for number of times found on the listing. Right before the log there is a smiley face withe a number, that's the number of finds on that cache.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I understand what you're all saying - it's unlikely, and awareness is needed etc. What I'm looking for is some sort of rating or system. Something saying a cache has been found X amount of times and is OK. Does this exist and is part of this site?

Thanks for the replies folks.

I understand what you're all saying - it's unlikely, and awareness is needed etc. What I'm looking for is some sort of rating or system. Something saying a cache has been found X amount of times and is OK. Does this exist and is part of this site?

Ratings are included on each cache page on a cache-by-cache basis.

Difficulty (D) ratings = 1-star very easily found, graduated upwards by half-star increments. 5-star the most difficult to find.

Terrain (T) ratings = 1-star being supposedly wheelchair accessible, upwards (again) by half-star increments. 5-star requires a long hike, special equipment or the like to simply get to the cache.

Favorite(s) ratings [blue box containing a number] are votes cast by other cachers regarding the likability, uniqueness, or other "special" qualities of the cache/hide.

As far as how many times it has been found, scrolling to mid-page (just prior to the long(ish) list of logs) is a number of icons accompanied by numbers. Yellow smiley faces indicate number of times logged as "found". You can hover your cusor over the others to see exactly what each icon represents.

We're here to help. More questions? Ask away! :)

EDIT: more typo corrections. :mad:

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

As far as how many times it has been found, scrolling to mid-page (just prior to the long(ish) list of logs) is a number of icons accompanied by numbers. Yellow smiley faces indicate number of times logged as "found".

I seeeee B) That's just what I'm after ;) Great, thank you guys. I've told my kids about this, and they're raring to go :lol: unfortunately, the couple we want requires getting a bus, and there's no service today :rolleyes: Tomorrow, we will venture forth..... :ninja:

Slightly, OT, I've just downloaded an app for my Blackberry, and guess what - the bloody stoopid phone doesn't have GPS :mad: Do I really need it, or will I be OK for a bit?

Just go for it.

When you go to a cache page, there is all sorts of information. Look at what other people posted. Is the area sketchy? Are there creepy people about? Lots of weird trash? How many people (if any) had some sort of negative encounter with someone meaning them harm? You can also check for a google map of the cache and see if it's in that "bad" part of town.

Honestly, I think the vast majority of people using this site are good, decent people. They hide caches so others can find them. They have no intention of people getting hurt.

If it makes you feel better, you can have some pepper spray. You don't need a permit and some people think it's good to have anyways.

There's going to be an urban legend horror story to just about everything. Taco Bell, panty hose, wigs, sewers. Grain of salt and proper precautions.

Good Luck! :D

Awareness of your surroundings is key. If you're heading for a cache and feel like the neighborhood is looking a little sketchy, or there are some unsavory looking characters hanging around, or if for any reason your gut instinct tells you something just doesn't look safe, there's no rule that says you must continue. No dishonor in it either. Just give it a miss and move on to the next one.

Same goes for caches out in the wilderness with high terrain ratings...even though there's no "human" danger, if the terrain is beyond your skills or abilities and seems dangerous, you can always back out.

But realistically, I've never heard of any actual situations like you've described. Have cachers been mugged due to being in a bad neighborhood seeking a cache? Perhaps, but people get mugged going to the mall, the movies, wherever, all the time. But hiding a cache just for the purpose of ambushing a cache seeker? Highly unlikely. Your average street criminal Is an uneducated thug looking for targets of opportunity. He's not going to put in that much thought, effort, and planning, not to mention waiting patiently at the cache site for someone to show up. for a simple mugging.

If anyone in the Geocaching community knows of an actual case where this has happened, please feel free to correct me. But I highly doubt it.

Edited by Chief301

In 10 years of caching and participating in the forums I have never heard of someone placing a cache for criminal purposes i.e. to lure people in order to mug or hurt someone.

Me neither. It's a lot of trouble to go to to mug someone. There would be a lot of waiting around and not knowing when someone weaker than them will turn up. (Don't tell a CO you don't know when you are planning to visit a specific cache.) I do know of a few LEOs who geocache and if anyone were stupid enough to try it, it would be easy enough to get the full force of the law falling on them from a great height. Not to mention, as the OP hinted at, there are geocachers who carry weapons, and those who are well trained in self defence of various kinds, the muggers could end up being seriously hurt themselves out of someone over enthusiastically defending themselves.

In 10 years of caching and participating in the forums I have never heard of someone placing a cache for criminal purposes.

Besides, what would they get? A beat up GPS, a flashlight, a pencil, and some kid's toys. Not the most lucrative scam in town. :)

In 10 years of caching and participating in the forums I have never heard of someone placing a cache for criminal purposes.

Besides, what would they get? A beat up GPS, a flashlight, a pencil, and some kid's toys. Not the most lucrative scam in town. :)

Well, criminals ain't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Like I said, they just keep their eyes open for targets of opportunity. They see a chance to steal something worth five bucks, they'll steal it. It never ceases to amaze me the chances they'll take of getting caught, shot, beat up, fired, or arrested for the most insignificant, petty items. There's really something wrong with these people. They'll steal anything, even if it's basically worthless, just because it's there. Not a lot of advanced thought processes going on there, just an instinctive desire to steal.

Which is why I still maintain that to go through the effort of logging on to GC.com, create an account, create a cache listing, submit it for publication, and then go out and sit at the cache site for who knows how many hours or days at a time till someone comes along would just be WAY too much work for these knuckleheads.

The only criminal thing I've heard about with caching lately is people registering, then going out to steal the ammo cans. My intention with my next caches are to place some WAY back in the woods and list as "an ammo can or ammo can sized object", so the thieves will have to walk a good distance to find out.

I'm sure some people may have been mugged or vandalized, but doubtfully by a cache hider. I once picked up an under-park-bench micro. The park was quite unsavory, and I think I could have bought some crack if I wanted some. I have to ask myself, WTF are the cache hiders thinking? I got out of there as a couple of dealers were sauntering my way.

I do carry a weapon caching, whether it's my ASP baton (really for poking under logs, hollow trees, etc.), or my Gerber knife. I'm going backpacking this spring, and plan on taking a ka-bar kukri machete'. Enough to scare some scalawag if need be.

There are dangers in anything we do. I wouldn't worry so much about being set up by a cache hider. Way too much work when so many stupid people leave purses in cars, unattended in shopping carts, etc. But if you go into an area (whether caching, or just using an unfamiliar ATM), look at your surroundings. Are people watching you in cars at the edge of the lot? Is someone hanging out by a pay phone looking more concerned with you than the phone? Are you watching what's going on around you, or are you disconnected, playing on the phone, texting, or rummaging through your purse/wallet? If something feels wrong, maybe choose another time to grab the hide. In bigger cities it's popular enough there's probably another cache two blocks away, maybe more brightly lit, in a popular lot, or close to a busy highway.

As far as how many times it has been found, scrolling to mid-page (just prior to the long(ish) list of logs) is a number of icons accompanied by numbers. Yellow smiley faces indicate number of times logged as "found".

I seeeee B) That's just what I'm after ;) Great, thank you guys. I've told my kids about this, and they're raring to go :lol: unfortunately, the couple we want requires getting a bus, and there's no service today :rolleyes: Tomorrow, we will venture forth..... :ninja:

Slightly, OT, I've just downloaded an app for my Blackberry, and guess what - the bloody stoopid phone doesn't have GPS :mad: Do I really need it, or will I be OK for a bit?

good luck on your first find and have fun

I have a CCW and normally carry where it's allowed, whether it's geocaching or going to the store. Never have I had to draw on anyone/anything. You're only as safe as the situations you put yourself in. If the little person inside you tells you not go go somewhere or do something, succumb to the little voice. :)

You can also look at a cache listing and read past logs to get a sense of what kind of experiences were had by previous finders. A few years ago I went to Johannesburg, SA for a couple of days so I looked over the cache listings prior to leaving the U.S. for several caches near my hotel. For one cache, previous logs mentioned a mugging and a car jacking while looking for the cache. I avoided that one.