Do the reviewers use common sense

geekyninja

Same here, both on comments I have passed... and on the receiving end when there has been a query on a cache or two of ours (Always on the QT and polite).. sometimes all you notice is a reviewers name popping up on the log of those viewing a cache. :rolleyes:

I would just like to take a moment to publicly appologise to Red Duster, for the views i have shared about the methods of reviewing. I know some my caches have been out of his control and more than likey they would be approved if it was not for the SSSI issues. I also like to applogise for the attitute taken towards my local follwers of my caches in disabling them due to views shared by non local cachers.

I say one thing about the views that stuff should be reported to the reviewers when stuff is not right about a cache. Any one remember that kids televsion show called Recesse. Mainly when randle the playground snitch would go to miss finster. the like "miss finster miss finster thoses kids are kicking the football." reading some your posts no offense but it would sound like this "Red Duster, Red Duster this cache is placed 2mm outside of the approved area.

I would just like to take a moment to publicly appologise to Red Duster, for the views i have shared about the methods of reviewing. I know some my caches have been out of his control and more than likey they would be approved if it was not for the SSSI issues. I also like to applogise for the attitute taken towards my local follwers of my caches in disabling them due to views shared by non local cachers.

I say one thing about the views that stuff should be reported to the reviewers when stuff is not right about a cache. Any one remember that kids televsion show called Recesse. Mainly when randle the playground snitch would go to miss finster. the like "miss finster miss finster thoses kids are kicking the football." reading some your posts no offense but it would sound like this "Red Duster, Red Duster this cache is placed 2mm outside of the approved area.

:wacko:

Thanks GeekyNinja, I'm sure that was not easy and shows great character!

Thanks GeekyNinja, I'm sure that was not easy and shows great character!

That's not quite how I would describe the rest of his post (quoted below). <_<

I've reported two caches. One was attached magnetically to a gravestone, and didn't have the permission of the relatives of the deceased or of the vicar. The other was in the middle of a field of crops, a long way from the footpath, and the only way to get to it would mean trampling the crops.

There's no way that reviewers can know that this has happened, unless someone tells them. So I email the cache owners. If that doesn't work, I tell the reviewers.

It's important to all of us that people don't think that geocaching is vandalism. And so it's important to deal with caches that shouldn't be where they are.

This is impossible for reviewers to police though.

Not impossible at all... We have super powers :smile:

We are supposed to help reviewers improve the game by reporting anomalies and I may or may not have done so in the past but I don't bother these days because nothing gets done about it anyway... :unsure:

I have not found this to be the case

Neither have I, I've only had cause to contact a reviewer directly a couple of times and both times they were on the case within a day or two. Certainly they were at least as fast as I reckon I'd have been, were I a reviewer.

That's good to read!

It seems a lot of people here have had bad experiences when trying to contact a cache owner directly. I've only had a couple of times when I've made contact directly to express concern about a cache and my experience has been positive. But I'm sure it doesn't take very many angry replies from cache owners before people soon figure they would rather go directly to the reviewers.

There's a big difference between "this cache is a few inches outside the approved area" and "this cache is in the middle of a cornfield and accessing it will trample someone's crops", or "this area is plagued with drug users who leave used needles behind" or even "this area has been fenced off and is no longer accessible".

The trouble is if people start to get the impression that geocaching is inextricably linked with environmental vandalism - trampled crops, trampled flowerbeds, broken fences, drystone walls torn apart etc - we'll find more and more landowners deciding they don't want us playing our game on their land. So before long the only options remaining will be magnetic film pots on the back of signs in town.

This is impossible for reviewers to police though.

Not impossible at all... We have super powers :smile:

We are supposed to help reviewers improve the game by reporting anomalies and I may or may not have done so in the past but I don't bother these days because nothing gets done about it anyway... :unsure:

I understand Delta68's comments, I have tended to report issues, in the past. But it felt at one stage a while back I wasreviewing the reviewers due to new caches, most of which were due to issues on the cache page, including things such as: hidden in a black plastic bag, behind the gravestone of xxx, remove the odd stone (in a drystone wall.) A couple of traditionals which were obviously virtuals. Another opposite a school gateway. So I have stepped back and tend to let someone else report them now if they know any better :( as it just seems to much aggro.

Just seen one go through yesterday which obviously has an error on the coords as the cache mentions a museum and standing in the street to get it, the coordinates put it in the middle of a nowhere without even a footpath.

To make it clear I have the upmost respect for the reviewers and errors will happen, but I feel its not down to me to review their work?

I understand Delta68's comments, I have tended to report issues, in the past. But it felt at one stage a while back I wasreviewing the reviewers due to new caches, most of which were due to issues on the cache page, including things such as: hidden in a black plastic bag, behind the gravestone of xxx, remove the odd stone (in a drystone wall.) A couple of traditionals which were obviously virtuals. Another opposite a school gateway. So I have stepped back and tend to let someone else report them now if they know any better :( as it just seems to much aggro.

Just seen one go through yesterday which obviously has an error on the coords as the cache mentions a museum and standing in the street to get it, the coordinates put it in the middle of a nowhere without even a footpath.

To make it clear I have the upmost respect for the reviewers and errors will happen, but I feel its not down to me to review their work?

113.gif

Mark

113.gif

Mark

I have also now decided to stop posting NA logs. It ruffles too many feathers in too many quarters.

When something is wrong with one my caches i try and get people to contact me directly via my email listed on my profile as that way it goes to my phone. the geocaching emails get put in to different folders which i dont check on my phone. also some times people send a photo of why its faulty. one the best photos i ever had was where one my caches had been caught by the grass cutter.

Let's find that dummy you just spat and then talk calmly :rolleyes:

Have you actually tried talking to your local reviewers via email, coming in here and slagging of a reviewer is NEVER a good idea :mad: you will get shot down every time...

I have had many disagreements with my local and not so local reviewers (and boy do they know it) but I don't come in here and slag them off, I email and even phone them to get my point across.

I pushed my luck only last year trying to put a cache on the very edge of a Nature Reserve of course the cache was refused and I did not argue basically because I knew I was wrong, but then I placed a cache in a local riverside park less than a mile from home and I was told it showed up on the Magic Maps as Nature Resrve again, this is a place we walk Jess regularly and I have had several events there and even more caches placed in the area, so I knew there had to be a mistake, I got all the info I could to prove my case even contacting the local ranger who luckily is a Geocacher too and comes along to our monthly meets and eventually after cool calm rational chatting the cache was published :)

In short my "local" reviewer lives 90 mile from me he does not know the area I live in well he can only make his decision based on the map in front of him, if you think your reviewer is wrong them let them know explaining why, but being nice goes a long way B)

The maps are not perfect the reviewers are not perfect and yes they do make mistakes but if you talk to them they will try their very best to sort any problems out with you.

On the note you are getting bad write ups on your caches ... you will never please all of the people all of the time, but in the same breath if I was getting lots of write ups saying my caches were naff I would seriously be thinking about where to place the next one, a burger van in a car park does not appeal to me in all honesty!! Caching is about taking people to places they would not normally visit in my opinion either an interesting place or a nice view...

There are a lot of "well established" cachers that have given you advice on this thread, maybe it is time to bite your tongue and listen, you learn a lot that way...

a burger van in a car park does not appeal to me in all honesty!!

Appeals to me. Indeed, I could envisage a series, "Burger van micros".

It's a shame additional logging requirements aren't allowed any more or we could have a commentary on the quality of the offerings from each of them. Could be a handy reference library to compile.

It's a shame additional logging requirements aren't allowed any more or we could have a commentary on the quality of the offerings from each of them. Could be a handy reference library to compile.

The poor Dr would be about 27 stone before long, and have to trade in the bike for a mobility scooter!

The poor Dr would be about 27 stone before long, and have to trade in the bike for a mobility scooter!

The only difference between my bike and a mobility scooter, is that the bike is cooler.

I'd expect the cache owner to give an opinion on the quality of the offerings on the cache page. It's a bit like the church micros, or the "At Your Convenience" series.

The only difference between my bike and a mobility scooter, is that the bike is cooler.

I'd expect the cache owner to give an opinion on the quality of the offerings on the cache page. It's a bit like the church micros, or the "At Your Convenience" series.

Opinions of the quality of the offerings for the "at your convenience" series could be interesting. I can imagine the ladies room described in exquisite detail while the mens room would probably be described in simple terms like "it's a pot, aim and fire"