[FEATURE] Favorites per Cache Owner

BigFurryMonster

Project Geocaching > Top Hiders > Favorite Points Received

Project Geocaching doesn't list percentage. I would prefer a percentage total.

In my area the top 5 finders:

#1 1149 favs; 355 hides

#2 1085 favs; 287 hides

#3 714 favs; 383 hides

#4 640 favs; 346 hides

#5 621 favs; 53 hides

#1 and #5 plant creative, clever, well-crafted; accessible; make-you-smile types of caches.

#2 plants a lot of high D high T caches; a lot of puzzle caches; a lot of challenge caches.

#3 on the list planted a huge roadside PT and got a ton of favorite votes.

#4 got his favs on earth caches; puzzle caches; multis; high D and/or high T caches.

Edited by L0ne R

good idea but it should include ave % per cache also or instead of the simple count

Agreed. If a cache owner happens to live in a very cache dense area where there a lot of other geocacher, all they need to do is play a cache a cut above some of the other caches the area and they're going to get a bunch of favorites. Most finds on caches are found by other geocachers in the area, and if the other cachers in the area live in a place there are a lot of geocachers, they're going to accumulate a lot of favorite point to give. On the other hand, a cache owner that lives in a place with few caches and a small number of other geocacher they're just not going to get very many favorite points. A global list of cache owners ordered by the number of favorites would heavily favor those that happened to live in cache rich areas and wouldn't wouldn't necessarily be a measure of cache owners that placed quality caches.

good idea but it should include ave % per cache also or instead of the simple count

Agreed. If a cache owner happens to live in a very cache dense area where there a lot of other geocacher, all they need to do is play a cache a cut above some of the other caches the area and they're going to get a bunch of favorites. Most finds on caches are found by other geocachers in the area, and if the other cachers in the area live in a place there are a lot of geocachers, they're going to accumulate a lot of favorite point to give. On the other hand, a cache owner that lives in a place with few caches and a small number of other geocacher they're just not going to get very many favorite points. A global list of cache owners ordered by the number of favorites would heavily favor those that happened to live in cache rich areas and wouldn't wouldn't necessarily be a measure of cache owners that placed quality caches.

I agree.

"Favorites by cache owner" stats also wouldn't account for hides that were placed well before the idea of favorites came about.

Many don't go back and place favorites on hides they've found maybe years earlier (though I've given favorites for now archived hides).

The OP says he'd like this (kinda self-serving) feature to, "stimulate cache owners to create even better caches" when in fact, the power trail owner would, by sheer numbers, be at the top of any "list".

- And many know how well-made those containers are...

I'd hate to think a CO could be judged - and you know they will... simply by how many "favorites" he has on his hides.

Feature request:

Create a page where you can see the number of Favorite points a cache owner has accumulated across his caches. Possibly selectable per country or province.

This will stimulate cache owners to create even better caches.

Doubtful.

Unless someone bases a challenge cache on such a statistic.

Or someone creates a souvenir based on this.

Or someone creates a badge or ribbon or trophy (or whatever) based on this.

I would guess that less than 40% of Geocachers give a flying reptile about the favorites on their caches.

You're so vain, I bet you think these favorites are about you.

EDITED for speeling.

Edited by AZcachemeister