Black Friday 2011 GPSr deals

slukster

Clayshooter set the ball rolling this year for the Black Friday GPSr deals when he posted about the Oregon 450 being offered for $250 at Cabela's

i_Cabelas_2011_Garmin-Oregon-450-GPS_1320736279.jpg

For those looking for a starter GPS Cabela's will also have the Etrex H for $59.99

04315902-c62c-496e-9134-2b5f34744642.jpg?rnd=0.02371722

Bass pro shops will be offering two Etrex deals: Vista HCX Topo + case bundle for $159.99 although it isn't much of a deal considering you can buy it there now for $169.99

a1aaf44f-ca69-44a6-a2c5-4f42c92196f7.jpg?rnd=0.2073023

Etrex Venture HC Topo bundle for $99.99

42aed080-8b3d-4d92-acc6-f80963b04087.jpg?rnd=0.7217523

Please post any other deals you find!

Bass Pro is offering $20 off any purchase of $100 or more through Dec. 14th which means it should be able to be applied to the Black Friday deals if you order online. Currently the Garmin Oregon 450 is on sale for $279.99 so that would bring it to $259.99 in case you miss the $250 deal at Cabela's.

ed0543b8-a108-4062-a206-52e9137caf77.jpg?rnd=0.007523596

Edited by slukster

I just saw that Gander Mountain will have the Garmin 62s for $249. Also, they have the Delorme PN-60 for $199. Now have to decide if I should get the 62s, Oregon 450 or Delorme PN-60???? Will be using for hiking and fishing.

Edited by DBV2
I just saw that Gander Mountain will have the Garmin 62s for $249. Also, they have the Delorme PN-60 for $199. Now have to decide if I should get the 62s, Oregon 450 or Delorme PN-60???? Will be using for hiking and fishing.

Do you have experience with either brand? I find that many people (myself included) are unwilling to switch once they're used to one style of interface.

Most people seem to find the touch screen of the Oregon 450 easiest to use for someone without any prior experience. Not that the others are hard to figure out, but sometimes it takes a little trial and error experimenting to see what button does what. The disadvantage of the touch screen is that it is a lot dimmer than the other two units. It does show much more detail, however.

Edited by Chrysalides

Chrysalides, I agree. I have tried the Oregons and the dakota. I did not like the touchscreen. The 62s was nice but I kept going back to the PN-40 and 60. I like the buttons better. I and now using a Etrex 30 and it is a learning curve for the button layout. It is getting better and I really like the size and accuracy of it. The reason I am saying the PN-60 is that you have the maps with it and you do not have to dowload or buy anything. It is a lot easier to use than it used to be. No matter what everyone who wants a new unit should look at them and play around with them to see if it is for you.

Thanks

The reason I am saying the PN-60 is that you have the maps with it and you do not have to dowload or buy anything.

I've heard a number of people mention that as one of the advantages of getting a DeLorme unit. What resolution are these maps (100K or 24K), what areas do they cover and how frequently updated are they?

Thanks!

100K the USA, Canada and Mexico. The US are good, I am not sure about the rest. I am not really sure how often they are updated. But there are some intersections in Manitowoc that have changed 10 years ago and my Garmin maps are not up to date but the Delormes are. It is a horse a piece for the maps. I am sure there are the opposite in other areas. Do not get me wrong I have had a lot of Garmins and I think they are great units, but so is Delorme.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I have considered the Delorme PN-60, but have read that it is hard to use with Macs and that's all we have. I really only need to download local and some Canadian maps and lake maps of Lake Erie and some Canadian Lakes. I have heard a lot of good things about the Delorme, except possible Mac issues. Certainly seems like the best value of the 3 I have seen on the Black Friday sales ads.

I would go with the Delorme PN-60. It has all the maps you will need. I know you can get free maps for Garmin, but it is all in one package and the battery life is very good.

Thanks

Bass Pro is offering $20 off any purchase of $100 or more through Dec. 14th which means it should be able to be applied to the Black Friday deals if you order online. Currently the Garmin Oregon 450 is on sale for $279.99 so that would bring it to $259.99 in case you miss the $250 deal at Cabela's.

ed0543b8-a108-4062-a206-52e9137caf77.jpg?rnd=0.007523596

I tried this coupon and it didn't work. I got the message: "The promotion code you have entered is invalid. Please verify the code and try again."

Anyone have luck using it?

Picked up an Oregon 450 for $229 at GPSCity (Canada) today.

Hey, we bought that one as well yesterday (night for us here in Denmark). We'll pick it up in about two weeks time. Mr. terratin considers walking to the shop from Downtown Calgary and do a few caches on the way :P

Mrs. terratin

Picked up an Oregon 450 for $229 at GPSCity (Canada) today.

That's an amazing price. I saw that last night on their website. I've purchased from them several times in the past and have had zero problems, they're a great company. Wow, we Canadians finally get a good deal!

Picked up one for $219 at GPS City on Black Friday - their price was good through that Monday. Now how I'm going to not use it until Christmas and be positively 'shocked' when I open it then is uncertain at best :-)