Cyber Bullying

Zed

Has GeoCaching decided to accept cyber bullying based upon some unpublished criteria? I have been the victim of repeated attacks but when I reported it I received no response. What is going on? It has been a while since I was active so if this is what the sport has become I would like to know so I could shut down my caches and retire from the scene.

What sort of bullying is occurring? When did you report it? It might take a few days for the situation to be investigated. Make sure you fully explain the situation.

I see on one of your virtual caches that people are complaining that you are deleting their finds without explanation. I don't know the details of why the finds are getting deleted, but perhaps people are reacting to that or you are deleting reacting to something else?

Has GeoCaching decided to accept cyber bullying based upon some unpublished criteria? I have been the victim of repeated attacks but when I reported it I received no response. What is going on? It has been a while since I was active so if this is what the sport has become I would like to know so I could shut down my caches and retire from the scene.

Why what was said to you ?I've found everyone very friendly on here even after I've made mistakes with others bugs & coins,even if someone did insult or complain about me I would not let it affect my life,mate if I can help just let me know!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. From my own experience in this (and other) forums, a bit of razzing can go on. Some of it is genuine and some seems like sarcasm. Either way, you have a right to report anything that is offensive. I do believe that you are at least owed an explanation by Groundspeak.

What sort of bullying is occurring? When did you report it? It might take a few days for the situation to be investigated. Make sure you fully explain the situation.

I see on one of your virtual caches that people are complaining that you are deleting their finds without explanation. I don't know the details of why the finds are getting deleted, but perhaps people are reacting to that or you are deleting reacting to something else?

I would not post the details in public forum like this or I could easily be accused of acting similarly to the bullies. I will simply say that the anonymous Colorado reviewer has been substantially less than helpful with the situation. Because of the deafening silence on the matter, the only thing I could assume is that he(she) chose to ignore the attacks in favor of some criteria established by GeoCaching.com.

"Because of the deafening silence on the matter, the only thing I could assume is that he(she) chose to ignore the attacks in favor of some criteria established by GeoCaching.com. " I very much hope that that is not the case. I would take the advice of Nicole and Sapience Trek Contact Groundspeak directly and give them all the details. I am sure the matter will be resolved then. :)

I would not post the details in public forum like this or I could easily be accused of acting similarly to the bullies. I will simply say that the anonymous Colorado reviewer has been substantially less than helpful with the situation. Because of the deafening silence on the matter, the only thing I could assume is that he(she) chose to ignore the attacks in favor of some criteria established by GeoCaching.com.

The reviewers have very little police powers. They generally will not get into these types of things, their job description is to review caches for publication and address cache issues that need reviewer attention. There are a couple global moderators that will keep the forums in line, but they also will not get into these situations. I will speculate the reviewer suggested you contact HQ directly but you chose not to expecting the reviewer to handle the situation. You need to follow up on the advice Nicole gave you and contact HQ directly. They are the folks that deal with these problems.

This sounds like something more suite for the lily pad to take care of by sending an email to contact@geocaching.com

They can handle these types of problems much better than a reviewer.

The reviewers have very little police powers. They generally will not get into these types of things, their job description is to review caches for publication and address cache issues that need reviewer attention. There are a couple global moderators that will keep the forums in line, but they also will not get into these situations. I will speculate the reviewer suggested you contact HQ directly but you chose not to expecting the reviewer to handle the situation. You need to follow up on the advice Nicole gave you and contact HQ directly. They are the folks that deal with these problems.

This is exactly right - thanks for posting.

Reviewers have jurisdiction over cache listings, land manager policies and related subjects. We are not the log police, so we would not take action against someone who is harassing another geocacher. Ideally, your reviewer would have written back to the OP with a simple note such as the following form letter that I use:

Hello, and thanks for reaching out for assistance. I am sorry to hear about the dispute you are having. Geocaching is supposed to be fun, and arguing with someone is not fun. The faster the argument is resolved, the sooner everyone can return to having fun.

I would encourage you in the first instance to try once more to work things out with the other party. If they are being stubborn, ask yourself, "is this dispute really worth my time?" Try being the bigger person and conceding the point - you may discover that you feel better for doing so. At the very least, it will put the matter quickly behind you.

If you don't think that further dialogue will be productive, and you'd like an official answer, then I'd encourage you to write to Groundspeak at contact@geocaching.com with full details, including a link to the cache in question. As a volunteer, I do not get involved in this type of dispute -- I only review caches for compliance with the listing guidelines.

Before writing to Groundspeak, please review the Page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books about log deletions, found here: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

I hope that this guidance was helpful to you. Good luck in resolving the situation.

Happy caching,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Well, without any details, we can only refer you to the moderator post.

i don't even know what the point is of posting a vague, one way accusation, in the forums

in the absence of details as well as the other party's side of the story is quite useless

Anything you receive, copy and send to Groundspeak. (contact@geocaching.com) Do not reply to the instigator of the trouble you are experiencing.

Are people generally satisfied with GS' response in these matters? When it comes to action that may be taken, I was considering the worst case scenario vs. the best possible outcome, and wondered what truly would be worthwhile reporting.

Well, without any details, we can only refer you to the moderator post.

i don't even know what the point is of posting a vague, one way accusation, in the forums

in the absence of details as well as the other party's side of the story is quite useless

The point would seem to have been to find out what can he can/should do next. Groundspeak answered his question on the very next post and gave him an avenue for further investigation. It's good that they do seem to be monitoring the forums and will answer when needed. The details of his dispute are really not important to those of us not involved and would probably only serve to stir more debate and speculation with no real purpose, entertaining though that is.

It seems to me that a new form of cyber bullying is taking place in the area in which I live. We have cachers in our area, that when finding a newbie cache give it a review and if it does not meet their criteria, give harsh criticism. They proceed to give a long list on the log entry on what is wrong with the cache. If the cache owner protests and deletes their logs, they proceed to go to our local forums and call them names and berate them publicly.

( http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=856.msg7310#new ) they also use this forum to post the pages of caches they find unacceptable. (basically bragging they chastised the owners) so that others can read what they have written.

I want to know if Groundspeak has any guidelines on what belongs on a log page. What ever happened to "if there is a problem with the cache please contact the owner privately"? I have been in contact with a couple of people who have been harshly berated to encourage them, that maybe their cache may not be perfect, but please don't give up and keep trying. (after all there is a bit of a learning curve to the game) also to let them know that not all cachers in our area think like they do, and many cachers would be happy to find their cache. To my surprise, some of these cache owners are ready to give up on the sport and never put out another cache again just because of the rude comments made by a few. I feel the sport may be in jeopardy in our area just because of a few crabby people. We were all new once, and these people seem to forget what it was like to be new and wait in anticipation of someone posting a find on the caches they worked so hard on. Shame. Would like to hear comments from others on what they would think of a few cachers in their area policing their game for them. Is it just me or does anybody else find this practice extremely rude?

extremely rude

Veteran cachers around here seem a little more tactful. The worst you usually see in a log is “I'm not sure this container will last long” (when it's a cardboard pringles can, or whatever). People who place temporary throwdowns with little planning should stop doing that, and such caches usually get archived quickly anyway. But if one takes it upon oneself to “helpfully” rate and criticize cache deficiencies, the suggestions will fall on deaf ears. I'd rather they at most select the worst flaw, and politely mention that, after saying how very nice a spot it is. And if there's a serious guideline violation, why not just NA it, without the extra drama?

It seems to me that a new form of cyber bullying is taking place in the area in which I live. We have cachers in our area, that when finding a newbie cache give it a review and if it does not meet their criteria, give harsh criticism. They proceed to give a long list on the log entry on what is wrong with the cache. If the cache owner protests and deletes their logs, they proceed to go to our local forums and call them names and berate them publicly.

( http://canadascapita...856.msg7310#new ) they also use this forum to post the pages of caches they find unacceptable. (basically bragging they chastised the owners) so that others can read what they have written.

I want to know if Groundspeak has any guidelines on what belongs on a log page. What ever happened to "if there is a problem with the cache please contact the owner privately"? I have been in contact with a couple of people who have been harshly berated to encourage them, that maybe their cache may not be perfect, but please don't give up and keep trying. (after all there is a bit of a learning curve to the game) also to let them know that not all cachers in our area think like they do, and many cachers would be happy to find their cache. To my surprise, some of these cache owners are ready to give up on the sport and never put out another cache again just because of the rude comments made by a few. I feel the sport may be in jeopardy in our area just because of a few crabby people. We were all new once, and these people seem to forget what it was like to be new and wait in anticipation of someone posting a find on the caches they worked so hard on. Shame. Would like to hear comments from others on what they would think of a few cachers in their area policing their game for them. Is it just me or does anybody else find this practice extremely rude?

I don't think there was ever a GS policy that said if there's something wrong with the cache a finder should contact the CO privately. Personally I want to see what's wrong with the cache in the logs so I know whether or not to go hunt the cache. Things like: poor coordinates, poor containers, wrong choice of terrain rating, private property hide, playground nearby, etc.

I think people who've been at it for a few years are getting exasperated. This hobby isn't free - a poorly placed cache wastes gas money, wear and tear on our cars, and our time. There's no need to place bad caches - there are plenty of good examples of caches, there's plenty of information in the guidelines (which people are obliged to indicate that they have read before publishing a cache).

I don't think it's cyber bullying if folks post comments like......'The cache is listed as a small but it's actually smaller then a film canister so it should be listed as a micro.' 'The yogurt container tub is not watertight, there was about a tablespoon of water in the cache. I recommend a real Lock and Lock (not a dollar store variety) for this spot next to the stream.' 'To get to the cache you have to go past a private property sign. Guidelines state that caches are not to be planted on private property."

But perhaps that's not what you're talking about. Got any examples?

Edited by Lone R

Well i did some scouring of some of the logs i remember being a little insulting and (big surprise) they have been deleted by cache owners,

I don't think these people realize how rude they are being, giving criticisms without being asked, if you got to GZ and hated the set up or it's hide, why did you bother logging it?

http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=822.0 (a good example)

there is no point on calling these people out on the local forums (they are the moderators)

awww man, you mean it's NOT all about ME??? lmao

do i feel better knowing i'm not the only one you know going through this? no, of course not, wouldn't wish this on any one.

He called me uneducated...he knows NOTHING about me.....it infuriates me

this is what he said about me....Under-educated, under-appreciative but over-enthusiastic and closed-minded. She epitomizes the type we see all too frequently. Sort of like the person who takes a crap on your porch, rings the doorbell and runs away.

Quoted from the pinned article in the general topic forum ...

If someone directs correspondence to you that is abusive or derogatory through the site, a forum topic or a log entry, you should not respond before reporting it. Once two parties are involved, it becomes a "he said this" or "she said that" discussion that is generally difficult to deal with.

Forum posts are reported by clicking on the !Report link at the bottom of the post. Other issues are reported by sending an email with all of the particulars to contact@geocaching.com

Even though you deleted the log entery lackeys have magical powers and can read what you can not. I would suggest if these bullies continue more people take the time to drop the frog a line or two. Folks do get banned for this type of behavior.

@cheryl1701 If I find a cache that has a problem (whether it's misrated, a horrible container, or horribly off coordinates) I post it in my Found log (because I found the cache). This is for two reasons: one it let's the cache owner know and helps them make better decisions; two it lets other seekers know the issue. Now it is not what is said but how you say it that's an issue. I always try to be as nice as possible and try to teach others the best practices. The other issue you brought up is log deletion. The CO only has the right to delete the log if the log is bogus or contains something along the line of profanity. Without examples we have no idea if these were just somewhat harsh criticism or an attack/insult.

Reading the forum posts you referenced it appears that the COs who get these negative logs may be rude back and are not taking the help that is being offered. It's impossible to tell from what little information we have. Anytime you think the system is being abused forward the email to contact@geocaching.com and let them handle it.

Well i did some scouring of some of the logs i remember being a little insulting and (big surprise) they have been deleted by cache owners,

I don't think these people realize how rude they are being, giving criticisms without being asked, if you got to GZ and hated the set up or it's hide, why did you bother logging it?

http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=822.0 (a good example)

there is no point on calling these people out on the local forums (they are the moderators)

Oh, that doesn't sound too bad, or the other one you linked to. Maybe I'm desensitized from 6 years of Geocaching forums. Hey, I see Narcissa in one of those threads, nice to see she's still around. :)

The linked forum post wasn't too bad. Personal attacks are well over the line, but I would appreciate to know info on a cache that was found lacking. Silence unfortunately is consent - that is, no feedback implies everything is OK. Of course what is OK is subject to interpretation.

I don't care to criticize directly in a log, but will offer updated coordinates and comments on the condition (present and future) of the container.

I have a sarcastic streak at times though and have logged things like "Wow, I would never have visited this spot without geocaching" or "Thanks for the great view" on nondescript LPC's.

Maybe that doesn't help, but I feel better!

http://www.geocacher...php?topic=348.0

i couldn't have said it better myself

In about the last 3 years of geocaching (December will be my 10th geocaching anniversary), I too have grown quite frustrated. I have less patience and I definitely believe in constructive criticism. How else will hiders know that they are frustrating some cachers? If it scares off newbies who plant poor quality caches I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. But I try my best to not be rude but sometimes it's awfully hard to sugar coat a bad caching experience.

Micros have really started to bother me, since most are placed because they are cheap and easy to hide. My posts were starting to reflect my frustration so I filter out micros and "others" (since 99% of the time they are micros/nanos).

So when I go looking for a "small" cache and it turns out it's a micro I am going to mention something in the log. I will write that I filter out micros because I don't enjoy finding them and then I'll post the guidelines concerning cache size into my post. Is it rude? I feel it's rude of the CO to either not read the guidelines or the size drop menu in the submission form, or to list it as small to get past the people who filter micros.

I broke my leg in early Spring while geocaching. At the end of 2 months into my recovery I thought I'd try some easier terrain caches to get back into the game. So I downloaded caches with a terrain rating of 2 or less. The cache was rated a 2 difficulty and a 2 terrain and the cache is listed as small. Here's my post:

I too saw the 80 degree slope trail (terrain 4). There was no way I was attempting that. I broke my leg while looking for a cache on a small hill back in May and I'm still recovering. I filtered out for terrain 2 or lower caches expecting terrain 2 to be relatively flat land.

I walked back to the car on Brock Street and found the other trail, about a 40 degree decent to the valley floor, a 3 terrain. Using my hiking pole for support, I carefully descended the hill.

After getting to ground zero and looking in and around trees for a small cache I re-read the logs. With conformation that the clue helps I found not a "small" cache but a micro - smaller then a film canister. I filter out micros because I can't leave travelbugs or my signature item. The tiny container isn't water tight so it was wrapped in a baggie which was muddy and full of holes.

The Knowledge Books explains containers and container philosophy. (visit link)

**micro: e.g. 35mm film canister or smaller

**Generally, you want to use a container that is suitable for your particular environment. Can this forest support a nice, large cache with room for many trade items?

How would you re-write it to make it less harsh but still constructive. Keep all the pertinent information in the comment to inform future cachers.

It is a tiny pill tin, in a muddy depression in the ground with a rock on top of it, the coordinates are about 12 meters (about 25 feet) off. The hint said "With a cherry on top". And it's in a large forest with lots of spots where a swag-size container would fit.

My post was deleted. I reposted apologizing for criticizing the terrain rating, explaining that I was recovering from a broken leg and stated that I hoped the CO would allow this current post to stand. He let it stand. But he did not change the terrain rating, did not change the cache size to micro, did not update the coordinates. This is what makes some of us get impatient and irritable. There are numerous grumbly posts and yes, most of those irritated posts are from cachers that have been playing for a few years.

Edited by Lone R

**Generally, you want to use a container that is suitable for your particular environment. Can this forest support a nice, large cache with room for many trade items?

I would have left that last paragraph out, it's giving advice they did not ask for.

And BTW i would have taken one look at that hill and said "uh,uh, not this kid!"

How would you re-write it to make it less harsh but still constructive. Keep all the pertinent information in the comment to inform future cachers.

Your less-than-complimentary log isn't so bad -- it's informative, just a little condescending maybe. You're more adventurous with a broken leg than I'd be. I'd log a DNF, "Is it down that steep slope? The terrain rating doesn't seem right for where the GPS is pointing."

But If I did go after the cache, I'd start my Found log with "Wow, what a beautiful spot" or "What a roomy parking spot" or "I had a delicious sandwich for lunch" or something positive. Anything.

Then I'd say it was much steeper than expected for the terrain rating. And the container was smaller than expected for the size listed. And I'd omit the rating suggestions and knowlegebook references. Frankly, you sound crotchety. I often re-read my frustrating-cache logs to check for my own crotchetyness, and try to smooth them out a little. As you say, sometimes that's practically impossible.

Frankly, you sound crotchety.

True. I was. I wanted the CO to see how a caching experience can put a damper on a mood. Now if he had posted the proper terrain and size he could have avoided my crotchety-ness and he could have the proper audience for his cache - people who can handle high terrain and for whom cache size doesn't matter.

I do think your advice to start off with something positive is a good suggestion.

I would have left that last paragraph out, it's giving advice they did not ask for.

And BTW i would have taken one look at that hill and said "uh,uh, not this kid!"

For me it's a waste of my precious caching time (I work a full time job and have family responsibilities, my time is limited). I spent about 15 minutes walking around looking for a 2 terrain way to get down to the valley. 15 minutes that could have better been spent on a swag-size, flat terrain cache with accurate coordinates. If I had decided not to risk it, I would still have left a note about why I filtered out for 2 and under terrain ratings. I will try to be gentler next time but I will always point out problems with caches. I appreciate it when previous finders leave information in their logs about issues. To me, silence is complicity.

Geocaching is a pursuit that millions of people enjoy, hence it subject all the variability of any large group demographic. People have a very wide variety of personalities, from pleasant to not so pleasant to mentally ill. The key is to recognize which in the spectrum you are dealing with, so you can attempt to effectively communicate. For example: I recently received a series of very curt and caustic emails from a CO after I recommend that one of his caches should be archived. Regardless of how logical, and polite my emails were, he responded inappropriately. IMO, this guy had some very serious control and personality issues. My solution was to stop communicating with him, and to place all of his caches (only about 5 of them) on ignore, so I do have to deal with him in the future. My point, I could have complained to GS, sent copies of emails etc...for what result? Maybe a temp band, which would just piss him off more, increasing the hyper focus on me? It's beyond GS to fix the real problem, which is the CO personality. I just let it go. I would do the same about any cache criticism I receive. My response will be, "Thanks for the info, I will think about it." Cache ratings are all subjective within very broad guidelines (note GS doesn't use the term rules) Some people just are not comfortable in a world with such uncertainty and variability. They will expend hugh amounts of effort to make their world orderly and stable according to their opinion of how it should be, in the process causing conflict with other's opinions. It's beyond, GS or anyone else to change someone's personality.

Edited by Russ!

Complaining at someone via a log is inappropriate. It's the equivalent of the store manager yelling at a clerk in front of customers. It demeans the person, and make the complainer look like an butt head even if he/she is basically correct. People with serious issues about a cache should be holding their discussion via email. Most people will usually be far less defensive and more agreeable to change, when they are not attacked in public.

People with serious issues about a cache should be holding their discussion via email. Most people will usually be far less defensive and more agreeable to change, when they are not attacked in public.

You should read this post by someone with the opinion that no discouraging cache logs should be done either. Which means no logs or emails should be posted that are critical nor complimentary. Always just type "There was a Geocache". So you don't set anyone off.

Edited by kunarion

After beeing banned from this forum for occasionally using a swear word or two, I've come to the conclusion that it's best to just not say anything at all, because if they don't like what you write, they will simply kick you out! :blink::mad:

So, no criticism, no reality, write everything just as if you're talking to a 5 year old...nice, clean and sweet... family friendly, so you don't traumatize the poor people that can't cope with it otherwise.

:cry:

After beeing banned from this forum for occasionally using a swear word or two, I've come to the conclusion that it's best to just not say anything at all, because if they don't like what you write, they will simply kick you out! :blink::mad:

So, no criticism, no reality, write everything just as if you're talking to a 5 year old...nice, clean and sweet... family friendly, so you don't traumatize the poor people that can't cope with it otherwise.

Sounds like you were banned, not for criticism, or reality. You were banned for using "a swear word or two", (please don't tell us you weren't warned first.)

Perhaps if you cannot tell the difference between talking with your buddies at a bar, and being on a public forum, maybe the forums is not the place to try to get your point across.

It is not about traumatizing people that can't cope with it otherwise, it is about being civil.

Sounds like you were banned, not for criticism, or reality. You were banned for using "a swear word or two", (please don't tell us you weren't warned first.)

Perhaps if you cannot tell the difference between talking with your buddies at a bar, and being on a public forum, maybe the forums is not the place to try to get your point across.

It is not about traumatizing people that can't cope with it otherwise, it is about being civil.

Based on this recent post, I'm guessing he's on his way to another bannination...

--Larry

Amy I supposed to call it dog doo doo !?

If this is the stuff you get banned for, this is a ********* kindergarden ( and if they ban me for this....I actually really typed the stars myself this time....ain't I civilized :blink: )

Seems to be a really over sensitive community here :signalviolin:

Like I said...be careful what you write, be sure to sugarcoat every word you say....

OR ELSE :cry:

no criticism, no reality, write everything just as if you're talking to a 5 year old...nice, clean and sweet... family friendly,

Although you're being sarcastic, this actually is not a bad philosophy.

After 7 years in the game, I have no trouble at all determining which caches to hunt. True, there are more and more of the type I don't want to waste my time with, but they're generally in places I don't want to go to, and there are still plenty of good ones within a couple of hours drive. I see no point in making snarky comments and making the game less fun for those who like that sort of thing.

no criticism, no reality, write everything just as if you're talking to a 5 year old...nice, clean and sweet... family friendly,

After 7 years in the game, I have no trouble at all determining which caches to hunt. True, there are more and more of the type I don't want to waste my time with, but they're generally in places I don't want to go to, and there are still plenty of good ones within a couple of hours drive. I see no point in making snarky comments and making the game less fun for those who like that sort of thing.

How exactly do my comments make the game less fun to anyone? :huh:

But at least you're right about this: If the Cache doesn't look like you'd want to do it, the just don't...

I am used to extreme urban caches that are only done by adults, so I'm not used to beeing resposible for other peoples kids :rolleyes:

I don't wanna watch my language, because thats just the way I talk...don't harass me cuz I'm :wacko:

That's what I call cyber bullying :drama:

Edited by Otis.Gore

How exactly do my comments make the game less fun to anyone? :huh:

But at least you're right about this: If the Cache doesn't look like you'd want to do it, the just don't...

I am used to extreme urban caches that are only done by adults, so I'm not used to beeing resposible for other peoples kids :rolleyes:

I don't wanna watch my language, because thats just the way I talk...don't harass me cuz I'm :wacko:

That's what I call cyber bullying :drama:

And your insistence to be a fowl mouthed participant that makes the forums uncomfortable for others is what I call cyber bullying.

Hey, I don't bully you cuz you're on a moral high horse, do I?

If you're "uncomfortable" because of the way I speak (or write) that's your problem...I can't do anything about your style either....hmmmmm?

By the way, bullying has do be directed AGAINST someone.

I do not intend to bully anyone in particular....but you did just bully me, didn't you :laughing:

people do get banned for criticizing and yes, without warning