New Attributes

Ry Dawg

Recently, I've been in the process of placing a new cache. Some of the attributes cover the basis, such "may require wading"; but there sure isn't one for "beware of quicksand" or the like.

Just curious, what caches do you have out to which you could/would put a unique attribute? What would the attributes be?

Edited by shotgun86

Recently, I've been in the process of placing a new cache. Some of the attributes cover the basis, such "may require wading"; but there sure isn't one for "beware of quicksand" or the like.

Just curious, what caches do you have out to which you could/would put a unique attribute? What would the attributes be?

There is a Dangerous Area attribute which quicksand would seem to fall under.

Likewise, there is both a Difficult Climbing attribute and Tree Climbing attribute. Combine the two and you'd have Difficult Tree Climbing.

One I think would be nice that doesn't exist is a Rest Area attribute. For all those caches placed in highway rest areas. (I know a pair of rest areas, one Northbound, one Southbound, and between the two of them they have 7 Geocaches! One of them a challenge cache I am not likely to have any chance of doing for a long while. 5 Regular size caches, 1 Small, and 1 micro.) :)

Actually, there are too many attribute tags as it is. More would simply overpower and clutter the cache page to near uselessness.

There is no way that each and (nearly) everything should be tagged as an attribute. Mostly because they are so.... generic.

There's been requests for "slippery hill", "tree climbing required"... and now "quicksand" (that is the best one of the three, really).

For us northerners, "thin ice" might be a good one. But... guess what? Somebody WILL fall through the thin ice regardless! 'Tis the nature of the human beast.

Most of these items should be covered in the cache description/write up anyway. More and more, it seems as though the cache pages consist of two - three lines, even less -- and they are usually just copied/pasted from the previous cache the hider did.

Attributes? Who needs them, when the cache is always the same?

Luckily, so far anyway, we have managed to skirt the quicksand :) I really do like that one.

We usually use the snowflake!

Jeeps only. Jk.....

How about, Requires Extra Tools. Such as some water, a grabbing tool, or a crow bar for those caches under sewer drains.

Wouldn't that be Requires Special Tool? :) (I wouldn't think someone should be placing a cache under a manhole cover, if that's what the crow bar would be for, and I certainly wouldn't want to do a cache like that.)

Forgot to say this before, but what I really would like is if more COs would actually use attributes.

Actually, there are too many attribute tags as it is. More would simply overpower and clutter the cache page to near uselessness.

There is no way that each and (nearly) everything should be tagged as an attribute. Mostly because they are so.... generic.

There's been requests for "slippery hill", "tree climbing required"... and now "quicksand" (that is the best one of the three, really).

For us northerners, "thin ice" might be a good one. But... guess what? Somebody WILL fall through the thin ice regardless! 'Tis the nature of the human beast.

Most of these items should be covered in the cache description/write up anyway. More and more, it seems as though the cache pages consist of two - three lines, even less -- and they are usually just copied/pasted from the previous cache the hider did.

Attributes? Who needs them, when the cache is always the same?

Luckily, so far anyway, we have managed to skirt the quicksand :) I really do like that one.

We usually use the snowflake!

You make an excellent point on too many attributes! Some I don't think I would ever need to use.

Glad you liked my quicksand :)

If only we could get more COs in the habit of using Attributes.

Attributes that I think would be nice additions are:

Historic Location

Cemetery

Rest Area (i.e. interstate highway rest areas - for running PQs)

Not really on point, but I enjoyed how a Florida Cacher had used the No Snowmobiles attribute on all of his hides :)

Buahahaha. That is amazing!

It's really funny the first few times. After awhile it gets old.

Then again, at least it means they're using the Attributes. :P

Edited by Joshism

I would like to see a "Reviewer's Choice" attribute that could only be awarded in limited numbers by a cache reviewer, and which didn't count against the limit of attributes the CO can add.

In my fantasy, after wading through a swamp of publishing caches with writeups that begin with "Quick P&G" or "saw there was no cache here so decided to drop one," I could stamp this special attribute on a terrific cache page narrating the history of the area, knowing that the cache owner had finally succeeded in getting that stubborn park ranger to allow a cache in the park. Publishing caches like that makes my day, and I'd like to let everyone else know that.

We see EVERY published cache in our territory, and we know good caches when we see them. Would anyone like to run a pocket query to show just the Reviewer's Choice caches?

I would like to see a "Reviewer's Choice" attribute that could only be awarded in limited numbers by a cache reviewer, and which didn't count against the limit of attributes the CO can add.

In my fantasy, after wading through a swamp of publishing caches with writeups that begin with "Quick P&G" or "saw there was no cache here so decided to drop one," I could stamp this special attribute on a terrific cache page narrating the history of the area, knowing that the cache owner had finally succeeded in getting that stubborn park ranger to allow a cache in the park. Publishing caches like that makes my day, and I'd like to let everyone else know that.

We see EVERY published cache in our territory, and we know good caches when we see them. Would anyone like to run a pocket query to show just the Reviewer's Choice caches?

Thanks for posting! I'd really like that attribute also; I love going to caches that introduce me to a new, unique or historical area

That does sound nice. Another option might be to extend the Favorites system, allowing reviewer accounts to vote for Favorites without posting "Found It" logs, and without running out of Favorites votes.

Something like that would be great!

Perhaps a separate Reviewers Favorite 'Favorites' category?

Can we get a souvenir for finding one? :lol:

That does sound nice. Another option might be to extend the Favorites system, allowing reviewer accounts to vote for Favorites without posting "Found It" logs, and without running out of Favorites votes.

Pro to your refinement: extending "Favorites" is a bit less elitist than a "Reviewer's Choice" attribute.

Con to your suggestion: I'd prefer to only award Fave Pointies to caches I've actually found, and I'd like to avoid the perception of "doubling up" the Points by awarding one under each of my identities.

I'm really thinking of caches that transcend my personal definition of a "favorite." I could award a Reviewer's Choice attribute to a T5 kayaking cache that my body won't let me do, or to a clever puzzle that my brain won't let me solve.

Pro to your refinement: extending "Favorites" is a bit less elitist than a "Reviewer's Choice" attribute.

Con to your suggestion: I'd prefer to only award Fave Pointies to caches I've actually found, and I'd like to avoid the perception of "doubling up" the Points by awarding one under each of my identities.

I'm really thinking of caches that transcend my personal definition of a "favorite." I could award a Reviewer's Choice attribute to a T5 kayaking cache that my body won't let me do, or to a clever puzzle that my brain won't let me solve.

No matter how this is enabled, I'm on-board with the concept.

Wow. All I can say is "Wow".

Wonderful idea! I would finally use the attribute section of PQs for something. Start a trend and create a bookmark list and pressure GS for the attribute. Now we just need a design...

THIS

SOUNDS LIKE

A GREAT PLAN

PS LOVE THE CAT

HOPE TO SEE REVIEWER'S CHOICE

ADDED IN THE NEXT SITE UPDATE

It's a great idea and I appreciate that you printed it rather than just dream about it. I am confident that I would find such a list quite valuable.

Unfortunately, reviewers get plenty of flak already about supposed "favoritism." Just review this forum for frequent examples. So, it is not to be. Fight the ennui Keystone, and know that many appreciate the hard work of publishing the gold and the dross.

This idea has been suggested on the feedback site:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2324535-reviewer-s-choice-caches

I went to the feedback site to do the same thing, and found it was already done.

Thanks niraD!

I put in my 3 votes. Sounds like a fantastic idea!!!!

I'd love to see this. Best idea I've heard in a long time!!