Souvenirs

Arikaneus

Hi,

I don't know if this topic was discussed before, but i wanted to know, if there is possibiliy to enhance the souvenirs to achievements like they are used at gaming consoles like Microsoft XBox. Achievements are granted for things i reached while playing. Something like, when you have discovered 500 caches you are granted a silver achievment. For 1000 Caches you are granted the gold achievement and so on. Its like a mixture between milestones and souvenirs. Achievements could be granted for many other different things.

Arikaneus

PS: Sorry for my bad english. ;-)

It might be good to put your idea over in the Feedback Forum, but I notice someone has already made a similar suggestion. :)

MrsB

Oh, thanks. I used the search, but didn't found this topic. I will add an remark at this topic.

Arikaneus

That's OK. The Feedback Forum is a different place from these forums. It is specifically for making suggestions about the website and also for reporting problems. You will see it has sections for Souvenirs and also the new Challenges. I understand that the Groundspeak employees read the Feedback forums more than these forums.

MrsB

I keep forgetting they exist.

Ditto.

I think if we knew what souvenirs there were we might be more inclined to look them up and strive for them as goals (actually that would be more appropriate for achievements than souvenirs :) ) - that's also sort of akin to the new challenges.

*voted*

Full list of souvenirs currently available, except for the one for International Geocaching Day (2011):

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264608

Its not about the numbers

I can accept that for some it isn't about numbers but you have a huge listing on your profile showing all your various stats (not the one everyone has, the one you added) and it even has a section that takes up my entire screen labeled "some numbers"

Kind of makes one think that maybe it is about the numbers.

I keep forgetting they exist.

As long as Groundspeak is keeping them on the backburner with no new development of new Souvenirs it will likely stay that way. I'm not interested in a milestone souvenir based on a number of finds but I wouldn't mind seeing a "Well traveled geocacher" souvenir that would be awarded after finding caches in a certain number of states/provinces/countries. Of course, to make it equitable they'd have to do something for the many countries which have administrative regions.

its about numbers.... its not about numbers.... you know to each his own!!!! What is important to one geocacher might not be to another and at the end of the day that should be fine with all cachers. If jane likes to track numbers and jack don't I don't think either jane or jack will suffer from the others reasoning..... just sayin

Full list of souvenirs currently available, except for the one for International Geocaching Day (2011):

And the one for the worldwide flash mob. And I think GeoWoodstock IX, too.

That thread used to be up to date when regional souvenirs were being cranked out. Once that stopped, the updates stopped, too. But apparently the knowledge book entry on souvenirs is kept up to date.

Though, according to that page, Bulgaria has a souvenir. News to me, we've got 10 finds there. So either the knowledge base page is inaccurate, or we're missing that one.

That said, I like Souvenirs and was happy to get them for 10-10-10, WWFM VIII, and International Geocaching Day. I think it's a better idea than seperate cache icons like was done for the 10th annivesary events in May 2010. Given the popularity of Achievement systems, it's very much in keeping with the times. I'd certainly like to see a few more added such as filling in your D/T grid, filling your Calendar grid, Earthcache Master levels, and similiar things.

I don't think Souvenirs are somewehat ignored by geocachers because further Souvenirs have been mostly backburnered. Many griped about them when they were introduced so have been ignoring them since day one.

The sync it to FB and twitter would be very cool too.

I've noticed any kind of linking Facebook/Twitter/etc accounts to geocaching accounts is a very contentious subject around here.

And the one for the worldwide flash mob. And I think GeoWoodstock IX, too.

That thread used to be up to date when regional souvenirs were being cranked out. Once that stopped, the updates stopped, too. But apparently the knowledge book entry on souvenirs is kept up to date.

Though, according to that page, Bulgaria has a souvenir. News to me, we've got 10 finds there. So either the knowledge base page is inaccurate, or we're missing that one.

I understand what you meant. I have the same problem with the International Geocaching Day Souvenir. I found a cache on August 20th, but I dont have the souvenir icon on my profile.

Edited by RCN Sailor
I understand what you meant. I have the same problem with the International Geocaching Day Souvenir. I found a cache on August 20th, but I dont have the souvenir icon on my profile.

Was that the one that required to find and log a cache on that day via the geocaching app? Not sure if it's the same souvenir. I think that one messed some people up who thought it was just about logging a cache on that day, not knowing it had to be done via the mobile app.

Was that the one that required to find and log a cache on that day via the geocaching app? Not sure if it's the same souvenir. I think that one messed some people up who thought it was just about logging a cache on that day, not knowing it had to be done via the mobile app.

I got the souvenir for logging a cache as "found" on that day (August 20th).

Nothing to do with an app. We just found and logged caches on that day.

Does anybody know, when will be these* new souvenirs officially released? And why are north European states so weird (Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Danmark)?

* http://www.flickr.com/photos/geocaching_com/sets/72157627767218578/

A few months ago, once all of the US States and Canadian provinces were released, Groundspeak put the Souvenirs project on the backburner and gave no indication regarding when they would start releasing new souvenirs. I hadn't seen that flickr page before and it appear that all of the images were uploaded on Sept. 27th. It also contains artwork for numerous countries for which a souvenir has not yet been released. Perhaps this an indication that GS will start releasing souvenirs again. I hope so as there are a few there for countries in which I've found a cache and have not yet visited. There are some interesting country choices included. France was included but not Italy, Japan, but not China. No South or Central American countries are represented. I liked the South African artwork (one I would qualify for) but the one for Ethiopia is going to gnaw on me since I was within 1000 feet of one of the few caches in that country at the time but never got the opportunity to search for it. There are currently on 13 caches in the entire country (only 4 when I was there) so this may be the rarest of all souvenirs if it's released.