Is it normal for the FTF to take 70% of the SWAG?

Boy oh boy, this conversation is making me feel quite fortunate as a CO. We have a university arboretum cache that 's been out for about 10 years. A couple of times a year I restock with university-related trinkets. I take a bagful of stuff I've bought over a few months. Almost every time I take a few of the items back with me for the next re-stock because the cache has a lot of decent stuff in it. The university swag is usually depleted but people put decent swag back in (mostly toys that kids would like). There are always a few bits of junk to remove (beer bottle cap, half a ticket stub, dirty golf ball) but nothing overwhelming. Same for our other 4 swag size caches. Looks like we're one of the lucky COs.

If I'm going to spend a lot of time and money on a cache I make it premium members only....I see you're not a pm so you didn't have that option. If a cache has been muggled I change it to pm....believe me , it helps. In my area you cannot say your cache is an ammo can ( non pmc ) because there is a good chance it will be taken.

I think your cache was muggled by a non pm using the GC site.....its happened to me. They retrieved the key, took what they wanted ( twice ) and re-locked the cache and put the key back ( they didn't take everything ). I made the cache pmo and changed the lock to a combo with combination on the cache page....no more problems.

Swag is a joke ( that's a shame because of the children) thats why my favorite caches are micro's in the woods.....great challenge to find. I should note that even in a PMO cache quality swag will eventually turn to junk ( just takes longer ) and trackables will still disappear.

I guess it comes down to Geocaching meaning different things to different people. To me the value of trade items should be

$5+ (or a high cool factor, but have fun defining that). Having said that I see tons of people;

a) complaining about having to spend more than $100 on a decent GPS,

b.) stating that $30 for a Premium membership is internet robbery, and

c) they left a quarter in a cache and want others to `step up to the plate`.

My suggestion is stick to premium caches, both searching for and placing, and let the garbage caches disintegrate

into anarchy. They also need to lose the Premium trial membership. People are just using it to pocket query their

home State/Province and then let it expire. It`s $30 people! And it supports this site. Membership should be mandatory.

Edited by BStheTech

LOL! That just gave me a brilliant idea! Put out a new cache, stocked with a known amount of money. Ask clearly that people trade equal or better, or don't trade at all. I wonder how much money would be in the cache after a year?

I guess it comes down to Geocaching meaning different things to different people. To me the value of trade items should be

$5+ (or a high cool factor, but have fun defining that). Having said that I see tons of people;

My suggestion is stick to premium caches, both searching for and placing, and let the garbage caches disintegrate

into anarchy. They also need to lose the Premium trial membership. People are just using it to pocket query their

home State/Province and then let it expire. It`s $30 people! And it supports this site. Membership should be mandatory.

I agree 100%.....there are jokes about " Platinum" membership but it should exist = you must have been a Premium member for at least 5 years than you auto. become Platinum, then have Platinum only caches.

I'm glad that I was not the FTF in your cache. I know it's a real bummer what happened to your swag. You don't have enough proof to accuse the FTF in my opinion. I have place several caches and am prepared to get my swag stolen somewhat, not even trades and other. My caches are for people to have fun, but I hope they will last for a very long time. Your swag sounds awsome, good job. Some people steal, some give, some trade.

I agree 100%.....there are jokes about " Platinum" membership but it should exist = you must have been a Premium member for at least 5 years than you auto. become Platinum, then have Platinum only caches.

5 years is a bit extreme, but 1 year is def do-able.

LOL! That just gave me a brilliant idea! Put out a new cache, stocked with a known amount of money. Ask clearly that people trade equal or better, or don't trade at all. I wonder how much money would be in the cache after a year?

Around here it would be empty in less than a week with nopthing to show for it but an oxidized rubber band and a bent and moldy

Mudkip card.

I'm glad that I was not the FTF in your cache. I know it's a real bummer what happened to your swag. You don't have enough proof to accuse the FTF in my opinion. I have place several caches and am prepared to get my swag stolen somewhat, not even trades and other. My caches are for people to have fun, but I hope they will last for a very long time. Your swag sounds awsome, good job. Some people steal, some give, some trade.

We have already established that

1. I no longer am blaming the FTF, as I don't know for sure (I also don't not know either) We're just calling it a "loss" and going about our lives

2. I posted the initial messages when I was angry and said things I should not have said

3. If i could change the topic Title I would... but I am well past the allowed time to edit

please put your dead horse stick down

thanks!

5af8a1d2_523ac920_beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Edited by z0mbieCache

Around here it would be empty in less than a week with nopthing to show for it but an oxidized rubber band and a bent and moldy

Mudkip card.

I'm not so sure. With cache, the tired old "one man's trash is another man's treasure" mantra would be rather useless. One man's buck is another man's 8 bits is pretty hard to practice self-denial with.

We have already established that

1. I no longer am blaming the FTF, as I don't know for sure (I also don't not know either) We're just calling it a "loss" and going about our lives

2. I posted the initial messages when I was angry and said things I should not have said

3. If i could change the topic Title I would... but I am well past the allowed time to edit

please put your dead horse stick down

thanks!

5af8a1d2_523ac920_beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Those that buy horses need to continue to be responsible for the sticks that come out, even after the horse has been dispatched with.

Those that buy horses need to continue to be responsible for the sticks that come out, even after the horse has been dispatched with.

evidently...

this will continue to haunt me forever i guess :laughing:

I'd suggest a temporary avatar adjustment. It will work wonders. Here are a few of mine that you may want to borrow for a while:

27168788-6b01-48d0-9abb-3fde9c123b27.jpg (the women just go bananas over that one!)

c14352c8-e8d5-4aef-a8fa-303180cdb00b.jpg Cute li'l puppy, but with a bit of mischievous attitude.

7c08968e-c43b-4189-b4fd-c35e60e6f347.jpg Its hard to be mad at this dope for long.

e9953a22-4308-43e4-ae41-2a4ce7b75a4f.jpg WRONG!! I just put this in there to highlight the difference.

d96111d2-ee47-45fc-9f93-155074aa8b60.jpg The women will hate you, but the guys will treat you like royalty

510390a0-337d-47ed-b716-1b3a2bfc8641.jpg NOBODY messes with a Shriner!

85e92ec1-a9ee-4577-b366-5eb687a5e543.jpg I have no idea who this guy is, or why I have him as an avatar selection. Maybe he's a Shriner, too.

So, anyway... knock yourself out. Just remember to return it when you've finished with it.

PS: Just for comparison purposes:

34eaa47d-eecf-43dd-bdc3-6a115d716003.jpg

Edited by knowschad

evidently...

Or at least until you click the report button and ask a mod to close the thread.

evidently...

Or at least until you click the report button and ask a mod to close the thread.

Nawww.... every time we see the name, z0mbieCache, from now on... dead horse and stick. dead horse and stick. dead horse and stick. It will go on forever and forever and forever.

deadhorsebeat_2.gif

Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

Nawww.... every time we see the name, z0mbieCache, from now on... dead horse and stick. dead horse and stick. dead horse and stick. It will go on forever and forever and forever.

deadhorsebeat_2.gif

It's kind of appropriate that someone named z0mbieCache would be remembered for a topic that will not die.

deadhorsebeat_2.gif

It's kind of appropriate that someone named z0mbieCache would be remembered for a topic that will not die.

+1 Me thinks it's time to lock this beast down. :unsure:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

And under the Texas legal system the Death Penalty still applies and you can be shot on site from what I understand.

He needed killin?

I was referring to both, I lost custody of my kids twice because my ex-wife made accusations against me in a court of law with out proof. I had proof to show she was lying and they dismissed my evidence and took her for her word. I am just glad they finally wised up and took my evidence into account and I got them back yet again, and this time she has no hope of taking them from me, unless she can find another judge to lie to and take her side. But thankfully by then, the boys will be old enough that they will be able to say what they want and the court will listen

I know how you feel man, I been dealing with the same crap for the last 9 years

I have full custody of my two sons now, after several years of crap made by lies!

They told that judge ANYTHING to try and make me the bad guy... including having to go to drug counseling, anger management, domestic abuse counseling... and none of that was proven (or true), it was just immediately assumed true!

At one point she even tried convincing the court that i was a satan worshipper!

Good luck with it... and don't let 'em bring you down, if you are persistent at it, it will go your way.

It's hard for the man to get custody, but It can be done!

My father once said "I'm calling channels 2, 4, 7, the Detroit news and Free Press and asking them to find out where my jury is." The judge changed his mind because he knew there was no proof. Unfortunately now you only need accusations and the presstitutes will convict you before a trial date gets set. Then you loss 70% of your swag to legal fees.

evidently...

I'd suggest a temporary avatar adjustment. It will work wonders. Here are a few of mine that you may want to borrow for a while:

So, anyway... knock yourself out. Just remember to return it when you've finished with it.

Especially a Shriner who was director of the FBI for nearly 40 years.

Edited by briansnat

evidently...

Especially a Shriner who was director of the FBI for nearly 40 years.

Shriners are crossdressers? :huh:

Ok, you got me. In the United States legal system you are innocent until proven guilty. Of course in here you are guilty as soon as the accusation is made. :blink:

Under the British Legal system inherited by 49 states, that would be true. I've heard that this is not true in Louisiana, which inerited the French Legal System.

It's true even in Louisiana.

OK ill get this back off topic! Maybe. Like I had stated earlier I went back to my cache I had stocked...nothing really special but there was some stuff to trade that is shouldn't end up empty in a month... It was pretty much empty even the pen was changed. Oh well I thought the whole thing might have gotten muggled in this amount of time. So I add this note:

Owner Maintenance

09/03/2011

House keeping done! We restocked it!

-WarNinjas

The very next morning I get this log...

Found it

09/04/2011

SL with (name edited out). Took two jacks, the word Escape and the awesome yellow rock. Had nothing to add, sorry!

No worries really and it was cool they admitted it, I put that stuff in there for cachers to find but just found it funny and thought of this thread.

-WarNinjas

The warNinjas just did some room service on our popular travel bug motel. I was shocked to see there was noting in it but a bottle top and a signature thing. The log book and pen and the actual box was still there and I am grateful for that! So whatever swagg is missing no problem but I still did feel a little bad that it became that after all we had left in it to start. I noticed the logs were not as cool as when we started and I am guessing because it was empty. We filled it back up but where is the trade up or even or even trade at all I guess going?

We re stocked it and also checked another cache we had in the area and that one had gotten some cool stuff! I guess it is just the area you put it in. We will be checking this one more to make sure it has cool stuff in it. We might go add some travel bugs tomorrow to try and keep it cool. It is all good as long as they keep the box there. What else could we ask for I guess. I would be more disappointed if someone actually took the box.

-WarNinjas

Given it's location and how it seems to be hidden, I would think muggles may be at least partly responsible for depopulating the cache. (Can't say I've heard of a TB Hotel/Motel being hid in an area like that before.) All it takes is one kid to find it, and the swag may just vanish into their pockets. :) Did you put any papers in the cache that explain what Geocaching is and which mention the "trade up or even" guideline on swag?

Good point and we usually do but we used a book in this one for the log. I will laminate one and add it the next time we go. I did add in one of the cards sold on this site that talk about geocaching but just read it and it don't include the trade even or up guideline. I am happy to see most of the coins/bugs have been logged. There has been 85 of them threw there and only 3 have not been logged and one is ours. I think those other 2 will get logged as I noticed most have taken some time to get logged. There is no secret on the hiding of this one so I think it is OK to add the pics...

This is how we started it out, well actually we added more but I took this pic before we finished putting on the stickers and adding log and a few other swagg items...

P1070999.jpg

This is how we found it a month later...

C360_2011-09-0321-04-55.jpg

This is how we restocked it...

C360_2011-09-0321-07-46_org.jpg

-WarNinjas

OK ill get this back off topic! Maybe. Like I had stated earlier I went back to my cache I had stocked...nothing really special but there was some stuff to trade that is shouldn't end up empty in a month... It was pretty much empty even the pen was changed. Oh well I thought the whole thing might have gotten muggled in this amount of time. So I add this note:

Owner Maintenance

09/03/2011

-WarNinjas

Found it

09/04/2011

SL with (name edited out). Took two jacks, the word Escape and the awesome yellow rock. Had nothing to add, sorry!

No worries really and it was cool they admitted it, I put that stuff in there for cachers to find but just found it funny and thought of this thread.

-WarNinjas

Yeah, at least the fessed up. I started out stocking caches with some well spent money and eventually decided eBay was my friend (much as I loathe them) when it came to interesting and unusual stuff to stock with Read: Buy job lots of weird toys from around the world, which kids just might find of interest.

I resist the urge to become the Sherwin Williams of micros so I have to stock these things and watch the stuff go. Some cachers are pretty cool and bring stuff to trade or even fill up empty caches, which I truly admire as a trait in humans.

Owner Maintenance

09/03/2011

-WarNinjas

Found it

09/04/2011

-WarNinjas

That's the reason I don't advocate restocking caches. I used to fill my caches to the brim with good stuff only to see it all whittle away to nothing in a few months. At first I would go back and restock. I finally decided that donating the starter goods was all I was going to contribute. After that keeping it clean and making sure there was a serviceable logbook is all I bother with.

Been caching 6 six years now and it's been pretty much the same from the beginning. We advocate trade up or even, but very few bother. That's why I lost interest in trading after the first year.

I used to fill my caches to the brim with good stuff only to see it all whittle away to nothing in a few months. At first I would go back and restock. I finally decided that donating the starter goods was all I was going to contribute.

The strange thing is, some caches get and stay packed full of neat stuff, even if frequently visited. They also tend to not have vanishing Trackables. I'm kinda suspecting those caches attract responsible cachers somehow, although the issue may not be cachers -- non-cacher neighbor kids may be the prime depleters.

Full caches are a problem if I bring a sizable TB to drop -- I have to trade out the most space-hogging item, in order to fit the TB.

there's definitely a geo-pirate in this area... the last couple ammo cans I have been too lately, are basically emptied out and have these same dadgum post-its!

I guess i'll never find out who it is... or who looted my stuff

I may need to set up a sting operation and catch them in the act

They don't seem to care if they are deep in the woods or closer to civilization either

Edited by z0mbieCache
I may need to set up a sting operation and catch them in the act

hahahaha, like I said in one of my posts... get a trail camera aim it at the cache location. Then fill it with those sticky pads, and take a pic or 2 of tons of good stuff to say you loaded it with. And see who runs out there.

Hmmmmmm, that gives me a good idea for a virtual cache. Place trail cam, have spot located, then have cacher stand facing a specific direction with something to show username. Then hider goes out for maintenance, checks camera swaps memory card, fresh batteries, then confirms finds against picture records.

have these same dadgum post-its!

I'm guessing they might get the post-its free from work? Who knows. That one cache is the only one I have had a problem with. All others seem to be traded OK. Not a big upgrade or anything but some cool stuff added. I will go ahead and restock it when I go check it and be amazed it is still there. I won't stock it to the point of not having room for travel bugs to stay the night. I have the entertainment coupon book that has many restaurants in SF buy one get one free meals. I think I will add some of those for people visiting that might want to go to one of the restaurants in the area.

-WarNinjas

I'm guessing they might get the post-its free from work? Who knows.

Yup, looks like leftover promotional goods from the Pharmaceutical companies, actually

I have the entertainment coupon book that has many restaurants in SF buy one get one free meals. I think I will add some of those for people visiting that might want to go to one of the restaurants in the area.

-WarNinjas

That's a clever idea!

Edited by z0mbieCache

That`s garbage. Can I ask if it was a Premium Cache? I`m doing my cache as a premium to hopefully avoid the

cheapskates in my area.

The guy that had FTF IS a Premium member, he has been caching since 2005, and has almost 1500 finds, including 14 events, three of which are Mega-Events. After looking at some of his logs and stuff, I am having serious doubts that the guy took all that swag. I don't know what happened to it, but this guy would have been called out much sooner in his caching career than this, had this been his usual M.O.

OOps.

Edited by TheBearPack