Rustproofing chinese food take out containers

I thought you weren't at that event in New Jersey where we all found the Chinese Takeout cache... Maybe I missed you?

What in the tarnations are you talking about?

It seems pretty clear... Coldgears was at an event in New Jersy, during which he was part of a group of cachers who found a Chinese Takeout cache. He didn't see the OP there.

Well if I had known ahead of time, I definitely would have showed up.

I thought you weren't at that event in New Jersey where we all found the Chinese Takeout cache... Maybe I missed you?

It seems pretty clear... Coldgears was at an event in New Jersy, during which he was part of a group of cachers who found a Chinese Takeout cache. He didn't see the OP there.

Yes, how could you have missed it? Every other geocacher who ever existed or will exist was there! Someone even gave me a purple crayon container!

Yes, how could you have missed it? Every other geocacher who ever existed or will exist was there! Someone even gave me a purple crayon container!

I appreciate your attempt at humor. However, OP lives in NJ, and has 3 - 4 caches within 2 miles of the event. The event was less then 3 weeks ago. It is not far fetched for him to get the idea for the thread, because he was at the event.

Edited by Coldgears

I appreciate your attempt at humor. However, OP lives in NJ, and has 3 - 4 caches within 2 miles of the event. The event was less then 3 weeks ago. It is not far fetched for him to get the idea for the thread, because he was at the event.

Perhaps I was jealous that you guys went and found the chinese food container cache, so Im now creating my own? :D

Or it was the lucid dreaming of the chinese food container dancing in my head after the event, that was sent on the psychic information network by several cachers? Hmmm. :lol:

Perhaps I was jealous that you guys went and found the chinese food container cache, so Im now creating my own? :D

Or it was the lucid dreaming of the chinese food container dancing in my head after the event, that was sent on the psychic information network by several cachers? Hmmm. :lol:

Or perhaps it's just what naturally occurs when they let OTers escape and they stumble across a rust proofing altoids can thread. :blink:

What if I dip it in clear coat, fill it with cement, and pop a waterproof match container into the center?

Actually, I think you just described a seriously fun cache container! DO IT!

Sweeet!!!! I can see this week coming up will be fraught with cache making containers :D

If I cannot hunt while I am working (on call), then I can make devilish plans :>

I think my paper bag cache idea would be easier. Essentially it will be a block of concrete with a lock n lock pushed inside, with the bag soaked in clear coat on the outside. I just need to create a temporary form the size of the bag first until the cement hardens, then lather it with the clear coat which seems much easier..

Bad news, I'm afraid. I just learned that even if we managed to rustproof our Chinese Food take-out container, that it still would not be weatherproof. Is there anything we can do about that?

I checked the guidelines and apparently you are permitted to hide a cache on the moon. Problem solved.

Anybody wanna try making one out of something tougher than paper? http://www.thelittle...ute-cookie.html

box-layout-72dpi.jpg

I found plastic ones on eBay...
Yup... there are ceramic ones too if you look for them.
But are either type filled with concrete?
I'd rather fill it concrete myself. It's much cheaper to ship it without, but, perhaps more importantly, I'd be able to assure the proper mixture was used in making the concrete.

The real problem is the MSG. When you hide your cache, make sure you are using a container from a Chinese food place that does not use MSG in their food. Be very careful about this; many a good Chinese food container has been ruined this way.

The raccoons and hamsters thank you!

I actually think the MSG might be a real advantage. It is a flavor enhancer, after all. You can use it to reinforce the overall longevity of your beef and broccoli (btw, I recommend freeze drying a la the "Bodies" exhibit).

Anybody wanna try making one out of something tougher than paper? http://www.thelittle...ute-cookie.html

box-layout-72dpi.jpg

I found plastic ones on eBay...
Yup... there are ceramic ones too if you look for them.
But are either type filled with concrete?
I'd rather fill it concrete myself. It's much cheaper to ship it without, but, perhaps more importantly, I'd be able to assure the proper mixture was used in making the concrete.

Now there's an idea: Instant cache - sell the containers with the proper mix in the package - "just add water and stir".