Ticks! Ticks! Ticks! A recurring thread

Do you have Lyme in the PNW?

Sure, you can douse yourself with those toxic chemicals and hope for the best. Tick check when you get home is good, if you can find someone to paw your raw hide... Or you could stop geocaching? (Yeah, right.)

I think the best thing to have is a doctor who will listen to you, and prescrive the antibiotic when you feel the need for it. The Lyme test is notoriously bad, and the rashes don't always show up. Yet, some doctors rely on them alone before prescribing the antibiotic. I tested positive once and had the rash, but I'm pretty sure I've had it three times. Hey! The tick is embedded, please treat me. I don't want to have to wait a month for results!

Well, according to the Washington state department of health:

C. Lyme Disease in Washington State and the United States

Communicable Disease Epidemiology Section has received 7 to 23 reports of Lyme

disease per year in recent years. Almost all Washington cases are the result of tick

exposure out of state. Endemic Lyme disease is not common; there are generally only 0

to 3 endemically-acquired cases per year. The risk of infection appears to be highest in

counties around and west of the Cascade Mountains, reflecting the distribution of the

local Ixodes pacificus tick vector.

Lyme disease has a wide distribution in northern temperate regions of the world. Lyme

disease is the most commonly reported vector-borne disease in the United States with

approximately 29,000 cases reported annually. In this country, the reported incidence is

highest in the Northeast (particularly in southern New England); and the upper Midwest.

I wish I didn't read that.

Did you read the part I bolded? Cache and be happy. :)

I hope you have a good day at Lord Hill. That has been on my "get to" list for a long time.

A hat?

A hat does help. I wear one. Also I wear (if possible) long pants and a shirt with long sleaves, but still had four ticks last Tuesday and one last Thursday (Thursday it was rainy weather, so less problems with ticks).

During sunny weather I also use a spray (DEET). After caching a good shower and a good body check.

The best things to do IMO.

I live in Germany and the tics here are said to have all these diseases they can spread. Everywhere. And people, me included, still go out. What should one do. You can´t stay at home all the time because there´s something possibly threatening out there. Just wrap your sox over your trouser legs when you hit the bushes, so the little buggers can´t crawl up your legs. Anyways, they will not infect you as soon as they bite. Just don´t put glue or something on them to get them out. If they choke, they will puke theyr goods out which will infect you. Pull them out with a tic-tool without twisting or so. Just like you would do with a splinter.

There´s nothing bad about them in the end. Just don´t let them scent your fear! ;) To me, spiders are worse a billion times (and there are no poisonous ones at all living in germany!) ...

I've recently just got over Lyme disease, at least I hope. I was in the secondary stages with a stiff neck and joints and mild headaches. The doctor said I didn't have it, but did tests anyway. The results do not indicate if you have it, but only how your body is reacting. Since it was positive in all the indicators, and I had the symptoms, he then determined I had it. I took doxycycline for 3 weeks and feel fine now. I've never found the tick bite, but usually pull several dozen off every month in the summer. Last year I had my ankle swell up from a hundred baby ticks the size of a pinhead, but by the time I went to the doctor the swelling went down, and he said that it was nothing. Im thinking about seeing someone else..

I get them from the car. They get on your clothes and eventually crawl off and find a way to get onto the headliner and drop off on you when you get in. They are really devious creatures.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I have a way of removing ticks that is quick and painless - no tools required. You put slight pressure on the tick and rub in a circular motion for about a minute. The tick will back out completely and then you can dispose of it. You're welcome :D (yes it does work on any person or animal).

Does it matter if you go clockwise or counter-clockwise? And does it help to put on some relaxing mood music and light some incense before starting the massage? :D

To remove a tick, use Dawn dishwashing liquid on a q-tip and go in a counter-clockwise direction to massage him out. It should just pop out.

I don't know about the massage thing, but the experts all tell us to not put anything on them... not soap, not vaseline, and don't heat them up. Those things will all cause them to regurgitate bad stuff into you.

I am skeptical of the massage, but next time I have one attached, I will have to give that a try.

I have a way of removing ticks that is quick and painless - no tools required. You put slight pressure on the tick and rub in a circular motion for about a minute. The tick will back out completely and then you can dispose of it. You're welcome :D (yes it does work on any person or animal).

Does it matter if you go clockwise or counter-clockwise? And does it help to put on some relaxing mood music and light some incense before starting the massage? :D

Please don't make me imagine that...

Ticks were human sized and we humans had to massage them in a spa.

Also, make sure you look at the chemical composition on bug spray lables, at least for DEET (I've never tried Permethin). 10 percent is a bit different than 25. I always use deep woods off, which is about 25 and is skin safe, (and the highest concentration I can find), however, I'm phobic about sprays and only spray my clothes. So, I'm probably not the best to ask.

Don't forget to spray your shoes! Take duct tape - you can pull nonattached ticks off with it and keep them there if you don't like to touch them, but don't use regular scotch tape - they can pull out of it.

Beyond that, I really cannot add to the good advice so far given. Good luck!

I use 3M Ultrathon or Off Deep Woods Sportsman II. Both around 30%. Both work very well. Only ticks we've gotten is when we've forgotten to put it on before deciding to wade through head-high grass. Never heard of that permathin that people use to treat their clothes, but we, too, have a set of "cachin' clothes", so we're gonna pick some of that up now.

Great to get these ideas now that tick season is winding down!!!

You can find permethrin in spray or concentrate form in feed and farm supply stores. I buy the "hi yield" brand, 38% every year. A shot glass in a gallon bug sprayer sprayed around the outside of the house keeps out the ants. Its also used to treat for termites, or prevent them. It kills a lot of various insects. I can't imagne spraying my clothes with it. It can't be good for you... You're not supposed to use it indoors or on crops, or breathe the vapors. Putting it on your skin seems risky. I'd choose deep woods off. My uncle used to have 100% deet for hunting. A few drops here and there repelled bugs.

I've had ticks on me before. Never imbedded. My daughter had one on her throat, imbedded. It was gross. But tweezers and slow tugging removed it. I agree with someone else who said they are just part of life in the south. Pull them off, no big deal.

From what I understand they have to be on you a while for Lyme disease to take, not sure about spotted fever.

Permethrin does miracles, but remember, it's toxic to cats. We keep our treated caching clothes put away when not being worn. DEET is good, but can ruin some clothing. It dissolved my wife's belt. I've had limited success with tucking pants in socks. They still manage to sneak in. White/light colored clothing works well, as long as someone is "watching your back". For removal, grab them between finger and thumb, and pull till they come loose.

Someone mentioned guinea hens. Another idea I've heard of is spray permethrin on cotton wadding, let dry, stuff it into toilet paper tubes, and spread them around infested areas. Mice take the treated wadding back to their nests, become "treated" themselves living in it, and act as mobile tick baits. I'm thinking of dropping a few next time I hit Mallows Bay.

To the OP:

First of all, if you find the thought of ticks so unpleasant--don't go caching in areas where you think there might be ticks. I think you're completely overreacting, but caching is supposed to be fun, and if you're afraid of heights or water or caves or ticks, simply don't do those caches--there are plenty of others.

In regard to Lord Hill Park: There are 33 caches in LHP. It's a park with a variety of types of terrain and vegetation, and "heavily wooded" describes only a part of the park. Since LHP is a "stay on the trails" park, you won't be bushwhacking, so the type of vegetation is moot. Get Northwest Trails, which has all of the trails marked, for your GPSr, to be sure you can reach all the caches via a trail, and check for areas that may be closed for maintenance. I believe (I could be wrong) that ticks are more frequent in areas with high grass, and you won't be in such areas. You could even check with Ranger John Tucker, who works in Lord Hill Park, about ticks--I'm sure he'll have information to ally your fears. He's a cacher himself.

Last, a bit of personal experience--I've found thousands of caches in western Washington, including all of the caches in LHP, and I have never found a tick on myself here. I have visited the park in all seasons, wearing jeans and shorts, hiking boots and sneakers and Tevas. Ticks (and chiggers and...) were a problem when I lived in the South, but I honestly do not think you need to take extraordinary precautions to go caching in Lord Hill Park.

So quit worrying and get out and find some caches!

Edited by GrievousAngel