Why not allow LOCATIONLESS caches that can move?

ETDiver

first let me say I think Virtual and Locationless need there own pages . I want to place a Locationless cache for the following "To quallify you must have a picture of an item that can move under its own power. But is to large to be moved on the road without taking it apart. It must be so big when disasembled it would take a minimun of 2 semis or more. Just a tip a monster truck (like grave digger)is moved on one truck so it must be bigger than that" but it is not allowed because it moves what do others think ?

I watched a show on monster mechines on the discovery channel that gave me the Idea .

IMHO No. Your suggestion is not any form of cache and should not be part of this site or sport. Why do they even call them Locationless "Caches" they don't even fit the definition of a cache. Should be called locationless objects and in my opinion taken somewhere else.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

Your idea is fine. Since locationless caches are not located in any one spot, I really don't see why it matters if where you find one moves or not. Dredges fit your example. A lot of them have been abandonded in place but they had to be carted in, in parts, and they would float on the river/creek and slowly chew up the valley looking for gold while leaving tailings behind.

Wherever you go there you are.

Actually, the idea breaks one of the main guidelines for locationless submissions.

quote:
From the requirements page:

Locationless caches must be semi-permanent to permanent. For example, nothing that is mobile can be a locationless cache. Examples (nonexclusive) are cars, buses, helicopters, boats, etc. A local carnival cache is another example of a cache that would not be approved. If I mark coordinates at a location it should be there tomorrow.

The idea was submitted and was archived for that reason.

A fixed position for a particular object is what defines a locationless cache. After all, without a fixed location, uhh... locationless... er... no location... hmmm... wait a sec here... without a fixed location, a locationless cache would be... locationless? No, I must be confused somewhere. Location-less... without location... er...

Sarcasm aside, locationless caches are "Reverse caches," meaning you tell people what to look for and they post coordinates for it. The key words here are semi-pernament to permanent. Marking coordinates for a place where something "was" misses the point. The idea of the web site (and the sport) is to point out interesting locations you may have never found otherwise. The destination as the prize falls flat when you get there and the only thing there is some flattened grass.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

A fixed position for a particular object is what defines a locationless cache. After all, without a fixed location, uhh...

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Jeremy (Admin) wrote:

locationless caches are "Reverse caches," meaning you tell people what to look for and they post coordinates for it.

Isn't locationless a rather poor name for them? I think it's pretty misleading. When they reappear in a new form would it be possible to have a new, and clearer, name for them. Indeed, Reverse caches, perhaps!

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

quote:
Jeremy (Admin) wrote:

locationless caches are "Reverse caches," meaning you tell people what to look for and they post coordinates for it.

Isn't locationless a rather poor name for them? I think it's pretty misleading. When they reappear in a new form would it be possible to have a new, and clearer, name for them. Indeed, Reverse caches, perhaps!

Bill

This was discussed ones. I came up with the perfect name and was outvoted. The name that was chosen hasn't appeard yet. In use. And Jerimy has a valid point. If I should choose to seek out a locatinoless cache found by someone else I should find the item when I get there. So a dredge would work once it's abandoned in place, but not one still chewing up the valley (though if you found one I'm sure the EPA would be impressed)

Wherever you go there you are.

I go to :

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/special.shtml

it is on the Buxley's Geocaching maps web site which is http://www.brillig.com

buxley's has better maps than Geocaching.com but if you click on the cache site it will link you to the proper page on Geocaching.com . You can see a map of the world and just keep zooming in untill you find your state and some state are broken down in to small areas.for " normal " caches icon_biggrin.gif

Are there any other good Geo web sites?

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

Actually, the idea breaks one of the main guidelines for locationless submissions.

quote:
From the http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp:

Locationless caches must be semi-permanent to permanent. For example, nothing that is mobile can be a locationless cache. Examples (nonexclusive) are cars, buses, helicopters, boats, etc. A local carnival cache is another example of a cache that would not be approved. If I mark coordinates at a location it should be there tomorrow.

The idea was submitted and was archived for that reason.

This being the documented case, how did this locationless cache get approved?

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

The jeep cache and some other moving caches were approved prior to the 'semi-permanent' guideline. In fact, caches such as these were the reason for the rule, I believe.

I find it somewhat amusing at times how people keep pointing at other caches saying "they did it, why can't I?", when if they would re-read the guidelines they might notice:

quote:
Before posting a cache, first review the following guidelines and rules. This is a constantly changing and evolving sport, so the rules may change. Refer back before posting to make sure no new rules are added.

Keep in mind that there is no precedent for placing caches. If a cache has been posted in the past and break any rules listed below, you are welcome to report it. However, we honor the posting of older caches that came in before the rule was issued.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Sure, but it makes me feel better when I can point my finger at somebody else.

How does that work? This other person did nothing wrong... If *your* trying to blam someone you might consider looking at yourself. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you've followed the known guidelines and then dont approved, then yea you can complain. But ones lack of planning shouldn't be someone else's fault.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg