sudoko puzzle cache

slowfox

Thanks 4 all the advice but what I think I'm going to do is put out a 2 stage cache, the 1st being a trad cache containing the sudoko grids which will lead to a bonus cache thus reducing the number of cachers using t'internet to solve the sudoko.

Thanks 4 all the advice but what I think I'm going to do is put out a 2 stage cache, the 1st being a trad cache containing the sudoko grids which will lead to a bonus cache thus reducing the number of cachers using t'internet to solve the sudoko.

That would certainly reduce the number of cachers using the internet to solve the sudoku, but it will also likely reduce the number of overall finds. I typically don't care for caches which require me to spend a lot of time solving a puzzle in the field. The amount of time I have available to get out of the house and go geocaching is very limited, whereas I have lots of time in the evenings when I am at home with my family that I can spend solving puzzles. When I *do* get the opportunity to get out to go geocaching I want to spend that time actually looking for and hopefully finding geocaches rather than solving puzzles. It would be a good idea to include something in the listing of your multi (if it involves two stages it must be listed as a multi or mystery cache) indicating that it will require solving a puzzle which might take 2-20 minutes to solve (depending on the difficulty of your sudoku and ones sudoku solving skills).

That would certainly reduce the number of cachers using the internet to solve the sudoku, but it will also likely reduce the number of overall finds. I typically don't care for caches which require me to spend a lot of time solving a puzzle in the field. The amount of time I have available to get out of the house and go geocaching is very limited, whereas I have lots of time in the evenings when I am at home with my family that I can spend solving puzzles. When I *do* get the opportunity to get out to go geocaching I want to spend that time actually looking for and hopefully finding geocaches rather than solving puzzles. It would be a good idea to include something in the listing of your multi (if it involves two stages it must be listed as a multi or mystery cache) indicating that it will require solving a puzzle which might take 2-20 minutes to solve (depending on the difficulty of your sudoku and ones sudoku solving skills).

I'll plus one this, not very many people are going to want to solve a puzzle in the field. You could surely ease their frustration a little by making it very clear on the cache page there's a Sudoku to solve.

Very true though, it's super, super easy to find a Sudoku solver on the web. I'll admit to using one for what I think is the only true Sudoku cache I've found. :o There was another one, but it was a 6 x 6, which only took a few minutes.

Edit: By the way, I just looked, and Google auto completes "Sudoku Solver" before you even finish typing it. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Both the (free) Sudoku games on my phone have solvers built into them. And Sudoku caches are so 2007.

I have seen some pretty interesting variations though. The cleverest one I've seen was in Barcelona. First, you had to solve a 9x9 sudoku puzzle to get a grid of numbers. Then you were given set of four street names that bounded an area in the city. Because the city streets are layed out in a perpendicular grid as well, the sudoko puzzle could be overlayed over the city streets such that many of the buildings, small parks, or notable features corresponded to a number on the sudoku puzzle.

Then you were give a list of features which were associated with each of the digits in a set of coordinates. Using a city street map you could look up each of the features on the map, find the corresponding digit on the sudoku puzzle and plug that number into the coordinates.

The cool thing about it was that, other than how to solve the sudoku puzzle, everything was spelled out in the cache description about how to map the numbers. If it hadn't, I wouldn't have described it here.