Logging Etiquette

Hiya, everyone,

I have a quick question regarding logging a cache. Yesterday (Friday, 7/15), I found a cache nearby my home while I out running some errands. I got home and logged the cache, only to find it missing from GC.com. I found the cache via my GSAK database and found that the cache had been archived by Groundspeak. My database had been updated three days earlier, and I had found through another geocacher that the cache had been archived between that time.

I went ahead and logged the find, as I did make the find.

This has caused a bit of grief with a local geocacher who said that I shouldn't have logged an archived cache (the CO was placed on a six month suspension at the beginning of July and had his 150-200 active caches archived on 7/13). My belief is that I made the find, so I should be able to log the cache. When I made the find, I did not know that the cache had been archived. Had I known, I wouldn't have gone after it.

Opinions?

Shouldn't cache with 'old' data!

If the cache is there, log it!

If the CO is upset, they should remove the cache, to prevent it being logged.

Always best to review data held in GSAK, to make sure that caches that don't get updated are checked to either be marked as Archived, or removed from the database, to prevent logging Archived caches, or worse, looking for caches that have been removed.

Anything in my GSAK over a week old is checked out to see it's present status, before going out to look for it.

Edit to add:

Interesting.

Is it SERIOUS High Rollers of Maine Caching CHALLENGE cache?

As a Challenge cache it should be marked as a ? type.

And. No Archive log on it.

I see you logged it two days after it was Archived... Data in GSAK is not really considered old at only two days...

Now, if it had been two or three weeks old. :laughing:

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I suspect the OP got his 'grief' from someone other than the CO...someone who should mind their own business.

If a cache is archived, that means it is available to be logged, especially in the case where one might be WAY behind in logging.

If a cache is RETRACTED, that means it can't be logged (and usually that it shouldn't have been there in the first place).

You found the cache, signed the log in the cache, so logging it online is fine.

Cache pages aren't supposed to take on the characteristics of a forum thread, so comments about you logging it are out of line.

Lots of angst and drama with that one...should have been a "?" if it is a true challenge cache, cache owner banned, archived cache not picked up by the cache owner, etc, etc.

I have logged archived caches. When we first started caches, I didn't really know about logging online. When I am able to know the date when we found a cache, I have logged it. Some were archived by the time I got around to logging the find, oh well.

If Groundspeak wants a cache to be no longer able to be logged online, they can lock the cache page.

Happened to us - cache active when we loaded the GPSs, but sometime between then and the next day it was archived. We found, we signed, we replaced, we logged online. The CO was fine with it - joked that had he known we were going that way, we could have brought it in from the field for him.

The other cacher has his opinion, but I am not sure that "you shouldn't log an archived cache" is correct.

Signed the logbook, log a smile. Doesn't matter if it's still listed or not. I've found a few caches that had been archived for 5+ years and claimed a find.

I consider whether or not the cache would have been a valid/approved cache by gc.com before I would claim a find on gc.com. I once found a cache that was placed to harass a 14 year old girl. I was FTF and I got it archived. No, I did not claim a find.

An abandoned cache left as geotrash, yeah maybe. If you found it before the owner had a chance to pick it up, okay why not.

Opinion of the cacher who argue with you is of no importance. Cacche in place. Find cache, sign log, log on-line. Fairly simple. I've only loged archived caches a few times. Loaded the GPX files a week before I left. Coincidentally, in Maine. Caches archive before I got there, but still in place. (They're probably still there!) I have no problem logging them. I found them!

...a local geocacher said that I shouldn't have logged an archived cache

What an odd notion. :unsure: I'd love to hear their logic behind it. I'm sure they feel their rather peculiar belief system is the "correct way things are done", as they felt the need to impart their belief system on you. I'd just like to know what quirky circumstances occurred to make them reach such a bizarre conclusion.

You found a cache.

You logged a cache.

It's really not that complicated... :unsure:

...a local geocacher said that I shouldn't have logged an archived cache

What an odd notion. :unsure: I'd love to hear their logic behind it. I'm sure they feel their rather peculiar belief system is the "correct way things are done", as they felt the need to impart their belief system on you. I'd just like to know what quirky circumstances occurred to make them reach such a bizarre conclusion.

I'm not as convinced that the advice is so outlandish as to be obviously mockable on the face of it. In this particular case I think logging the cache is completely appropriate. But there are other situations where I'd discourage someone from logging an archived cache. Especially if the listing is any sort of a touchy subject. (For example, I'd advise against cachers hunting for and logging archived virtual caches. It's a good way to get Groundspeak to lock the listings, creating headaches for cachers who are behind in their logging or spinning off individual accounts from family accounts, etc.)