spiders...

cptravelbug

Are you asking the question because of the "dangerous animal" cache attribute? If so I think it would be most helpful to mention whatever the spider issue is on the cache page. Even though Bamboozle is right, some spiders actually can be dangerous, I doubt most people would think of spiders when seeing the "dangerous animal" attribute.

Bean

Depends on the type I'd say. If a cache is in an area where spiders are likely to be, then I think a note in the cache description would be a good thing. Whether it would qualify for a dangerous animals attribute, IMHO, would depend on where you are and just what kind of poisonous spiders are around. (Think only the Brown Recluse is native to Michigan so I wouldn't worry so much about it, but somewhere that Black Widows are native to would be another story.)

We have brown recluse and PLENTY black widows ( they love LPC's )......both can cause serious problems.....don't put your fingers where you can't see, always carry an extension mirror and a small powerfull flashlight.

Awesome idea- am extension mirror! thank you - I have had a week of moving stones from wallls and perring into dark spaces wuth lots of spiders and as a novice I have not had great luck/percentage finds. I have been bitten twice by something and lots of stingling nettles too - think I'll take a glove too :)

No, at least not worth a warning note. It is just something that anyone over 5 should be able to keep in mind when traveling about in the world. Re Brown recluse in Michigan.. better let someone know if you've seen one.. they aren't supposed to be there.

good spider data is found at http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcreclusespiders.htm

Always been told that the Brown Recluse was the only poisonous spider in Michigan, but didn't know just how rare they were till now.

From the Michigan DNR website:

Because the brown recluse cannot live in temperatures below 40°F, Michigan is not high on its list of vacation hotspots. In fact, the brown recluse is extremely rare in Michigan, having been documented here only once. In this case the spiders were found in a heated building and were probably introduced in materials shipped from the southern United States.

On the other hand, it seems we do have Northern Black Widow spiders. :(

would you consider spiders as "dangerous animals"?

I would!! Spiders scare me more than just about anything!!!!!

Same here.

Fortunately we who live in Western Washington have very little to fear from the Arachnids of the region. Phobias? Sure. Dangerous? Not so much.

The way I think about it, and this may not be a thought process applicable everywhere, is that there are certain risks every cacher should be aware of and on the look out for every time they search for a cache.

A quick list:

It's not the smartest thing to cache alone

When looking for an LPC, wasps and other nasty insects may be there

When looking for a cache in the woods look out for bear, coyote, people, etc (my region)

A cache in a bush may stir up bees

Any holes or dark, dry undisturbed places may contain spiders

When in woods or near water, you may stumble upon a snake

There's more, but you get the idea. So, unless the cache is in an area that would put you at risk more than usual for a dangerous animal, area, or insect, it should be understood to look out for any of these things. If the cache is in an area where you're more at risk, note it on the cache page.

For example, I have a cache near a stream. When placing this cache, I noticed that there were a lot of snakes around. Will they be around in the winter? No. But the first sentence on the cache page was "Look out for snakes: Not only on the ground, but also above your head!" But I didn't elect to use the "dangerous animal" attribute, as there are usually snakes near water and rocks.

I hope this was helpful :antenna:

Edited for spelling

Edited by RhinoInAToga

would you consider spiders as "dangerous animals"?

I would!! Spiders scare me more than just about anything!!!!!

Same here.

Fortunately we who live in Western Washington have very little to fear from the Arachnids of the region. Phobias? Sure. Dangerous? Not so much.

What about those massive ant hills you have?