Virtuals Need A Page of Thier Own

Klause Von Kuhn

I see that the majority wants to give the locationless caches a separate page like the benchmarks. I think that's great. My question to the Admin. is, can you do the same for virtuals? I think people get out of hand with those as well. What's the reason for the virtuals anyway? If you want to bring someone to a certain location just to see something new, why not just place a traditional cache there? The virtuals to me are rediculous and I have chosen never to log them. But look at D.C., now that's a joke. I'm sure everyone in America has learned all about the history there, simply from going to school. I ask that you give the virtuals thier own page also.

I have been on some virtual caches that are more of a hike and more involved than many taditional caches. Just because the majority of virtuals are easy walk-ups doens't mean they all are.

Here's a virtual cache that has been listed on the Chicago website as an absolute favorite in it's category "Don't miss this one" - more votes than any other. Each log on the cache specifically states that this cache is one of the best they've ever found. Why is it a virtual? Boxes aren't allowed in the area. Should that preclude any caches being placed there? If so, it would be a profound loss to caches in our area. Don't condemn them all because of the majority.

Stricter guidelines? Sure. I had one that I submitted because SWMBO wanted it - I thought it shouldn't have been a cache. We submitted it and thank goodness - it was denied. Just another graveyard.

The reason so many want locationless caches in a separate category is that one of the fundamental aspects of Geocaching is lost (i.e. find something at a given set of coordinates).

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Klause Von Kuhn:

But look at D.C., now that's a joke.

You do understand that it's illegal to place physical caches in National Parks (and thus, on the Mall in DC), don't you?

While lame virtuals are fairly common, recent tightening of the guidelines appears to be solving this problem.

I'm sour on virtuals, because most of them I think to myself, "I could put a cache here." I mean a micro is better than a virtual.

For instance, there is a virtual that is an old train engine. You simply get the number of the engine and email it in. Yeah, it's neat, but not much of a challenge.

However, there is a huge potential missed. Can you imagine knowing there is a mirco hidden somewhere in/on/under that engine? How long do you think it would take to comb that whole thing?

That's the reason I asked long ago about physical caches taking precedence over virtuals. Places like this are wasted opportunities in my mind.

But, I guess virtuals have their places, as well...

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I'm sour on virtuals, because most of them I think to myself, "I could put a cache here."

...there is a virtual that is an old train engine. You simply get the number of the engine and email it in. Yeah, it's neat, but not much of a challenge.

However, there is a huge potential missed. Can you imagine knowing there is a mirco hidden somewhere in/on/under that engine? How long do you think it would take to comb that whole thing?

Places like this are wasted opportunities in my mind.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't yet visited a virtual that wouldn't have been a good physical location.

Jamie

I've been to the locomotive mentioned above.

I've been to the Chicago area virtual mentioned above (Maramek).

Both are fine caches; Maramek is very, very good.

Besides Virtuals, the future issues, I'm sure, will be the "pill-bottle-fication" or the "internet-involved-mental-challenging-ten-step-ten-day-multi-cachification" of traditional sites/areas...

My point would be is: quit complaining. The flexibilty of geocaching complicates itself. Those cache placers of virtuals, myself included, had to make a decision when creating a cache. We all know the guidelines (mostly). Hopefully, the best choice was made (for everybody). We all attempt to make it a fun, exciting, interesting, somehow important find; virtual or otherwise.

Someone could ask Lance to update/upgrade/modify the locomotive... he might be very receptive. (perhaps offer to supply the way-kewl magnetic thingy you're thinking of building. I'm sure this is the case, we're all thinking of building a way-kewl magnetic thing-a-ma-jig cache thingy).

Someone could ask Twocampers to update/upgrade/modify the Maramek cache... he absolutely wouldn't.

If you want a GREAT cache, place one... but, I know of two locations that are already taken!

~bspeng

quote:
But look at D.C., now that's a joke. I'm sure everyone in America has learned all about the history there, simply from going to school.

I somehow doubt that.

Anyway, not all geocachers are Americans. Do you really mind that the tourists touring DC are able to do so simply by going for historical virtuals?

I had a great time in London picking up virtuals and seeing a heck of lot that I'd never have seen as an 'ordinary' tourist.

And no... A microcache is not necessarily better than a virtual.

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

For instance, there is a virtual that is an old train engine. You simply get the number of the engine and email it in. Yeah, it's neat, but not much of a challenge.

However, there is a huge potential missed. Can you imagine knowing there is a mirco hidden _somewhere_ in/on/under that engine? How long do you think it would take to comb that whole thing?

Sounds like this one:

Old 470 (GCAE12) by brdad (2.5/1.5)

(Link made by Watcher 0.1.31, available soon. Check this thread or visit the #geocache chat room for details.

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Personally, i dont care what you think

quote:
Originally posted by Klause Von Kuhn:

I see that the majority wants to give the locationless caches a separate page like the benchmarks. I think that's great. My question to the Admin. is, can you do the same for virtuals? I think people get out of hand with those as well. What's the reason for the virtuals anyway? If you want to bring someone to a certain location just to see something new, why not just place a traditional cache there? The virtuals to me are rediculous and I have chosen never to log them. But look at D.C., now that's a joke. I'm sure everyone in America has learned all about the history there, simply from going to school. I ask that you give the virtuals thier own page also.

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

And while we're at it, let's put webcams on a section of their own. People don't like micro's, let's put them on their own. In fact, let's put every sub-type on a section of their own, and make everyone pay to play, and anything else we can think of to suck the fun out of it....

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

next, everyone will be wanting a separate page for micros, multi's, puzzles. Use Watcher-0.1.30 you can download it here: http://clayjar.com/gc/temp/ and filter out whatever it is you don't like. No one is forcing you to do virtuals. I like them for days like tomorrow, the day after a blizzard when the caches are under 2 feet of snow. Have you tied snow caching? It ain't easy.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

the origional post was for virtuals...I agree, I would like to have virtuals seperated from regular caches...and locationless have their own page as well. However....let's ask....and not get to upset if it don't work out. I don't know how much work it is to reformat everything...probably more than I would want to do.....So it's a pain having virtuals on our cache pages.....I still love and support the site!!

We're going on a treasure hunt...we're not quite sure just where...but with our trusty GPS, we'll find a cache stashed there!!

By Daughter Cheryl

[This message was edited by Northern-Lights on February 23, 2003 at 02:31 PM.]

I'm sorry if this offends anyone but...if your not a charter member and supporting this site..your complaints probably fall on deaf ears.....I know they would if I was running the site. The fee helps keeps things running.....it don't pay for asprin to cure the headaches caused by non-paying people complaining about things. Maybe a "suggestion" or a helpful thought would go further than a complaint.......just my humble opinion.

We're going on a treasure hunt...we're not quite sure just where...but with our trusty GPS, we'll find a cache stashed there!!

By Daughter Cheryl

[This message was edited by Northern-Lights on February 23, 2003 at 02:30 PM.]

It is kinda like TV or rock music - if you don't like it don't listen. You know where the on/off button is - use it. No need to try and spoil what others like. I won't complain about your "real" caches if you don't complain about my "play" ones. But hey - if this is a game, and it is, then let everybody "play." Peace, out & HAPPY CACHING - whatever form it takes for you icon_wink.gif

Does the walker choose the path, or the path, the walker? - Sabriel, by Garth Nix