Help with a few topics please

Hi there,

I don't know if any of you can help, but i can't seem to find the answers anywhere online ( have looked but possibly just not seeing it!)

Ok i have a Magellan GC, i find it really hard to orerate and have got to the point i may as well not have it ( it was a Xmas present), i have Emailed and FB magellan quite a few times and i never seem to get an answer :unsure:

I ideally need to know how to get 100% accurate reading when i am doing waymarks for possible new caches, i found it once but for the life of me can't remember how to do it again and there are no online guides that i can find that give a difinitive answer. Its all a little bit La-la for me! I need things spelt out simpleton like lol.

Secondly i really really need to know if anyone has a contact for the Forestry commission in East Sussex ( i set out a brilliant load of caches and made the newbie error of not contacting them before-hand, anyhow the numbers i have for them are a digit short and no-one seems to have a correct number for them) also the email address bounces back :huh: ) so i have a series of caches which i am going to have to go back and collect in as i can't contact anyone for permission :surprise: . A shame really as it took nearly 5 hours collectiong co-ords and then nearly as long placing them :ph34r: ( Darn Muggles!)

And lastly please can someone point me to the direct link for the printable log sheets, the link i have takes me to the GC home page but i can't find anywhere on the page that takes me to the print log books bit.

Sorry for so many Q's but i've sat around on these for a while hoping that i could get some answers from fellow local cachers, but i haven't made the more recent meetss and i'm getting desperate :D

Many thanks for any replies

Hi there,

I don't know if any of you can help, but i can't seem to find the answers anywhere online ( have looked but possibly just not seeing it!)

Ok i have a Magellan GC, i find it really hard to orerate and have got to the point i may as well not have it ( it was a Xmas present), i have Emailed and FB magellan quite a few times and i never seem to get an answer :unsure:

I ideally need to know how to get 100% accurate reading when i am doing waymarks for possible new caches, i found it once but for the life of me can't remember how to do it again and there are no online guides that i can find that give a difinitive answer. Its all a little bit La-la for me! I need things spelt out simpleton like lol.

Secondly i really really need to know if anyone has a contact for the Forestry commission in East Sussex ( i set out a brilliant load of caches and made the newbie error of not contacting them before-hand, anyhow the numbers i have for them are a digit short and no-one seems to have a correct number for them) also the email address bounces back :huh: ) so i have a series of caches which i am going to have to go back and collect in as i can't contact anyone for permission :surprise: . A shame really as it took nearly 5 hours collectiong co-ords and then nearly as long placing them :ph34r: ( Darn Muggles!)

And lastly please can someone point me to the direct link for the printable log sheets, the link i have takes me to the GC home page but i can't find anywhere on the page that takes me to the print log books bit.

Sorry for so many Q's but i've sat around on these for a while hoping that i could get some answers from fellow local cachers, but i haven't made the more recent meetss and i'm getting desperate :D

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/HCOU-4U4HZK#SouthEastEngland

http://support.magellangps.com/support/assets/manuals/Magellan_eXploristGC_UserHandbook.pdf

Not sure about the logbooks bit. I either use a small notebook - or lined paper - or design my own.. from memory there's nothing special about the downloaded one?

For all other answers, GIYF :)

I ideally need to know how to get 100% accurate reading when i am doing waymarks for possible new caches

We would all like to get 100%, but it's not possible with consumer market units!

You may mean 'Average' the readings. I'm sure someone with that unit can help.

:)

Ah no what i mean is it gives you a count down to 100% as opposed to just taking a reading in seconds, it can mean a difference of about 5 ft lol. I know its never 100% on the ball

Hi there,

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/HCOU-4U4HZK#SouthEastEngland

http://support.magellangps.com/support/assets/manuals/Magellan_eXploristGC_UserHandbook.pdf

Not sure about the logbooks bit. I either use a small notebook - or lined paper - or design my own.. from memory there's nothing special about the downloaded one?

For all other answers, GIYF :)

Thanks , but the number listed for the FC is wrong, i have tried that site, tried all internet searches, tried emailing them and it just doesnt work. I'm beginning to think thats why the area i had in mind is completely cacheless :-(.

Have read the Magellan guide, downloaded and still can't find the answers lol, ah well never mind

Thank you though :)

Edited by loopyhoop

The GAGB have already got an agreement for caches to be listed in the FC South East England region (which includes East Sussex). For full details of how to go about getting permission using the interactive form please see here:

GAGB Permissions Agreement with FC South East England region.

(If anything there doesn't work please let the GAGB know :) )

MrsB

I have just spoken to a lovely lady Re permission, Yay! should hopefully have the caches up and running in the summer hols! (subject to validation)

Thank you

There are a few downloads that may help you on the GAGB download page HERE

Always remember to include a Cache Note in your cache, there is also a handy contact card with a standard rate phone number that is monitored by the GAGB in case of damage, moved or in the wrong place.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Always remember to include a Cache Note in your cache, there is also a handy contact card with a standard rate phone number that is monitored by the GAGB in case of damage, moved or in the wrong place.

Or buy some of the GAGB cache box labels - they also have the number on then ....... and a bargain at only 50p each. :)

Edited by Maple Leaf

Or buy some of the GAGB cache box labels - they also have the number on then ....... and a bargain at only 50p each. :)

60p each or 5 for £2.50

Ok, well the link provided with the PDF format application is now out of date, so after 4 hours of sitting at the pc filling in , finding map location links and then submitting, it turns out i have to fill in a different up to date application form which is in word format.

However you now can't just provide a map link for them to check, you have to get a map, in scale 1:10000 and pin point your caches on there, then forward a individual map for each location.

Which is all lovely but i haven't a clue how to do,all i manage is to get something that looks vaugely like a map but with no points on! I've had other friends try and help but to no avail so i will go back this week and collect in all the ammo boxes, tubs, containers and travel bugs i left as i really can't get my head around it!

No wonder this area is completely un touched by Caching hands :sad:

Thanks for all your help people :)

I've had other friends try and help but to no avail so i will go back this week and collect in all the ammo boxes, tubs, containers and travel bugs i left as i really can't get my head around it!

Don't give up!!! I'm sure someone on here will be able to help, I think the Magic maps do 1:10000 scale, but not sure about getting it to place pinpoints, on the other hand Bing and Streetmap will place pinpoints but I think they only go down to 1:25000;

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Don't give up!!! I'm sure someone on here will be able to help, I think the Magic maps do 1:10000 scale, but not sure about getting it to place pinpoints, on the other hand Bing and Streetmap will place pinpoints but I think they only go down to 1:25000;

The MAGIC map itself is not that easy to use. There is an excellent link you can put coordinates into (in any format) and get a map with a pointer. You can then zoom in or out - the best way is to use the Scale box (lower right) and change the default 6000 to 4000, 2000 or 1000 to zoom right in or 10000 or 20000 to zoom out.

Link to Magic MapIt!

If you want more information about using MAGIC, getting coordinates and controlling the layers then click here.

Don't pan around the map as the pointer arrow doesn't move!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

The MAGIC map itself is not that easy to use. There is an excellent link you can put coordinates into (in any format) and get a map with a pointer. You can then zoom in or out - the best way is to use the Scale box (lower right) and change the default 6000 to 4000, 2000 or 1000 to zoom right in or 10000 or 20000 to zoom out.

Link to Magic MapIt!

If you want more information about using MAGIC, getting coordinates and controlling the layers then click here.

Don't pan around the map as the pointer arrow doesn't move!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Thanks people, i have tried that map and i find it quite easy to use, however i just can't get it to print with the pinpoints on, i can't screenshot it to the right scale with the points on and if i manage to print anything at the right scale and then manage to get the locations right with a biro it then scans into my pc at the wrong size :unsure: ... Homer Simpsons DOH! springs to mind :sad:

To get back to one of the original questions posed by the OP.

I have used various Magellan units (100 & 500 models) over the last 6 years without any problems in location accuracy.

As others will tell you, it's easy enough although it does take a little time.

1 Make sure that the screen indicates a GPS accuracy of 30', or better.

2 Take a reading at the cache site.

3 Walk 50 to 100' away then slowly walk back to the cache, wait 30 secs for the GPS to settle, then note the reading

4 Repeat step 3 at least another 10 times, but walking in from a different direction/angle each time.

5 You should now have 10 to 12 readings which very closely agree (if they don't then go home because you are obviously having one of "those" days!)

6 Average out the readings, and there is your cache location.

It's basically common sense and needs no electronic gimmicks.

And, of course, it works for any make or model of GPS!

Thanks people, i have tried that map and i find it quite easy to use, however i just can't get it to print with the pinpoints on, i can't screenshot it to the right scale with the points on and if i manage to print anything at the right scale and then manage to get the locations right with a biro it then scans into my pc at the wrong size :unsure: ... Homer Simpsons DOH! springs to mind :sad:

Do they require you to send them a printout of the map, or will an Electronic copy via Email suffice?

Do they require you to send them a printout of the map, or will an Electronic copy via Email suffice?

No, as far as i am aware a email copy of the locations ( different pins for each location or 5 different maps ) on the map are fine

Thats what my scout leader mate was tring to sort out but even he hit a brick wall

To get back to one of the original questions posed by the OP.

I have used various Magellan units (100 & 500 models) over the last 6 years without any problems in location accuracy.

As others will tell you, it's easy enough although it does take a little time.

1 Make sure that the screen indicates a GPS accuracy of 30', or better.

2 Take a reading at the cache site.

3 Walk 50 to 100' away then slowly walk back to the cache, wait 30 secs for the GPS to settle, then note the reading

4 Repeat step 3 at least another 10 times, but walking in from a different direction/angle each time.

5 You should now have 10 to 12 readings which very closely agree (if they don't then go home because you are obviously having one of "those" days!)

6 Average out the readings, and there is your cache location.

It's basically common sense and needs no electronic gimmicks.

And, of course, it works for any make or model of GPS!

Yep i do all that ! but what i'm trying to find out is how i get the menu i had before, it asked if i wanted to take reading now ( or something like that ) or click on more accurate reading, it then counted down from 5 or 10 and then gave the reading :D

Its more of a hunt for the menu option as opposed to "needing it" to hide or make waypoints B)

No, as far as i am aware a email copy of the locations ( different pins for each location or 5 different maps ) on the map are fine

Thats what my scout leader mate was tring to sort out but even he hit a brick wall

That shouldn't be too difficult, if you want to mail me the sets of co-ords through my profile I'll knock up some maps for you tonight.

That shouldn't be too difficult, if you want to mail me the sets of co-ords through my profile I'll knock up some maps for you tonight.

Oh thank you so much :) , that would be absolutely 100% fantastic.

You are an absolute star.

I've been sat at the PC for hours today trying different maps and i just haven't got anywhere.

I'll find my co-ords book ( threw it in a huff earlier and think the dog took it off down the garden!) and send them to you :D thankyou so much again.

Oh thank you so much :) , that would be absolutely 100% fantastic.

You are an absolute star.

I've been sat at the PC for hours today trying different maps and i just haven't got anywhere.

I'll find my co-ords book ( threw it in a huff earlier and think the dog took it off down the garden!) and send them to you :D thankyou so much again.

You've got mail, hope it helps!

teach a man to fish....