Which gives you a better feeling?

PapaGPS

Finding a cache, or hiding a cache that lots of people will find? Or maybe that very few will find?

I prefer hiding a cache that a few will find, but those that find it will enjoy the experience greatly.

I am not smart enough to figure out how to hide a cache that many will find and enjoy greatly that does not also require a ton of maintenance.

Finding a cache :D

But I really enjoy hiding caches at special locations somwhere in the mountains which sorround the valley I live in.

Generally I like to hide caches in the way I want to find others: on a hike in the woods / mountains, discovering special places a bit off the hiking track (but not so much off you would destroy anything) and when you sit at home in the evenings to log your finds, you are satisfied because of the exercise, the places visited and the well-deserved "found it - points" earned.

A friend of mine once asked me a similar question, and we quickly established that I got more pleasure out of hiding caches than I did in finding them. The conversation turned to what kind of caches I like to hide, and I said, "I like to hide caches that get lengthy logs". We debated this for some time, trying to nail down some specific quality that would result in lengthy logs, but the best we could come up with was something along the lines of, "A cache that gives the players an interesting experience will typically generate longer logs than those caches that are forgotten a week after they are logged. The higher the degree of 'interesting', the longer the logs". While this principle is not chiseled in stone, it has, for the most part, proved accurate.

A friend of mine once asked me a similar question, and we quickly established that I got more pleasure out of hiding caches than I did in finding them. The conversation turned to what kind of caches I like to hide, and I said, "I like to hide caches that get lengthy logs". We debated this for some time, trying to nail down some specific quality that would result in lengthy logs, but the best we could come up with was something along the lines of, "A cache that gives the players an interesting experience will typically generate longer logs than those caches that are forgotten a week after they are logged. The higher the degree of 'interesting', the longer the logs". While this principle is not chiseled in stone, it has, for the most part, proved accurate.

This is what I prefer too. Hiding caches that get good feedback, usually in the form of lengthy logs, sometimes in the form of just a few words - "Wow", "Great view", "Thanks for bringing me here."

Agreeing to this one...

Hiding a (decent or quality) cache. Something that others enjoy and will remember (usually associated with a "place" or "sight").

Finding such also rates pretty high with us.

LPC, generally micros (not always), or mundane cache that exist simply to exist.... nah.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I can't decide. I get good feelings from both, but they're totally different feelings so I can't compare.

I agree with this statement completely! :) I enjoy hiding a cache both for myself and others, but I only like finding a cache for myself... So I guess that means I enjoy hiding more? But I also recognize that hiding a cache is a very special thing that takes time and effort on my part. Finding a cache can be pretty straight forward.

Of course both, but I love getting e-mails from people who find mine.

It's not if lots or few people find it, but if it's more or less than I expected. More people than expected found my first cache, GC2X0RX, which was nice (even though it is sort of a lame cache), but way fewer people than expected (read: zero) have found my most recent cache, GC2YKXD. It looks like it's hard to access on the map, but in all actuality it is probably only a ~500 foot hike from the road plus a cool cave. It's been up since the 20th without so much as a FTF attempt.

Wow! What a hard question. I love finding caches, but then I love hiding them too. There's nothing like finding a cache and realizing all of the hard work that went into hiding it. But when I hid a cache I know I have put a lot of hard effort into it too, and when I get a really nice log that just makes my day.