Cache Saturation

Dont you hate it when there are those one or two cachers that go out and place hundreds of geocaches, all IDENTICAL from the last? Here in Colorado Springs, there were lots of fantastic caches and lots of places to still be used for brilliant multis and puzzles to be placed, and now there are hardly any spaces available from a few cachers placing the typical "Camo Micro." Are there people that do this anywhere else? Does it annoy anyone else??

We've found a few thousand caches accross 48 states and in my book a nice camo'ed micro is as good as it gets ( wouldn't mind a few hundred more in our area). I do like regulars and large as well but they tend to be easier to find. We don't normally do multi's or puzzles no matter how brilliant......it just goes to show that different folks like different things.

Dont you hate it when there are those one or two cachers that go out and place hundreds of geocaches, all IDENTICAL from the last? Here in Colorado Springs, there were lots of fantastic caches and lots of places to still be used for brilliant multis and puzzles to be placed, and now there are hardly any spaces available from a few cachers placing the typical "Camo Micro." Are there people that do this anywhere else? Does it annoy anyone else??

Since they own so many, I would think that if you find a good spot nearby, they may not mind moving/archiving one of the clones if you ask them nicely.

In a privious thread we concluded that the maximum number of caches in a 10mile radius is around 36000. That same thread had people list the number of caches in a 10 mile square around their house. I think the max was around 2000. So, I don't really believe people who come here and say that their area is saturated.

Edited by Andronicus

A few days ago I asked here why someone would want to place 100's of similar caches, as the log entries would be rather dull. The two best responses were that it was someone wanting to say they've placed XXX caches (numbers) and that people place what they like to find. I don't see the joy in placing 100's of identical caches as it seems the thrill would wear off after 20 or 30.

As for saturation, here are some comparable numbers:

Within 10 miles of Colorado Springs (on 5/26): 1846 caches

Within 10 miles of downtown Denver (6/15): 2412

Within 10 miles of my house (6/15): 2704

The highest density I'm aware of is a spot east of San Diego that has over 3000 caches within 10 miles.

Edited by Ecylram

In a privious thread we concluded that the maximum number of caches in a 10mile radius is around 36000. That same thread had people list the number of caches in a 10 mile square around their house. I think the max was around 2000. So, I don't really believe people who come here and say that their area is saturated.

36000 only works in an empty environment. Since most people live in areas where there are buildings, roads, open areas (i.e. grass area of parks, trails, parking lots), privet property and other areas that are off limits, that number starts getting smaller very fast. Then not everyone can cache or place a hide 10 miles from their home in all directions. There are rivers, lakes, mountains, or places where the bushes/blackberry vines/nettles grow so fast and thick it would be a waist of time for most people even to try to place a cache there. Then when you factor in the fact that some people only want to put out quality hides or hides that will last, then the number possibles gets really small.

You will find people like that everywhere. In this game there is no minimum standard required for a hide or for a cacher. Anyone regardless of skill or brain power can hide anything and call it a cache and get it posted (as long as it fits in with Groundspeaks requirements). Two things to remember: 1. Just because you can put a cache there doesn't mean you should. 2. There are a lot of cachers that would rather do a few quality hides that hundreds of "look-a-like, low level, garbage hides". The best thing to do is be get creative with your hides. Look at the thread "Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)" for some great ideas.

Wow! Looking at this map centered on your MICRO "Not your average pill bottle" you really do have a cache saturation issue.

The map zoomed out to 20 miles shows that.

Usually I can look at the area of someone complaining about saturation and see lots of ares that would hold caches.

For you, not so much!

Good luck.

And I have never seen so many PMOC in an area before. WOW!

Wow! Looking at this map centered on your MICRO "Not your average pill bottle" you really do have a cache saturation issue.

The map zoomed out to 20 miles shows that.

Usually I can look at the area of someone complaining about saturation and see lots of ares that would hold caches.

For you, not so much!

Good luck.

I don't know... I see a large forested area to the North West, and some river valleys to the North East. Looks like some great potential cache locations

A few days ago I asked here why someone would want to place 100's of similar caches, as the log entries would be rather dull. The two best responses were that it was someone wanting to say they've placed XXX caches (numbers) and that people place what they like to find. I don't see the joy in placing 100's of identical caches as it seems the thrill would wear off after 20 or 30.

The highest density I'm aware of is a spot east of San Diego that has over 3000 caches within 10 miles.

San Diego has 2300, the highest density within 10 miles in Portland with nearly 3000. Within 5 miles prague had 1300, which is the higher then Portlands.

I have just about 800 within 10 miles, my cache saturation sucks. Geocaching is nigh impossible compared to 2500+ some places have

Edited by Coldgears

I just put a cache on the Ute Valley Park today (not published/reviewed yet) but I was about 587 feet away from a micro cache down the hill by Subway.. I do regret that we have so many LPC's and micros in shopping centers that it takes away from caches that do provide more benefit than going to a strip mall. I agree, I have found some LPC's and even the one at subway I mentioned and now realize after trying to find a spot up on a hill nearby that has some AWESOME views of Colorado Springs that I had to modify my location so I'd be 528 feet away from the other MICRO/NANO cache in the strip mall down on the ground.

I know of some other places where I'd like to put caches out that would be more beneficial to the game, but depending on how you play, most people are in it for the "numbers" these days, but that's for another discussion that has been discussed hundreds of times..

Sure would be nice to go back to the old days...

I have just about 800 within 10 miles, my cache saturation sucks. Geocaching is nigh impossible compared to 2500+ some places have

Hmm... 1094 caches within 10 miles of me. Only 371 I haven't found. 40 are either disabled, or puzzles I couldn't solve. Guess I might as well quit geocaching since it is nigh impossible :blink:

Hmm... 1094 caches within 10 miles of me. Only 371 I haven't found. 40 are either disabled, or puzzles I couldn't solve. Guess I might as well quit geocaching since it is nigh impossible :blink:

817 for me, 419 unfound. Yeah, nigh impossible.

San Diego has 2300, the highest density within 10 miles in Portland with nearly 3000. Within 5 miles prague had 1300, which is the higher then Portlands.

That's about four times as many as I have available from my home location. A few years ago I had found every cache with 15 miles at home.

From where I am sitting right now, there are 19 caches within 10 miles and I'm in middle a city with a population of over 22 million people.

That's about four times as many as I have available from my home location. A few years ago I had found every cache with 15 miles at home.

From where I am sitting right now, there are 19 caches within 10 miles and I'm in middle a city with a population of over 22 million people.

It says in your profile you live in Ithaca not NYC... Unless you recently moved, you're not nowhere near the middle of 22 million people.

It says in your profile you live in Ithaca not NYC... Unless you recently moved, you're not nowhere near the middle of 22 million people.

NYC only has 8,391,881 people, according to he census. Think he's on one of his trips. Beijing?

The metropolitan area of NYC has 22 million... Assuming you mean city proper, then you may be right.

He said he's there; he didn't say he lives there.

NYC only has 8,391,881 people, according to he census. Think he's on one of his trips. Beijing?

The metropolitan area of NYC has 22 million... Assuming you mean city proper, then you may be right.

NYC has more than 19 caches, shirley?