Cheapest usable Handheld GPS

Been using my iphone and the Geocaching.com paid app with great success recently. All the features are great and its fantastic for spur of the moment finds.

But it has struggled a couple of times with accuracy and we have had to look at the hint to help find it. I also would like to hide a cache and realise that accuracy when hiding is very important.

So i want to buy a cheap handheld unit to compliment my phone. The unit doesn't need any fancy features, touch screens, paperless caching options or any other such £££ stuff, just a good battery,

basic weather resistance and a display so show me the GPS location.

Any ideas on a suitable unit and where would be best to get it?

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

Anything from the Garmin eTrex series will be accurate and cheap. Look for one with 'H' in the model name as this denotes the high sensitivity receiver. The only word of warning (which has already been said) is on the eTrex H which has a serial port connection which can be a pain in the bum whilst the others have a USB port.

As far as retailers go, Google is your friend. Handtec and Pentagongps seem to have good prices and I've heard good words about both although I've not dealt with them myself.

If you're happy with second hand, check out the 'UK Geocaching Car Boot Sale' thread pinned to the top of this forum or fleabay.

Good luck.

Having just started geocaching myself.....my crackberry works well with Cachesense

But I also have a Etrex H - thankfully my PC still has a serial port.

Both the smartphone and GPSr compliment each other well, with the blackberry making up for some functionality missing of the Etrex & allows paperless geocaching.

Having just started geocaching myself.....my crackberry works well with Cachesense

But I also have a Etrex H - thankfully my PC still has a serial port.

Both the smartphone and GPSr compliment each other well, with the blackberry making up for some functionality missing of the Etrex & allows paperless geocaching.

+1 For accuracy, my BB is top notch and far superior to my Etrex H.

For mounting on the bike, getting wet and generally throwing around however, the Garmin wins and does normally settle down to about 10th from GZ. I've recently downloaded Gsak to use with the Garmin which I'm lead to believe will allow me to download hints, logs etc straight to it.

Edited by firestars

I've recently downloaded Gsak to use with the Garmin which I'm lead to believe will allow me to download hints, logs etc straight to it.

GSAK can indeed handle logs, hints and the description, but the eTrex H won't. There is a macro to put limited information on to the little Garmin, but you are limited to 6 characters for the cache name and 30 (or it might be 50, can't remember without looking) for the comment.

Edited by Andy K!

I've recently downloaded Gsak to use with the Garmin which I'm lead to believe will allow me to download hints, logs etc straight to it.

GSAK can indeed handle logs, hints and the description, but the eTrex H won't. There is a macro to put limited information on to the little Garmin, but you are limited to 6 characters for the cache name and 30 (or it might be 50, can't remember without looking) for the comment.

You only need 6 characters, so thats no bother. As long as I can grab and download the hint, im happy.

If it's to go alongside a smartphone, the eTrex H is a good choice... the phone can do the paperless stuff. It's under £60 new from a store that wants you to turn round when you get there and go outdoors again.

The data cable is available in USB, but I've not tried one. I have a homemade cable and USB-Serial cable which works just fine on the youngsters Windows machine. Not tried on the Mac as GSAK not available.

Whilst the eTrex can only do 6 characters, the first 2 are always GC and so the rest are unique... GSAK can strip the first 2 characters off.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Anther vote for the etrex series. As mentioned before i would stay away form the etrex and etrex H due to the serial connection issues. I have a etrex Legend H that is perfect. You should be able to pick one up for under $100. Especially if you get one used.

What issues? £6 for a USB cable on Fleabay.

Anther vote for the etrex series. As mentioned before i would stay away form the etrex and etrex H due to the serial connection issues. I have a etrex Legend H that is perfect. You should be able to pick one up for under $100. Especially if you get one used.

What issues? £6 for a USB cable on Fleabay.

Agree.

I use etrex H, cable off net.

It has been dropped, taken out in heavy rain, screen is easy to see in the sunshine, works well under trees, not had any complaints about its accuracy. Rechargeable batteries have lasted over 2 long caching days before needing changing. Cost about £60, again off net.

Yes it has its drawbacks being cheap it does not have all the added extras, but then more robust than a smartphone.

I have read somewhere that a handheld GPS is supposed to be more accurate than a smartphone, something about GPS and triangulation signals?

I was lucky and found a not so popular gps to the extrex on ebay for £20, it was a garmin 12, worked very well, then picked up a garmin III also off ebay for under £20 for the kids to use, however I liked this one better as it was more accurate and we have only recently upgraded thanks to another cacher who sold me their garmin 60map, which I love as well.

Only drawback is the serial connection, if you want to connect to a computer...

ARRGGGHHHHH!!!

I don't know why people keep saying this! Every time someone says it, someone else corrects them.

USB leads for ETREX H have been available FOR YEARS!!!

Thank you

Mark

ARRGGGHHHHH!!!

I don't know why people keep saying this! Every time someone says it, someone else corrects them.

Thank you

Mark

... Leads and adaptors can bump the price up. No harm in doing some research.

Seems those with an adapter are having problems with the drivers, when they upgrade to the new windoze OS.

Do the research, if you can find a lead/adapter, that doesn't bump the price to nearly the same as a higher spec unit, go for it!

:P

If you get an old unit and need a lead... Got a link?

:)

ARRGGGHHHHH!!!

Thank you

Mark

... Leads and adaptors can bump the price up. No harm in doing some research.

Seems those with an adapter are having problems with the drivers, when they upgrade to the new windoze OS.

Do the research, if you can find a lead/adapter, that doesn't bump the price to nearly the same as a higher spec unit, go for it!

:P

If you get an old unit and need a lead... Got a link?

:)

Yes... That £6 cable linked above bumps the price of the eTrex H up to a whopping £65 quid or so new.

If Windows keep moving the goalposts and breaking drivers... Install Linux, it's free and fast.

If Windows keep moving the goalposts and breaking drivers... Install Linux, it's free and fast.

That's a brave suggestion! Linux drivers have caused me hours of tourment! :laughing:

cautionary.png

You and me both! Once I get it working though, there's no tendency to break itself again like with the commercial OSs... OS X isn't quite as bad for it IMO, but I still always fear big fixes!

I just wish I had something capable of running AIX!

Every time I install Linux, it goes straight on, works first time, and doesn't stop working.

Every time I install Windows, I've had to mess around with looking for additional stuff like: screen drivers, printer drivers, software, antivirus, something to replace Internet Explorer, I have to type in long codes to prove I didn't steal it, wonder why the version of Excel I got years ago, no longer works on this new Windows, find a way to tell it that I don't use DHCP because in each version of Windows they put the control panel somewhere else, or call it something else, or pretend it no longer exists. And, once per year or so, you have to reinstall it because there's so much cruft built up. http://drdobbs.com/184405140

Now when people ask me stuff about Windows, I tell them it's too complicated for me, ask someone else.

A few years ago the vehicle registration number L1NUX was for sale on ebay for £10k

I mentioned this on a programming forum I frequented saying "I thought Linux was supposed to be cheap!"

One of the other bods replied:

"That's Linux alright! Fits any hardware but you'll need to use a screwdriver!"

:lol:

Mark

A few years ago the vehicle registration number L1NUX was for sale on ebay for £10k

I mentioned this on a programming forum I frequented saying "I thought Linux was supposed to be cheap!"

One of the other bods replied:

"That's Linux alright! Fits any hardware but you'll need to use a screwdriver!"

:lol:

Mark

I know the guy who has that number plate. Very impressive!