Log deletion

I have had 20 of my logged finds deleted by the owner for no reason. He says that he thinks I'm a Jerk but as far as I know he has never met me. Even if I am a jerk (not saying that I am mind you) is it allowed to delete ones logs after I have found the cache far and square? <_<

GS probably won't do anything about it. It comes down to "he said she said". The CO may have deleted it for no good reason but if they tell GS they don't think you signed the log then there isn't much they can do. In the end they will likely side with the CO.

But I did sign the logs all 20 of them, some that I did with others. His email just said that he didn't like the way I wrote my log entries and will not let me do any more of his. Does that seem like a fellow geocacher. This is supposed to be a fun game. :unsure:

GS probably won't do anything about it. It comes down to "he said she said". The CO may have deleted it for no good reason but if they tell GS they don't think you signed the log then there isn't much they can do. In the end they will likely side with the CO.

Why would they side with the CO when the OP has email from the CO calling him a jerk and saying that is why he deleted the logs?

I have a feeling there is more to this than the OP let's on, but if the CO deleted his logs for no reason other than he just doesn't like him then personally I think he should have all his hides archived and be banned from hiding more. COs are supposed to want people to find their caches.

Once again, it seems there may be more to the story than is being told so far..

Just out of the blue, and for no reason whatsoever the CO heard angelic voices from above telling him you were a jerk.

Did you not perhaps suggest the caches in question were not truly to your liking?

I may have said that the cache called "lake view" that I did at night and couldn't see the lake.......... But that is no reason to throw a wobblie is it? This is a game after all.

If you found the caches and signed the logs and didn't post any spoilers, I can't see any justification for deletion. If your log language wasn't family friendly, I would have asked you to edit it. If you did cut and paste logs, even that (in my opinion) isn't reason enough for deletion.

Did the CO call you a Jerk in a private email, or on the log page?

There is always a chance that it could have been someone else's logs that the CO meant to delete and yours were deleted in error.

Groundspeak will be able to see the deleted logs and reinstate them.(I think.) Try not to let it bug you - I would have this CO on my ignore list for the next little while.....or only do the odd cache here and there of theirs.

Edited by popokiiti

But I did sign the logs all 20 of them, some that I did with others. His email just said that he didn't like the way I wrote my log entries and will not let me do any more of his. Does that seem like a fellow geocacher. This is supposed to be a fun game. :unsure:

Re-log them TFTC.

Always log caches by this CO TFTC.

If it really matters, go back and take photos of the log with your sig on it.

Some people can't stand a little criticism...

Of course if you were just plain rude, that is a different story...

If they emailed through Groundspeak then there is likely a trail that Groundspeak can look at to see what happened. These things are rarely really deleted.

I think the log that got him all riled up must have been this one:

June 6 by Ferret Patrol (2089 found)

Added a dry piece of log paper but the tube is a bit small. No bricks to get from this wall Mr Floyd. Reading past logs it seems that only a few have actually climbed to the top to sign this log. I didn't know that Geocaching rules allowed you to sign for someone else? Using ladders and such might also not actually be concidered Cricket. Still it looks like everyone had a good time. The locals came out to cheer but no one asked what I was doing. One can atually drive up to within 15 feet of this cache vertically. Thanks for such an interesting time.

This entry was edited by Ferret Patrol on Tuesday, 07 June 2011 at 14:16:00 UTC.

Of course, I don't know what you edited out on the 7th.

Edited by GeePa

Over to Groundspeak... contact@geocaching.com Let them deal with it from here, and I would suggest you refrain from trying to make peace with the CO any more. Maybe life has dealt them some blow or other, and you and your logs were in the right place but at the wrong time. Good luck, and I hope things work out.

Berlin is a hard cache and for one person to climb the wall and sign for all the other is not fair but I don't think that I was that rude in the log, was I and it was not a Native_Texan cache anyway.

Actually I liked this cache so much that I contacted the Berlin CO off the record and said "....-- Copy of email sent to Setheriah --

Just wanted to say off the record what a great cache this was and I had a great time doing it. Put some more of these up please as they are much better than the Lamp skirt caches. Thanks once again Pete - Ferret Patrol.

:D :D

Berlin is a hard cache and for one person to climb the wall and sign for all the other is not fair but I don't think that I was that rude in the log, was I and it was not a Native_Texan cache anyway.

Actually I liked this cache so much that I contacted the Berlin CO off the record and said "....-- Copy of email sent to Setheriah --

Just wanted to say off the record what a great cache this was and I had a great time doing it. Put some more of these up please as they are much better than the Lamp skirt caches. Thanks once again Pete - Ferret Patrol.

:D :D

I didn't think it was too bad. At least not bad enough to get all excited about. However, I never say anything unkind about the cache or anything like that in a log. If I wanted to inform a CO that there were questionable logs then I would have PMed him and let him sort it out. After all, it is his cache. Around here people often find caches as a team and whoever finds it passes to everyone else to sign. i have no problem with this. The beauty of caching is that you can play it like you want and it does not hurt anyone else and everyone gets to have fun in their own way.

"Prime Reviewer" is the reviewer for Texas.

It's not kosher to post private emails in public forums. If you feel the other person has been abusive, then there is a sticky at the top of the forum that explains how to deal with it.

Log deletions for no legitimate reason...also contact Groundspeak.

Seriously...edit your post to delete the other guy's email address at least.

(ibtl)

Re-log them TFTC.

Always log caches by this CO TFTC.

If it really matters, go back and take photos of the log with your sig on it.

Some people can't stand a little criticism...

Of course if you were just plain rude, that is a different story...

Better yet use a blank log :laughing:

Doesn't like you? I don't like your avatar. Much too cute. :anicute:

Well, mpilchfamily wrote what your're quoting here before more information came out, but no, Groundspeak is not going to side with the guy because he doesn't like what you write on a computer screen, and apparently the cache log that is his major beef isn't even his cache. You signed the log, I predict they'll be re-instated no problemo.

Posting the guys emails and email address here? I don't think you should have done that. Too late to edit out as some have suggested, since it's been quoted by other people. :D

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I hid some posts containing private email addresses. Don't do that. Forward the emails to Groundspeak as part of your customer service ticket.

Thanks for that. I just cut and pasted the conversation and didn't think about the email addresses. As you can see I don't post very often but wanted advice on this from the more experianced crowd.

GS has reinstated one of our logs. They didn't require any verification of a signed log book, though I did provide them with a photo of my family at a nearby cache (a well-known cache) and they could see the other found logs we had that day to prove we were there when we said we were.

It probably helped that the CO had a well-known history of deleting logs for no reason.

But I still think it is worth sending them an email about it.

I hid some posts containing private email addresses. Don't do that. Forward the emails to Groundspeak as part of your customer service ticket.

For the record, I edited out the other guy's email address in my post. I left the poster's email because I figured he didn't mind it being there since he's the one that posted it. (which was sort of confirmed when he edited his post and did the same)

For the record, I edited out the other guy's email address in my post. I left the poster's email because I figured he didn't mind it being there since he's the one that posted it. (which was sort of confirmed when he edited his post and did the same)

Thanks for helping out. I'm waiting on GC to hear my Case...