Alien Search Party - The 2nd Invasion!

Just got back from the event after running the series for 3 days - what a blast! It was great to see all of the cachers that I've already met and to get to meet several others. It was also a treat to see that Magellan GPS company came out to support and sponsor this event with some freebies - like a couple of GPSrs...

jeff.jpg

Thanks Clay4 & whtwolfden for both this series and this event...

Just got back from the event after running the series for 3 days - what a blast! It was great to see all of the cachers that I've already met and to get to meet several others. It was also a treat to see that Magellan GPS company came out to support and sponsor this event with some freebies - like a couple of GPSrs...

Where was Garmin?

Where was Garmin?

I've noticed that Garmin seems to pretty much avoid any geocaching event, especially one that involves Groundspeak. Guess they don't feel that with their immense size they need to bother supporting geocaching.

Where was Garmin?

I've noticed that Garmin seems to pretty much avoid any geocaching event, especially one that involves Groundspeak. Guess they don't feel that with their immense size they need to bother supporting geocaching.

Probably don't want to hear Geocachers complain about the idiocy of certain features and why they don't ever listen to their, perhaps strongest userbase. Go figure.

Indeed, what a great time was had.

The new trail is no cake walk.

More Geo Art in the desert N.W. of Rachel, Nv. was released on the night of the event. >>> " U.F.O. ". another ~ 7 mi. walk

I'm sure it will be a cake walk after the SUVs carve a direct path between the caches.

What diect path are you talking about? The ones on the road you just pull over and jump out and find the cache, they are like 50 ft off the road. The goe-art you have to walk 7 miles total. Most vehciles were not suvs. I even saw a smart car. Were you there?

That Smart car surprised me.

That critter rolled along with the best of them.

The driver of that rig was a solo cacher and flat worked his tail off getting the caches taken care of.

The driver of said rig was also a stellar CITO individual. The orange bag he had conveniently placed on the rear of his rig was filled to the brim when I passed him at ET 0050.

Hats off to the gentleman in the Smart Car ... hats off to the Smart Car as well.

Edited by humboldt flier

More Geo Art in the desert N.W. of Rachel, Nv. was released on the night of the event. >>> " U.F.O. ". another ~ 7 mi. walk

I'm sure it will be a cake walk after the SUVs carve a direct path between the caches.

What diect path are you talking about? The ones on the road you just pull over and jump out and find the cache, they are like 50 ft off the road. The goe-art you have to walk 7 miles total. Most vehciles were not suvs. I even saw a smart car. Were you there?

Despite the fact that the listings for the Alien Head caches specifically asked people to walk the path there were a lot of geocachers that drove from cache to cache. There was also video evidence posted which showed geocachers pulling off the road onto the berm and closer to the caches on the original ET trail. Apparently, as long as they're able to reduce the time in between finds a little environmental damage is not an issue.

Where was Garmin?

Probably don't want to hear Geocachers complain about the idiocy of certain features and why they don't ever listen to their, perhaps strongest userbase. Go figure.

Actually, they were at Geowoodstock, and even somehow got away with promoting some website of theirs:

6096810246_e702e54ce5.jpg

The sun would start rising in the west if briansnat was there. No, he is just extrapolating from what he imagines.

My Hat is off to the owners of this trail for the monumental effort that went into all aspects of the new, N.D.O.T. approved trail

A huge undertaking.

So that others can get out and play.

Me: I am a coastal wimp. The desert beat me into submission very early. I barely made a dent in the series. ( My goal was to go for the fun >>> and I had it )

Met some great folks and swapped numerous Geo-Yarns and Tall Tales.

Met two crews who were caching animals and powered through in 21 hours - met others who took multiple days to complete it.

BEST OF ALL: Met two retired librarians who were overjoyed and tickled pink at having met their personal goal of capturing 100 caches along the trail and having the staying power to make it into Rachel for the kick off event. ( GREAT JOB LADIES )

Edited by humboldt flier

That Smart car surprised me.

That critter rolled along with the best of them.

The driver of that rig was a solo cacher and flat worked his tail off getting the caches taken care of.

The driver of said rig was also a stellar CITO individual. The orange bag he had conveniently place on the rear of his rig was filled to the brim when I passed him at ET 0050.

Hats off to the gentleman in the Smart Car ... hats off to the Smart Car as well.

I'm sure my buddy, Dale, won't mind me giving him up. He's the Smart Car CITO Star! :lol: --> D Force's Profile

The sun would start rising in the west if briansnat was there. No, he is just extrapolating from what he imagines.

He's extrapolating from previous events and human nature.